Swivel or Static Lunette Eye?

waterboy222

Adventurer
Ive decided to switch out the old 2" standard coupler on my trailer and trying to decide which lunette to go with..

It would seem that in a "close to tip over" situation, a standard non-rotating lunette eye would keep the trailer from rolling over.. Am I correct in thinking this?

I can see the advantage of 360* Swiveling lunette eye as well.

Can someone who has had experience with both chime in with some advice?

Thanks!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You want the trailer to be able to rotate independent of the vehicle.

"It would seem that in a "close to tip over" situation, a standard non-rotating lunette eye would keep the trailer from rolling over" Think about this if the tow vehicle is going to tip and the lunette is not rotating the trailer has to follow the truck. If the lunette rotates, the trailer will stay on the ground. All of course depends of the situation.

This is why all the off road trailers have a 360 rotating hitch.

waterboy222

Adventurer
Ok so maybe I have my terminology wrong, but is this a "swiveling lunette" eye or what?

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=63022

63022.jpg

It would seem that once it was tightened down into the tongue, it wouldn't actually swivel..

brian90744

American Trekker
Lunette info

Check out posts with M416 trailers, They (Most)have swivel lunette connected to the trailer, which is tighten spring tight so the trailer dos'nt flip. the item you pictured is just a hitch for the trailer. just FYI.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Or if you've got a trailer with a 2" receiver up front, you can put slide-in lunette ring in place (fixed; non-rotating ring), and get a rotating Pintle Hitch for your tow vehicle. If you notice in the picture, there's a pin there so the pintle is either fixed in place, or pull the pin and let it rotate 360 degrees. Google "NRC2051" or "NRC2051-NATO-HOOK" for more info.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/8742/4304/NRC2051-NATO-HOOK-ASSEMBLY.html

Dixon bates NRC2051-ROTATING-TOWING-HOOK-FV.jpg
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/8742/4304/NRC2051-NATO-HOOK-ASSEMBLY.html

Last edited:

waterboy222

Adventurer
Thanks for the info.. I was hoping to use the fixed pintle I already have but the swivel pintle looks like the way to go. I like that it can be locked in place when on the highway.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Thanks for the info.. I was hoping to use the fixed pintle I already have but the swivel pintle looks like the way to go. I like that it can be locked in place when on the highway.

You're welcome. It's too bad they don't sell these Dixon-Bates hitches over here in the states (of if they do at a land rover dealer they want crazy hundreds of dollars). I think they're a bit over $200 (in US dollars) before shipping from Europe (the shipping cost is why I don't currently have one). We need someone with an import business to do a group-buy; put me down for one.

Last edited:

jwilson2598

Adventurer
I looked into one place that sells LR parts and the shipping on one was $45, but each extra one I added to the cart only added about $20, so maybe if we had a group,buy we could split up that initial $25 extra and make them a bit better on the wallet. I would definitely be interested in one as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jwilson2598

Adventurer
So I managed to stumble on to an LR MOD swivel pintle on eBay. Cleaned it up a bit, fresh coat of black paint and it's ready for duty. Also drilled the lock pin out from the small one to 1/4" so I can standard hitch pin as well as a coupler lock to keep anyone from messing with it.

7b400c2f9c30486bd7b378d79424ec3b.jpg

4c9dd3e2245d5f0881cdc4b74fdac501.jpg

00fb7bda2afcbff629f9ce26a99f3af8.jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Hey jwilson, not sure if you are still monitoring this thread but do you have info on the receiver bracket you bolted the pintle to? Thanks,

FMF

Adventurer
I have had both and prefer the fixed. Only because I had a near roll over with a 360 swivel lunette. The trailer came down a bit hard in an off camber hill decent and nearly bounced over! This most likely would have been avoided if I had gone a bit slower. So far I have not come a cross any situations where the fixed lunette has caused any binding or kept the trailer from articulating. There is good arguments for both styles, however I like the piece of mind that comes with the fixed.

jwilson2598

Adventurer

jwilson2598

Adventurer
I have had both and prefer the fixed. Only because I had a near roll over with a 360 swivel lunette. The trailer came down a bit hard in an off camber hill decent and nearly bounced over! This most likely would have been avoided if I had gone a bit slower. So far I have not come a cross any situations where the fixed lunette has caused any binding or kept the trailer from articulating. There is good arguments for both styles, however I like the piece of mind that comes with the fixed.

That's why I liked this one because it was best of both worlds. It was fully fixed when you locked it, or you could pull the pin and allow for rotation.

hamburglar

Hey, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm having trouble finding this thing on ebay though because all of the swivels have something poking out of the back side which makes a hitch coupler plate not work?

Any chance you can post a link to a similar product?
Thanks
Cole

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven