**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

stingray1300

Explorer
I know there are structural considerations with larger tents (I have the Gran Sabana), but moving the rails outboard would put the one rail closer to the center joint, thereby increasing its integrity. But the caveat is that then the field of the tent bottom would be less supported (thanks for causing me to think further about it). So, my next brilliant idea is.... (drum roll): add a 3rd rail to the tent bottom on the Sabana (at least to this tent). To have only 2 rails on a tent this size, where all the smaller tents also have 2 rails seems under-engineered to me.
BTW, I built a nose cone for the tent for the major mileage we covered getting up to Dawson Creek, BC from SFO. I cut a Sonotube (concrete form) in half length-wise and duct taped it to the tent's cover. I sprayed it with truck bed paint so the cardboard wouldn't dissolve in the rain. But the sad news is, I cannot confirm any mpg benefits, so, when I took it off in Fort Nelson, I left it off.

Box Rocket

I know there are structural considerations with larger tents (I have the Gran Sabana), but moving the rails outboard would put the one rail closer to the center joint, thereby increasing its integrity. But the caveat is that then the field of the tent bottom would be less supported (thanks for causing me to think further about it). So, my next brilliant idea is.... (drum roll): add a 3rd rail to the tent bottom on the Sabana (at least to this tent). To have only 2 rails on a tent this size, where all the smaller tents also have 2 rails seems under-engineered to me.
BTW, I built a nose cone for the tent for the major mileage we covered getting up to Dawson Creek, BC from SFO. I cut a Sonotube (concrete form) in half length-wise and duct taped it to the tent's cover. I sprayed it with truck bed paint so the cardboard wouldn't dissolve in the rain. But the sad news is, I cannot confirm any mpg benefits, so, when I took it off in Fort Nelson, I left it off.

I get what you're saying but adding another rail to the tent base would not change anything. The deflection you are talking about is along the long axis of the mounting rails. Unless there is support under the span of those rails the same deflection will happen whether you have 2 rails or 10. The support under the tents perpendicular to the long axis of the rails is what will eliminate the deflection. That is accomplished with additional load bars or a roofrack deck that the tent is mounted to. By adding another rail to the tent itself you won't see improvement. If you add another load bar that is under the tent, I'm convinced that your issues will disappear with no modifications needed to the tent.

So, again, this is not a problem with the tent but instead with insufficient mounting surface.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thats another benefit I'll realize by taking the RTT off my jeep top and installing on the trailrt, because-

The trailer top, even/w the RTT is still several feet LOWER than the jeep top, plus

By mounting on the trailer the RTT twin support beams have (5) support ridges, 90° to the length of each RTT support beam, so there's no deflection from moving weight in the RTT !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

stingray1300

Explorer
Box Rocket: We're kind of saying the same thing... I bought 2 more Thule towers today to add a 3rd cross bar. But the span from the mating edge of the 2 halves of the tent bottom still exists, regardless. But I will be taking one step at a time.
JIMBO: but the tent on a trailer, you're definitely not off the ground enough to even keep a black bear outta your tent! :sombrero:
DSC_0235 - Copy (2).jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, yeah-I know, but

QUOTE=stingray1300;1693543]Box Rocket: We're kind of saying the same thing... I bought 2 more Thule towers today to add a 3rd cross bar. But the span from the mating edge of the 2 halves of the tent bottom still exists, regardless. But I will be taking one step at a time.
JIMBO: but the tent on a trailer, you're definitely not off the ground enough to even keep a black bear outta your tent! :sombrero:
View attachment 253212[/QUOTE]

Black Bears climb ladders better than they do trees and

The only safe place from Bears, is in an airplane, unless

The Bears got FAA clearance !:snorkel:

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT
Protective Weather Hoods for all Kukenam, Autana and Gran Sabana tents.
Extreme conditions call for extreme protection. The Tepui Weather Hoods are the perfect answer to the most formidable of weather. Featuring high strength heat and cold resistant material, the weather hoods will help shield your Tepui from heavy rain, hale, snow, and whatever else mother nature throws at you. Fold your Tepui up with the weather hood intact and preserve the dryness of your sleeping quarters.
Reflective thermal hood made of 150T Rip stop polyester Oxford with aluminized coating, 2000mm W/P, UV resistant and flame retardant with taped seams. Quality YKK zippers used on doors & vent openings.
Easy-to-use drawstring closure combined with multiple reinforced bungee attachment points provides a secure connection underneath tent.
$225.

stingray1300

Explorer
Tepui, always innovating... :wings:
That said, however, not sure where it would be useful - for me anyway. When we woke up to 18ºF on the Maclaren river in Alaska, the inside of our Sabana didn't give much of a hint as to the cruel coffee-making temps outside. Having a 15º rated bag was just right.
But, if you want one, then of COURSE get one!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh---you don't have to go outside for coffee !

Tepui, always innovating... :wings:
That said, however, not sure where it would be useful - for me anyway. When we woke up to 18ºF on the Maclaren river in Alaska, the inside of our Sabana didn't give much of a hint as to the cruel coffee-making temps outside. Having a 15º rated bag was just right.
But, if you want one, then of COURSE get one!

004_zps2217c65c.jpg

KKoenig

NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT
Protective Weather Hoods for all Kukenam, Autana and Gran Sabana tents.
Extreme conditions call for extreme protection. The Tepui Weather Hoods are the perfect answer to the most formidable of weather. Featuring high strength heat and cold resistant material, the weather hoods will help shield your Tepui from heavy rain, hale, snow, and whatever else mother nature throws at you. Fold your Tepui up with the weather hood intact and preserve the dryness of your sleeping quarters.
Reflective thermal hood made of 150T Rip stop polyester Oxford with aluminized coating, 2000mm W/P, UV resistant and flame retardant with taped seams. Quality YKK zippers used on doors & vent openings.
Easy-to-use drawstring closure combined with multiple reinforced bungee attachment points provides a secure connection underneath tent.
$225.

Guess the Ayres owners are left out in the cold - literally.

Box Rocket

Check it out! Tepui is a sponsor for Canguro Racing! This race team is comprised of a bunch of Land Cruiser fanatics and overlanders who are now racers. Tepui is making life much easier for the chase crew with the addition of roof top tents on some of the chase trucks. The team and this truck will be racing the Baja 1000 next week in Mexico and the team wanted to express a heartfelt thank you to Tepui for being one of our sponsors.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Awesome, quite a tribute and commitment by TEPUI--

The best of luck-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven