Suzuki Owners; Let's see your ExPo Trucks

unionmine

Hello I'm new to expedition portal. I have had my samurai for about a year and boy have plans changed. at first I was going to build a nice mostly stock rig with a spring over and 31" tires. then I thought about a dedicated crawler and that just seemed a little useless to me. so I have tried to combine the two. I started off with a 88 soft top
and decided I would be happier with a tin top so I did a body swap about two weeks ago.
I have most of the suspensions finished. I'm running a Toyota front Axel with 5.29 gears high steer and a Toyota ifs steering box. the rear is a trail gear rock assault for the samurai so the diff is off set to the right side and 5.29 gears . I'm running a 4.1 transfer case and heavy duty Toyota drive lines. my springs are 5leaf wranglers in the back and trail tough rear with reversed eyed springs up front. I'm running 35" BFG km2 on 15x8 eagle 589 wheels. The motor is stock so it passes smog in California but it has fairly low miles.
it still sits in the garage for now. I only need to do a couple more things to get it drivable. I will be doing bumpers and a rack soon. sorry but i only have a couple of pictures for now. the pictures are a little old but I will take some more and post them soon.

3k13o43l75T45Q05X4a6ge5adf7f1bc191c1c.jpg

Last edited:

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Getting more "expo ready," just after a wash. New two-inch BDS Suspension lift. Also bought a used Reese Shadow hitch, which I cleaned up, primed, prepainted, and installed. Can't wait to hit the dirt.

2011-08-21-14-07-40.jpg

- Andy

Riptide

Explorer
Finally got the bulk of this year's mods done; went back to SPUA, using OME springs and shocks. New GY Duratracs in 235's on some refurbished TX-1 wheels. New ZOR bumpers (mostly), with a refurbished Warn winch, newly spooled with Superline.

Already planning to install the other pile of parts I have, mainly to improve reliability. Also cutting off those stupid nerf bars from the PO...

Pics are from a beach run the other day...

P1010826email.jpg
P1010824email.jpg

I love these little Sami's. As my dad would say (about me), "not too slow, not too fast. Just half-fast."

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Getting more "expo ready," just after a wash. New two-inch BDS Suspension lift. Also bought a used Reese Shadow hitch, which I cleaned up, primed, prepainted, and installed. Can't wait to hit the dirt.

2011-08-21-14-07-40.jpg

- Andy

Looking good Andy. You gonna bring it down to Hollister?

Ray

Riptide

Explorer
Riptide the Sammi's lookin good. :ylsmoke: Any close up's of the rear bumper?

I'll get some. Overall, I'm happy with how it came out.

BE, oddly enough, I've been smitten with your rig, to the point that I'm in the early stages of squirreling away parts for a nice little tintop. Getting excited. I have a coworker who offhandedly mentioned awhile back I could have his banged up tintop for free if I wanted it. I didn't think much of it, until I came across an awesome tintop body for cheap the other day. Coupled with all the stock parts I just took off my softtop, and I'll have most of the makings for a great little machine someday.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Thank's Riptide. I enjoy the heck out of it. I'm in the middle of redoing my roof rack now. Changing lights and adding an xtra fuel tank. Let see some pic's when you get the tintop body.

Riptide

Explorer
Riptide the Sammi's lookin good. :ylsmoke: Any close up's of the rear bumper?

Just took these. Threw a can up there just for reference - it's not strapped in.

Brian, give me some details on the extra tank... Are you going with the PW 15 gallon unit, or a separate tank?

Attachments

• P1010849email.jpg
    P1010849email.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • P1010851email.jpg
    P1010851email.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 153
  • P1010848email.jpg
    P1010848email.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 147
  • P1010850email.jpg
    P1010850email.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Riptide nice bumper! Is the tire rack your work? Separate 16gal. above deck Moeler Marine fuel tank in the rear of the roof rack. Tank is 43wx15lx7.75h fit's the rack nice and tight.

Riptide

Explorer
Riptide nice bumper! Is the tire rack your work? Separate 16gal. above deck Moeler Marine fuel tank in the rear of the roof rack. Tank is 43wx15lx7.75h fit's the rack nice and tight.

Naw. The bumper and tire carrier are from Myron at ZOR (Zuks Off Road) in AZ. I did have the shackle mounts welded on. Seems pretty stout. I rattle-can painted it for the inevitable scratches it will suffer, and possible future mods. The front bumper center section is from ZOR also, but the wings were fab'd locally.

Using a boat tank is an interesting idea. I assume you're gonna leave the tank mounted up there? Lifting a 100 lb load up to the roof after filling sounds like a struggle, and filling it up on the roof oughta catch a few glances. Is the tank baffled?

Pics when you're done!!

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Yes the tank will be mounted in the rack. Will be plumbed wih marine quick diconnects. No baffles in tank I'm hoping the short height will help.

GCRad1

Adventurer
zukrider - AWESOME!!!

zukrider, that is way cool and looking forward to you crawl2expo transformation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk