Tell me about the Jeep Commander

Storz

Explorer
Future VW cheater diesel buyback coming my way, want an SUV. Always like the Jeep Commanders, poking around on CL with my 7-7500 dollar budget it appears I can get one with around 100-150k miles, the 4.7 V8 and of course 4wd. I know the 4.7 is a good motor from friends that have them in various Dodge vehicles. How does the rest of the truck hold up? I don't go recreational wheeling anymore, just forest/dirt roads to camping spots etc. Vehicle would remain nearly stock.

How has your experience been with 10 year old Commanders?

ry3w

http://www.xkjeeps.com. You want a 2008+ for the updated 4.7 or 2009 for the updated hemi
The older 4.7 had sludge buildup problems without maintenance

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

hxcjohnny

Will this be a DD or just camping vehicle? My brother in law just sold his 06 4.7. Never had any issues with it. Got pretty poor fuel mileage, but was a really nice vehicle

Storz

Explorer
Will this be a DD or just camping vehicle? My brother in law just sold his 06 4.7. Never had any issues with it. Got pretty poor fuel mileage, but was a really nice vehicle
Daily driver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

troy

Adventurer
I've got a 2010 commander

Picked up a 2010 commander about 1.5 yrs ago. They are priced pretty well compared to other full-size SUVs, mostly cause they don't make them anymore. We have 75K on ours, and it has been reliable. Just oil changes. It is essentially the same thing as a grand cherokee. We have the Hemi, and the power is addicting. Gas is cheap, and it still gets 16 city, 19 highway. About the same as most full-size. We paid $20K almost 2 years ago, it is a fully loaded limited with the Hemi, NAV, DVD, etc. It also had lifetime warranty from the dealership and only had 42K miles.

Find the lowest mileage, best condition in your price range. I've heard the 3.7 V6 models are a little under powered. Also, there are several 4WD systems. Pretty sure if you get one with a V8 it'll have one of the better Quadra-Drive systems. Ours has been fantastic in the Winter. it is my wife's DD in winter, and camper pulling duty in Summer. I have a rubicon for rougher stuff, but the commander will handle fire roads with ease.

mb1k

Observer
I have cheater VW too, bought a Cherokee KL as a replacement but still waiting for the buyback check. But onto your question.

I have an '08 Commander Overland with 5.7 Hemi and Quadradrive II. I think the best thing I can say is that I will NEVER sell it. I was skeptical about automation with the QDII system until I've spent the last 22 months off roading it hard; climbing, sand, loose rock, etc. It's seamless and where Rubicons and FJ Cruisers spin wheels and dig in my lifted and Cooper AT3 equipped Commander just rolls right on through and over. No kidding.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I love the commanders. Everytime I see the 2 or 3 that are in my town, I want to ask them to sell it to replace my suburban. There are couple of issues that have already been pointed out, other than that they are SOLID! nice big roomy comfy jeep product.

mb1k

Observer
Pic from last weekend

IMG_2397_2.jpg

Broncbuster

Had a 2007. Was a great vehicle. Put a RC lift and Rubicon Wheels and Tires. Would go anywhere I wanted it to.
Traded it last month for a 2017 JKU. Only problem with the Commander is lack of Aftermarket parts. If Jeep would have made it a touch bigger (to not compete with the GC) and continued the production I would buy another.

Attachments

• Jeep Commander 2.jpg
    Jeep Commander 2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Jeep Commander1.jpg
    Jeep Commander1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 82

KingAirNeal

Adventurer
Selling back my cheater VW as well. Still waiting on them, they are dragging their feet. Replaced it with a Hemi Grand Cherokee, and I am trying to convince my dad to sell me his 09 Commander Hemi Overland as well. LOVE the Commanders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nightdrv

I've had my 08 Overland for over a year now... Bought it at 120k miles, now at 175k. Haven't done too much except for RRO 2" lift, JB UCA's, Jeeperf radiator hoses, and all the expected broken/worn parts and maintenance possible. Yea, it's already needed a transfer case (entirely), as well as having blown the motor a month ago (now have a new one). But, regardless of the $15k I've put into it (on top of the original cost), it's been more than enough for me. I've taken it to many off-road areas, from the east coast to the west coast. It has nearly every option, and I can't think of anything better, in it's category. It seats 7, has the great QD-II system, a Hemi for power, etc. Sure, I'd much rather have a Camel Trophy Defender. But that takes crazy money... To me, I really think that the Commander is/was Jeep's answer to the Land Rover Discovery. And for that, I'm happy enough with it. It goes up trails that a lot of others don't. It's also hilarious when other drivers look at me funny for bringing a "not a real Jeep" to an off road convoy for whatever trip, and then they watch me climb or descend whatever obstacle there is (given it's limitations). I never abuse it. I always take things very slowly. And while it doesn't have almost any flex, nor does it have huge mud tires, it does have some serious capability, when the right line is chosen. More than enough to surprise everyone around.

Attachments

• 50064694_10215907995667362_4329191695653535744_o.jpg
    50064694_10215907995667362_4329191695653535744_o.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Grenadiers

Adventurer
We had a 2010 with the hemi, Limited Edition. Loved it, except when there was a recall for the ‘final drive’ computer. Check out the Commander forums for further information. Basically, the upgrade didn’t work. The transfer case motor handles the wheel slip, and it wears out. Outside chance of throwing the t-case into low range at highway speeds. As I recall.

-XJ-

Observer
Was going to start a Commander inquiry thread but figure I just ask my questions here. Just asked similar questions in a few other places but trying to reach as many people as possible as I research whether or not my next Jeep will be an XK or my 6th XJ.

This Jeep will be built for overlanding with mild to moderate trails and living out of in mind. My biggest concern early on in my research is the terrifyingly limited aftermarket support. I'm drawn to the extra space and comfort I might get from the XK over the XJ as well as the XK's stock QD2. Is a clean Hemi Commander worth the 2 to 3 times the cost as a clean XJ?

drinkdrankdrunk

If you want more room than an XJ but don't necessarily need the extra seats that the XK has, take a look at WJs. They're pretty much the same price as XJ's, but definitely more space and far more comfortable.

To answer your question I'd say no, an XK is not worth 3x as much as an XJ, especially when you take into account how much more you're going to spend building it. Just little things like bumpers and sliders, you're gonna spend a lot more than if you were building an XJ. Also with the much larger aftermarket comes a much larger secondary market. Good luck finding a set of used XK sliders, whereas you can find used XJ accessories on CL/FB marketplace willy nilly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333

Members online