Taco for expedition living quarters

sooperdooper

I plan on purchasing a new taco soon with intentions of living out of it while I travel.

What I'd like to know from you guys, is what should i do to it?

The platform I'm thinking of is either a single or access cab 4x4 with the 4cyl. I have to go overseas this weekend and when I get back in a month I'll be ready to buy.

From what I understand, the stock Taco is prepared to take on more than the average 4x4. I'm not looking to get into in crawling or serious off road, but I'd like it to take me just those few extra steps further than the guys behind me so I can see whats really out there.

The basics I was thinking of are a small lift (2"-3"), sliders, a camper top, rack, tires. I've been reading on here about all the different types of lifts and dang, I had no Idea.

What would yall recommend?

Last edited:

fourfa

Observer
I just spent two months in mine in Alaska. Leer 180 cap, 8" of thermarest and foam mattress cut to fit full-width. Plank shelf across forward half of the bed, crates strapped in atop the planks, feet and sleeping bags go under the shelf. Can prop a laptop on the shelf and watch movies. Two full-size pillows, very comfortable long-term.

Long bed of course. For Alaska I found I needed a lot of gaffer's tape to seal up around the cubbies and joints.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Ome

Old Man Emu. Built for hard work and to take punishment. It is simple and there is nothing that wears out and needs to be rebuilt. It can also be ordered in light or heavy duty depending on what your plans are. Sounds like you would want the heavy duty to support the weight you will be hauling out back.

Missing Link

Living in Taco

If you plan to live in your truck, and if you can swing it financially, get one of these. However you end up doing it, it will be a great adventure for you. Best of luck.

Attachments

• Quarry campsite.jpg
    Quarry campsite.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 348

Accrete

Explorer
We had a 2007 4x4 TRD TACO and luved it.

FYI: there is also another option soon to be on the market from Marc who designed the XPCamper. XPC V2 is designed to fit on a TACO :) Big bucks but ohhhhhh, what a rig it would be!!

gallery_2406_116_96739.jpg

gallery_2406_116_68892.jpg

best wishes on your adventure.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a great plan!

I have an 02 DC (5 foot bed) but have slept in mine for almost 100 nights since we got it.

I think it is all doable. For your plans, get the access cab (room to safely store gear) and a taller cap than the roof high one and go. Later you can add an OME lift and whatever else you find you "need" but I am betting you save a lot of money.

I really like the shelve and cubby idea, but have found I sleep with my head at both ends, depending on what end of the truck is higher...

good luck!

BeratE

Observer
That sounds like an awesome plan, and it is exactly what I am working towards as well. I would suggest an older Taco with the 6-cylinder engine and locking rear diff. and with the money you save over a newer model you can get more toys and play hard and longer. I have almost settled on the OME Dakar lift for my truck, but it sounds like you have to plan for it to settle and add one of their leafs down the road. I got a used pair of Sway-A-Way coilovers for the front, but haven't installed them yet, but from what I hear, I will be very pleased. I am planning for a fridge to be able to extend my trips, but will certainly be doing without to begin with.

Can't wait to see what you come up with

I am currently living in the back of my 2000 access cab (4 cyl stick). I bought a Softopper just because it was so much cheaper than a fiberglass or aluminum top, and WAY cheaper than a camper. But hey, I'm willing to rough it.

I special ordered a black Softopper with a white roof to reflect heat. When the weather suits and I have some privacy, I roll up a side. Otherwise, I have the rear mesh window and a "doggy door" up front. (Ask Softopper.)

A cot is a better solution than a mattress to retain storage space in the bed. I found a cot at Academy Sports that is 72" long, so I can close the tailgate when it's open. I modified the middle leg so it fits over a wheel well against the side of the bed.

Truck stops, a gym membership, state parks, and friends' houses all make good places to shower when needed. People get excited about a person living a nomadic lifestyle, and you will receive more invitations to use the shower or stay over than you expect. Use them wisely.

My truck is not exactly lifted, but I put Hellwig 1000 lb. helper springs on the rear to support the load of whatever I carry. The springs lifted the unloaded rear over an inch, and noticeably help braking and cornering by controlling body pitch and roll.

Cheers!

sooperdooper

Thanks for the tips so far.

I'm overseas right now and hoping the single cab I found doesn't sell before I get back!

I'll deff be looking into all my options more in depth when I get back and actually purchase the vehicle. I only have a few things planned for the truck, but as it seems on here, once I start, I may not be able to stop. :)

The nomadic lifestyle intrigues me so much and I cannot wait to get out of town and off the road!

D

Deleted member 9101

Keep an eye on craigslist. I got my topper for 75.oo and it was in awesome shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3