Surprised no one is discussing the Cybertruck today.

rruff

Explorer
Maybe auto manufacturers could install reactive air bags on front bumpers. Could better protect peds and also help out with deer/moose/elk hits too? šŸ¤”
I guess it would to be radar, lidar or something like that? A sensor that would detect an imminent collision and quickly deploy something to cushion the blow. It would probably be easy to implement on "self driving" vehicles, but pretty expensive on others.

CyberTruckOne

I've got nothing against EVs in general (though I think the cyber truck is uber ugly), what I have a problem with is the government artificially forcing their adoption, and the banning of ICE vehicle production. EVs have strong points and weak points. I really don't think if left to fend for themselves that the technology is there yet to entice consumers to drop ICE vehicles in favor of EVs. But let consumer demand (or lack there of) drive the EV market, and let the chips fall where they may.

And don't get me stated on EVs and the environment :rolleyes:
Im for free market too, but geez the gas and oil industry make EV subsidies look like child's play. Not to mention we spend billions if not trillions defending and or stealing oil reserves around the world.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Im for free market too, but geez the gas and oil industry make EV subsidies look like child's play. Not to mention we spend billions if not trillions defending and or stealing oil reserves around the world.

Fossil fuel hatred isn't going to speed the adoption any faster, the world isn't ready for full EVs yet, get used that fact.

Last edited:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Would you please enlighten us as to the subsidies for gas and oil industries that aren't available to other industries as well?

And lets compare apples to apples:
EV's are vehicles, oil and gas are manufacturing and distribution.​
Please compare EV subsidies to ICE vehicle subsidies and oil and gas subsidies to green tech subsidies.

I think you will find the opposite:
The subsidies used by oil and gas are generally available to a wide range of industries and are in place to keep the cost of goods and services down.

ThundahBeagle

While that is true, people like to say that without realizing...no matter WHAT the natural resource that makes things live or go, humankind will be defending and stealing it. If our cars ran on poop, someone would be running around after my dog trying to pick it up, and my dog would turn back-biting if someone over zealously grabbed at his anus.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
FaQUGxRVEAE9rzk.jpg

Last article is pretty interesting.

Back to the topic at hand:

Last edited:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
And this is how lithium is strip mined:
1strip mining excavator.jpg
For scale, the arrow is pointing to a man by the machine.

. . . Not to mention we spend billions if not trillions defending and or stealing oil reserves around the world.
I know our government is incompetent but with all the wars and military interventions we have had we still have to buy our oil on the international market.

View attachment 813499

Last article is pretty interesting.

Back to the topic at hand:
And this is how lithium is strip mined:
View attachment 813633
For scale, the arrow is pointing to a man by the machine.

I know our government is incompetent but with all the wars and military interventions we have had we still have to buy our oil on the international market.

You know you can make batteries without lithium, right? LFP being the most common alternative, there is also sodium. In fact you can make EV batteries out of lots of elements. Also, to remind everyone again, these elements arenā€™t consumed in the battery, they can and will be used in future batteries.

But in keeping with the theme here is a photo to share

1704518028181.jpeg

Welcome to Expo! The front page of this site and the magazine Overland Journal has some occasional EV overlanding coverage, but the EV sub here has mostly devolved into what-about-isms and change anxiety.

There is a fair amount of first person Rivian Overlanding content on the web but it doesnā€™t seem to make it to the forums here. Inspite of Rivian having a history of involvement with the community.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
You know you can make batteries without lithium, right? LFP being the most common alternative, there is also sodium. In fact you can make EV batteries out of lots of elements. Also, to remind everyone again, these elements arenā€™t consumed in the battery, they can and will be used in future batteries.

But in keeping with the theme here is a photo to share

View attachment 813720

Lithium-ion being the current (heehee....) favorite battery in EV'S makes your point incorrect!

And there is no "change anxiety" here, a simple glance thru the posts will prove that most of us here on the portal aren't against EV'S, we are against the push to outlaw ICE vehicles when the current crop of EV'S do not meet our requirements.

And the cost of recovery of used battery elements makes battery recycling almost a moot point!

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Lithium-ion being the current (heehee....) favorite battery in EV'S makes your point incorrect!

And there is no "change anxiety" here, a simple glance thru the posts will prove that for most of us here on the portal aren't against EV'S, we are against the push to outlaw ICE vehicles when the current crop of EV'S do not meet our requirements.

And the cost of recovery of used battery elements makes battery recycling almost a moot point!

Remember the ā€œenlightened oneā€ā€¦ wonā€™t respond because he thinks you are meā€¦ definitely seems pronoun confusedā€¦šŸ˜†

While that is true, people like to say that without realizing...no matter WHAT the natural resource that makes things live or go, humankind will be defending and stealing it. If our cars ran on poop, someone would be running around after my dog trying to pick it up, and my dog would turn back-biting if someone over zealously grabbed at his anus.
My car runs on sunshine

DFNDER

Would you please enlighten us as to the subsidies for gas and oil industries that aren't available to other industries as well?

And lets compare apples to apples:
EV's are vehicles, oil and gas are manufacturing and distribution.​
Please compare EV subsidies to ICE vehicle subsidies and oil and gas subsidies to green tech subsidies.

I think you will find the opposite:
The subsidies used by oil and gas are generally available to a wide range of industries and are in place to keep the cost of goods and services down.
Many of the subsidies for extractive energy industries are not available to other industries, and they are more than substantial. Thereā€™s a reason Europeans pay 2-3 times what we pay for gas and heating oil. We just pay for it differently and donā€™t realize it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad