Team Equipt is in Baja!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Ben,

the road from Agua Verde to Ciudad Constitucion is fine - just drove a little while ago

DSC_0059s.jpg

DSC_0060s.jpg

DSC_0066s.jpg

Harald,
still hoping to see you in La Paz. We are in Los Cerritos now learning to surf! As for the road from Agua Verde on, we couldn't find it? Where the heck is the road? Do you have GPS coordinates. We want to take it to Timbabichi. Should we do a route together?

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Paradise Found on the Sea of Cortez!

Sorry we haven't updated sooner, but Team Equipt has been having one WHALE of a time down here in southern Baja! We have spent the last 10 days below the Tropic of Cancer and found one of the best beach camps ever there. We had to search the east cape between Los Barriles and Cabo a few times to find it, but once we did the relaxing was on......

IMG_6514.jpg

This beach has now been appropriately named "Playa Equipt!" We saw nobody else for the entire time there. It helped that both ends were blocked by huge boulders that you could only go around at low tide.

IMG_6494.jpg

A view to the south of "Playa Equipt."

IMG_6617.jpg

We did drink some tequila on a nightly basis, ice cubes courtesy of our National Luna 50L Split Fridge/Freeze

_MG_3273.jpg

And then Paul had a great idea......

_MG_3218.jpg

And the fun began.....

_MG_3227.jpg

Thanks to his lockers, no Land Cruiser was harmed in the making of this ad!

IMG_6606.jpg

A typical sunset on "Playa Equipt."

IMG_6721.jpg

And then the grand exit to go find some surf!

As you can tell we are having a blast and of course testing some new equipment for all of you gear heads!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Team Equipt goes surfing in Baja!!!

After turning our beach at "Playa Equipt" into a testing grounds and race course we decided to head even further south and west to go try our hand at surfing. The bravest soul in our bunch was Heather May, Paul's wife. She took to the surf like a pledge at a frat party! I don't think it hurt that she was being taught by a 20 year old Rico Suave!

IMG_6831.jpg

The surf shop at Los Cerritos just south of Todos Santos.

IMG_6863.jpg

Heather taking her lesson from Rico.

IMG_6878.jpg

She is ready to go! This shot was taken while I had a boat drink in my hand, I chickened out!

_MG_3396-web.jpg

Like I said, no problemo for Heather....

IMG_6828.jpg

While at the beach drinking marg's on the rocks we had to keep those fridges chugging along somehow! These rigs are starting to look like space ships.

IMG_6808.jpg

Our camp at San Pedrito, almost got wet at high tide.

IMG_6824.jpg

I'm stating to think that I shoot this shot everywhere....

After the day of surfing we headed to San Pedrito to camp and then on to La Paz to visit with another EP member.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Team Equipt in La Paz!

Once we got to La Paz we had a chance encounter with Harald, known as 4x4abc here on the portal. We were just getting to email him when we saw his sweet G-Wagen rolling down the Malecon. Harald immediately took us to what he called the best fish in all of La Paz, he wasn't lying!

IMG_6900.jpg

La Paz on the Malecon.

IMG_6910.jpg

We were sworn to secrecy and cannot give the location of this unbelievable restaurant!

IMG_6951.jpg

Harald on the beach at Tecalote.

IMG_6959.jpg

Stopping for a beer, this became a routine during our beach tour!

IMG_6909.jpg

This dish was the house specialty. Not sure why I'm showing this picture since I cannot tell you where it is!

It was a true pleasure hanging out with Harald all day in La Paz. If he ever extends the invitation for you to hang out with him, just say when and where!

dbreid

Adventurer
Firstly, GREAT trip. Jealous! :)

Well so much for the new great Sears Diehard Platinum debate. Our 3 month old cranking only battery died in Loreto. Had to get whatever we could find with reversible post. Also had to build a platform to make it high enough. Now we have to carry the old battery all the way back to the states for a warranty replacement.

I am sorry to hear about this. I hope yours is an aberration, as I have had tremendous luck with those batteries. I used to be a big time Yellow Top fan, and ran 4 of them (two in my Suburban and two in my rock crawler, which sees massive abuse). I had one fail and took out a few alternators in a row (Alternator "death"), and I slowly swapped all 4 out for the Sears, and they have been tremendous.

I hope the next one serves you better.

-Dan

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Firstly, GREAT trip. Jealous! :)

I am sorry to hear about this. I hope yours is an aberration, as I have had tremendous luck with those batteries. I used to be a big time Yellow Top fan, and ran 4 of them (two in my Suburban and two in my rock crawler, which sees massive abuse). I had one fail and took out a few alternators in a row (Alternator "death"), and I slowly swapped all 4 out for the Sears, and they have been tremendous.

I hope the next one serves you better.

-Dan

I hope the next one is better to Dan! We have a group 31 Sears Platinum Marine in our National Luna Power Pack on board and it is going strong. They were bought at the same time. I'm thinking I'm going to make a group 31 the same as in the PPP fit the battery stock battery tray in our 80 series. Then I will have two group 31's in the rig. I'm sure our first battery going bad is just a fluke! It gave no warning at all, just DONE!

mph

Expedition Leader
Well, it is official! You all look like you are having a horrible time:) I would return home ASAP.

Mike
PC, Utah
120 inches of snow in the backyard:)

HWY22

Can't wait to get down there

Paul
Next year it is my turn. I just purchased 2 of the 31Ms over the holidays to do exactly just that.

Waiting for you to get home to get my NL. Take your time getting back - lot's of powder waiting.

Redeem
Teton Adventure Gear

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Team Equipt in Scorpion Bay!

Doing a quick check in here from San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) on the Pacific Ocean. No pic's as we have not had time to download from the last 4 or 5 days.
After turning out our monthly newsletter "The Sojournal" we left Loreto bound to find the road from Agua Verde to Timbabichi. With help from Harald we finally found the road, or goat trail as I would call it. After driving off-road for over 165 miles and way into the night we arrived in Timbabichi on the Sea of Cortez. If we had not had the GPS rough track we would've turned around many times. This is one of the most remote places that I have been in this part of Baja and it was well worth it. We camped at the north end of the playa at the fish camp for the village. The next morning we met a local fisherman named Jimmy who gave us the 411 on the best beach in the region. Ensanada Puerto Gato was the best beach and just north of where we were. BTW, Jimmy's wife made us some of the best tortillas we have ever had! It took us a few hours to get there and then to find an arroyo that would lead us in, but we succeeded! We spent the last few days camping where most likely no other vehicle had camped before. It took some serious wheeling and water crossings to get in, but the beach was worth it. The weather was colder and cloudy so we had a few sailboats join us nightly. You could just see the sailboat owners mouths drop when they saw our rigs camped on the beach. This morning we left camp early as a serious looking storm was headed our way and we were depending on the arroyo for our retreat back to Timbabichi. After leaving the small fishing village we drove at speed over some of the best 50 miles off-road I've ever driven. 15 psi, deep sand and 30 foot tall cactus against the morning sun was all there was in sight, cool........

Off to find more adventure down here in Baja!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal