Team Equipt is in Baja!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'm sorry.....Joaquin.

And even an expo moderator stomps on you!....Amazing!

This is not the expo of old. We will Never see that again.

"Be Careful".....!

I know your Heart!

Keep Going My Friend!

....:sombrero::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Maybe it is a miscommunication. But my perception of your reaction to this dissemination of information, was that it came off as something I call "extraterritorialism"...which is much like "localism" in surf culture, only the perpetrator doesn't actually live there. But he has an passionate affinity for a place, and so wants to keep it unchanged. His immediate knee-jerk response to change, even the hints of it, are visceral and reactionary.

To most surfers, even campers, serious or severe change can be merely a few people showing up at a break or a camp spot more often. So they guard their "secret spots" like caches of gold. In order to rationalize what amounts to a colonization of a place they have no legal right to, they adopt the misguided notion that they are stewards of the place, and every visitor after them is merely an interloper, one that doesn't often love or respect the place as they do. This gives them a sort of moral booster, helps to get them past their own selfish, often boorish attitude. Sometimes they express this attitude. It rarely ends nicely.

What they almost never realize is that they, too, are interlopers. They procure gasoline and local goods (resulting in opportunity--a Pemex station built where there was previously an old man with a 55 gallon drum), they utilize the roads to gain access to the trails (resulting in governmental regulation and maintenance, a paved road built over a trail), they take up spots on the beach or in the wilderness (a campground or resort is built because someone is always wanting to be there...why not profit from it?).

The "extraterritorialist" too, contributes to the crowded conditions, the overdevelopment, and the inherent and inevitable change that occurs anytime human activity arrives where there was previously none. If extraterritorialists were truly stewards of stalwart preservation, they wouldn't visit the place at all, and encourage others to do likewise.

So Joaquin, my point to you was that you have no vindication in your argument; the peninsula isn't yours, the solid gold camp spots and point breaks aren't yours, the information about spots and breaks and roads isn't yours, and you're just as much a "toilet maker" to the environment as any other gringo explorer (some might say more, considering the size of the yacht you drive)...there is no fight, and if there were, you wouldn't even have a dog in it. And considering that you have the necessary funds and equipment to move about in such lavish (albeit creative, kudos for that) digs, you're just coming off as a boorish, elitist colonizer, kvetching about the price of gin.

No offense.

Superb. Couldn't agree more, great post!

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Great post sharam!

I will reiterate, great trip report!

Last edited by a moderator:

93BLAZER

Explorer
FOR THE LOVE OF PETE...SIT down Mr Suave. ZIP IT! PU-LEZE! Let these folks share their REPORT and PICS of Baja!

BajaRack

Observer
Man that really looks like fun, I did a similar trip last year with the family and we had a blast, Paul let me know when you guys are in Ensenada would love to sit down and have a few cold ones with the group.

Cheers

LUISJG

Explorer
i was looking forward to seeing more pics...
unfortunatly ,,all I found today here is all the nonsense ,,
just open another "firsidechat" post and continue your arguments ..
and let us enjoy the rest of this post,, Its freezing here,,have cabin fever,,so we need more PICS!!!

4x4abc

Adventurer
If all you wanna do is see beach or campfire images, we should start a section "Pictures Only" - you can only respond with Ahh! Ohhh! Wow! friggin awesome! - no questions about the images are allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
All the responses telling Joaquin Suave to shut up, and he hasn't even posted that much.

Although I don't like people who want to close the door after they've gotten themselves in, I have to say that I lean towards Joaquin's point of view here. I didn't read that he said to keep anyone out. I just read that you shouldn't post that sort of stuff on the internet without consideration.

Let's face it: we're all on Expo because we like the search. We like going places without madding crowds. If we didn't, we would be on Rick Steve's website or something. We'd be posting pictures of how awesome our trips were to the Grand Canyon or Zion, not out-of-the-way treasures we come across.

He asks that people be left to the search, and what's the response? Post up a big picture of the map.

There's people who like to find it, and there's people who like to brag that they found it to everyone who will listen. I won't tell you how to get to my favorite spots, but I'll make you dinner and offer you a beer if I see you drive up. I don't know Joaquin, but I suspect he's the same way.

And good for him.

More pics, fewer names.

Ducks

Adventurer
This is ridiculous. There hasn't been too much sharing. Anyone that does even a little bit of research will have the Baja maps. The internet is a great place for like-minded people to get together. They aren't posting their GPS tracks online. I got to go on the Alaska Cruiser Trek last summer and it was all organized online. Everyone met online and when we posted pictures afterward we said we were crossing which ever river it was. We didn't post a GPS track online but the web is a great way to research about potential adventures and find people to go with. I want to take my family to Baja (haven't yet, it's the next one on the list.) I want my kids to see the gray whales and experience another culture. Threads like these inspire me to go. If you think it's o.k. for you to go but I'm not allowed in, then that is your problem.

:beer: Chad

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Back to the Topic and More Pics!!!

So anyhow, back our great trip we had!!! Team Equipt just arrived home last night and have been without an internet connection for quite some time. We had a blast exploring parts of Baja that we have never been before. We also went back to some old haunts to find many changes, some good and some bad. We put a lot of extremely hard off-road miles on the Land Cruisers and came back with only minor damage to the 80 Series. I forgot that I weighed over 7K and tried to follow Harald up a sand dune in his empty G-Wagen. I ended up ripping off my drivers rear fender flare after backing down into a boulder:Wow1: I haven't been through all of the images yet, but here are a few more below.

IMG_8982-Edit-web.jpg

Guess I better not say where this is???

IMG_9145.jpg

This is what happens in Baja when you venture out of your rig, you get a gift like this.

IMG_7269-Edit-web.jpg

Beverly posing in her sweet MK Granite Creek Shorts.

IMG_7026-Edit-web.jpg

Miss Lulu who makes some of the best fish tacos in all of baja:sombrero:

IMG_0154.jpg

Some of our fire jumpers who did not make it!

_MG_3678-Edit-web.jpg

I couldn't take enough photographs of this particular beach and when this killer sailboat pulled in it was all the better.

_MG_3564-Edit-web.jpg

My friend Carlos re-connected my exhaust system (original 192,000 miles) for a Pacifico and $200 pesos:smiley_drive:

_MG_3583-Edit-web.jpg

O.K. I'll stop after this one.......

Now it is time to start cleaning all of the sand out of our dog and my equipment!!!

Cheers,

Team Equipt

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Wonderful trip report and superb photos. One of these years I am going to do a long trip in Baja again. Spent 2 months there in winter of 2007 and really enjoyed it all, especially after I got over my initial concern. Traveled alone most of the time and went to many of the sites you all visited. And, yes, at least one was considered top secret. But in the 2 weeks I stayed there it had a lot of visitors and in later disscussions with experienced travelers it became obvious that this secret beach wasn't.

My early trips to Baja were in 1970-75, then I did not go again until 2007, so you can imagine the changes. Yet in all that time one of my favorite places, San Ignacio, had changed very little. In fact there was a little taco truck parked next to the plaza that looked like it had never moved in 32 years! How cool!

Alan

defrag4

Road Warrior
great pics thanks for sharing

Never understood why people get so riled up about sharing information, I would assume we are all like-minded individuals who respect each other and the environment around us, running into fellow ExPo members at one of my favorite campspots would be a pleasure not a hindrance.

Now if a school bus of snot-nosed crying babies and overprotective moms rolled up on my spot or a crowd of drunken frat boys, It would be a different story but I don't think this site attracts those kind of people?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal