Temporary Diesel Heater Install?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I'm renting a van (Ram Promaster), for a week and want to install a diesel heater without drilling holes. Any ideas???? I need a way to get the exhaust out.

Last edited:

llamalander

Make a plywood or aluminum buck you can mount the heater on and insert into the frame of a partially open window.
Combustion intake & exhaust point outside, body of the heater, electrics and intake and output inside and custom cut the buck for a good seal once you have the van.
--if it draws less than 10A, you can plug it into the lighter, if not, attach long enough cables to reach the battery.
Tank & pump will need a way to stand up on the floor and tubing to reach the heater.
Hopefully you have an output head that will let you direct the hot air to the back and the intake will draw from the area near the windshield.
No changes to the van (if you don't spill the fuel), no harm to the heater.
Just a thought...

billiebob

I'm renting a van (Ram Promaster), for a week and want to install a diesel heater without drilling holes. Any ideas???? I need a way to get the exhaust out.
You guys really need to tell us what country you live in. This is an international forum. If you live in Timbuktoo the advice might be different than if you live in Paris. Get it together man. Tell us a few pertinent facts.

If you are going nowhere,,,, why are you asking.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You guys really need to tell us what country you live in. This is an international forum. If you live in Timbuktoo the advice might be different than if you live in Paris. Get it together man. Tell us a few pertinent facts.

If you are going nowhere,,,, why are you asking.
OK, I'm not in Timbuktu, but will be not too far from cucamonga. I won't need to fashion anything from cob. The unit is one of those cheap china models that has the tank mounted inside a sheetmetal cover.

highwest

For a week only? Leave the heater outside on the ground and have it exhaust hot air up through a cracked window, seal the cracked window with a blanket, towel, or similar. Take the 12V direct to the battery. Don’t worry about the hot air intake, it should heat outside air just fine. Make sure you get the combustion exhaust way far away from the combustion intake and especially the hot air intake.

javajoe79

Fabricator
For a week only? Leave the heater outside on the ground and have it exhaust hot air up through a cracked window, seal the cracked window with a blanket, towel, or similar. Take the 12V direct to the battery. Don’t worry about the hot air intake, it should heat outside air just fine. Make sure you get the combustion exhaust way far away from the combustion intake and especially the hot air intake.
I would go this route too. I wouldn't want all that noise inside with me. I also probably wouldn't do this just for a week.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've been doing research on the power requirements and I'm not too sure I can run it off the starting battery for long. I might have to go the rainforest route with my Big Buddy heater.

simple

Adventurer
Are you sure you even need a diesel heater? We did a month in our sprinter across country in December with temps in the teens. Took a buddy but never broke it out. We used our 15 degree down bags and started the vehicle in the morning to run the engine and heater. There were a couple times we parked over night near power and used a little cheap electric space heater and ran an extension cord out the window.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Are you sure you even need a diesel heater? We did a month in our sprinter across country in December with temps in the teens. Took a buddy but never broke it out. We used our 15 degree down bags and started the vehicle in the morning to run the engine and heater. There were a couple times we parked over night near power and used a little cheap electric space heater and ran an extension cord out the window.
That's probably what I will need to do. No power there, and I don't want to hassle with bringing my noisy generator.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Unsure if you already took the trip - but I played with this concept:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/jeep-xj-pop-top-camper-build.198456/post-2743214

The heater is inevitably going to be hard-mounted in the jeep, but this was a nifty way to test it first.
(You'd need a decently bigger power tool battery to run the whole night - looks like dewalt makes a 12ah $$)

Nothing went right on this trip. Didn't get the high roof I reserved so I had to take a standard chevy van. There was barely room for a bed in the back, and no place to put the propane heater. I ended up having to run the van all night with the heater on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy