Surfing Beginner

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Ok, so last year when we were in Santa Cruz, there is a Surf Shop across the street from where we stayed. I came home and googled it and they give lessons. It has been on my mind that it would be cool to take a lesson or 2 and see what it is like.
My question is, what type of "shape" should one be in to safely learn to surf.
I am a "bit" over a desireable weight but not obese (5"10"- 237 as of now).
I am a fair swimmer, but never in the ocean. What would be a good starting point to be reasonably fit so as not to "get gassed" while learning.
I've heard that surfing uses basically all of the muscles in your body and would hate to take lessons one day and not be able to move the next.

Thanks,
Matt

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
I'm 6'6" 300 lbs...I surf so you can too!
For me, squats and core training. Practice "popping up" like in the movie Point Break as part of your training. Muscle memory is huge to standing up on a board.
Good luck:sombrero:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Learning to surf is a commitment that takes time. The good part is that every step of the of the way is fun!

Most lessons are about an hour so I think you'll be fine going back to back days. I would not describe "1st time surfer" lessons as a serious physical challenge. It's more about basics. The muscles in your lower back, upper back between your shoulder plades, shoulders and lats will be get the biggest workout. If you want to prepare I would recommend spending some time in the pool.

As for surfboards, use a longboard between 9 and 10 feet long. Learning on anything but a longboard is a waste of time. They paddle easier and more stable once you pop up. On your first day (first few months for that matter) you will not benefit from a short board.

Have fun!

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info guys...hopefully we can get down to Santa Cruz by late summer and I'll go talk to them. Surfing looks like it would be a really cool experience...

Navman

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys...hopefully we can get down to Santa Cruz by late summer and I'll go talk to them. Surfing looks like it would be a really cool experience...

That's a bit of an understatement. The only people I know that tried surfing and didn't become addicted were the ones that never liked the ocean in the first place.

When I started surfing 25 years ago there were no lessons. It was you buddies giving you a crappy beat up board that you got worked on for a while until you got the hang of it. Nowadays they are really good with the lessons at getting you up and surfing your first day. Plus, a 9-10 ft softtop longboard really helps out. I highly recommend a lesson.

Even my wife, who is terrified of the ocean, decided to try it in Hawaii last fall and she got up on 3-4 waves in about 20 minutes. I was out surfing myself and wouldn't have believed it unless I saw the pictures.

Santa Cruz is an incredible place to surf. There is so much variety and choices depending on swell, wind, tide, crowds, board choice, etc. If I'm not away for the weekend then I can usually be found somewhere in SC surfing.

If you ever get to Pacifica, University of Surfing does a good job with lessons and Linda Mar is a great place to learn as well.

And yes, as cheesy as it sounds, practice popping-up like in Point Break. They'll have you do it in the lessons as well.

Surfing is a very difficult sport to master but very rewarding. It is now easier to get into it then ever before but it take a lot of practice to get good. Definitely go for it and let us know how it goes.

Edit:
As far as the muscles in your body, your arms, shoulders, upper back will feel it. Short lessons won't be bad but you'll know you did something. My wife couldn't believe how physically hard it was. She actually has respect for me now when I go surfing.

Last edited:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
In high school I used to surf religiously (Umhlanga Beach, Natal, SA), entered the Gunston 500 and subsequently the Mr Price Classic.

Work on your core. Work on it some more. Like an earlier poster said do squats and core. Deep squats. Like almost touching your butt to the floor and explode up. Other good exercises are balance exercises. Squate on an inverted bosu ball(half ball on ground), then do 1 leg squats on a bosu ball.

Lots of work. Is it worth it? Chicks dig surfers...

-Sam

exploreFL

Observer
I am an avid surfer and I say just go for it! Sure you will probably be tired pretty quick, but that will change with time! like stated above, you could practice popping up to your feet, try taping out an area in the shape of a surf board, 10'x23". This way you will have a vague concept of the size of the board you will most likely be learning on! The most important thing is to just go for it and have a blast, you will get addicted! Oh and size doesn't matter that much, I am 6'7" and 240 and it doesn't affect me!:wings:

Wander

Expedition Leader
If you get the bug that 237 will be headed downward and you'll have a blast-win/win.

+ 100 the long board, when I learned it was on a triple fin 6"6' board-not easy, I wish long boards where around then but you could only find short boards here in the East Coast until maybe 10 years ago. Long boards where old fashioned and only found in Hawaii or something stupid like that.

Have fun, resist the urge to buy a pukka shel necklace!:sombrero:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Dude!....If Girls can do it.....:sombrero:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7nxaT7h8CE"]Surfer Girl - (Full Program)[/ame]

There seems to be a lot of how toos on youtube now.

I rode my first wave off Waikiki Beach at the age of 7. Bought my first surfboard with paper route money delivering the Sun Press newspaper on my bike in Kahala at the age of 9, and I got shake the Duke's hand the day I bought my first surfboard. It was $225 bucks! That was a lot of money back then especially for a kid! It was a 9' 6" Duke Kahanamoku. It was so huge for a little kid, that I couldn't even get my arm around it to carry it. My friend had to help me put it on my head, or help carry the back end for me....but I was dedicated! I was going to Surf no matter what!

The mini boards were not invented yet.....although my local friend surfer dude and I designed our own mini boards and went to a shaper to have them made. We were just 13 years old, and these were some of the first mini boards on Oahu.

Start with a large board as stated above. It will be like standing in your living room with a better view and the sun and salt spray on your face. If you can ride a bike, you can Surf! Once we learned on the Cadillac, we wanted a Porsche!

Just Do It! It's not just a sport, it's a Lifestyle. It will change your outlook on life.

(Disclaimer....no Newbie Surfers were harmed while typing this post! Now just where is my Newbie Surfer Smilie when I need HER!??)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Go out there and do it. Once you get it, you got it. Like riding a bike. There are few things more satisfying then a great wave.

lol. Surfing almost changed my life... (almost made me fail first and last period in high school)... :coffeedrink:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Put on "Step Into Liquid" last again....wish I had the $$ to take a couple of weeks off and just go...
The next time we are in SC I am going to take lessons.

Wiley

Adventurer
Read up on Surfers etiquette, regarding who has priority etc...will make your transition into surfing much easier as well.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Edit:
As far as the muscles in your body, your arms, shoulders, upper back will feel it. Short lessons won't be bad but you'll know you did something. My wife couldn't believe how physically hard it was. She actually has respect for me now when I go surfing.

Maximus, I'm about your size, but I'm in the worst shape of my life even though I still ride enduro and mountain bike, still paddle, but the swimming out thru the waves quickly wore on me (where's that crying like a school girl smilie?). I preferred short lessons a couple days in a row.

Swimming on the board with head up was very unnatural and uncomfortable for me.

I'll surf again the next time we go to Syaulita, but 'till then it's back to the Skookemchuck (close to my house and jives with my existing skill set:wings:)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxFlj4gw4io"]YouTube- EPIC Skookumchuck[/ame]

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Read up on Surfers etiquette, regarding who has priority etc...will make your transition into surfing much easier as well.

Definitely. A good resource for this is the local life guards, if you are on a beach that has them. ALL lifeguards surf, and they will know where the choice areas are that have all the hardcore surfers. Best bet is to stay away from these areas until you are very experienced. These folks take their hobby seriously, and will get very bent out of shape if you get in the way.

Good point. The last thing you want on your first day is to get yelled out by locals for dropping in on them. Of course, if you're taking lessons this shouldn't be an issue.

And whatever you do, DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO.

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/19...+films+great+white+sharks+circling+his+board/

Crazy. At least on the gulf coast the water is murky enough so you can pretend they aren't there. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal