**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

Burley

Adventurer
Thanks for the order! I think you'll love the tent.

Tepui has done a very small run (10 tents) to start. We'll gauge the interest on this first batch before deciding to do another run of them. Keep in mind these will be a heavy tent. With the large size of the tent with the upgraded materials of the Ruggedized models, including a full annex of Ruggedized canvas, it will add some weight. Don't let that scare you off if you are looking for a big, tough tent, but it's something to be aware of. I don't have exact weight numbers but I'll share them as I get them.
Retail cost for the Ruggedized Gran Sabana will be $2300.
It appears that the dock worker strikes have reached some kind of resolution and we should get our containers unloaded soon and ready to ship. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the patience.

What color are the 10 your getting?

c_mack9

Adventurer
They're on my Kukenam Ruggedized, too, & its to prevent condensation from collecting & dripping from the canopy poles. I agree, its a nice feature.

That's cool. I'm glad they did it to the non ruggedized versions. It looks much nicer, and more complete on the inside having them wrapped. I'm not too worried about condensation, I'm more of a fair weather camper. I'll be curled up in my king sized bed at home if it's below freezing.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I camped one night by the ocean this weekend and it only got down to the high 40's at night, at sunrise it was already 52 in the tent. It was my wife and I plus the dog down in the annex, it was great! The inside of the tent was dry when we woke up but the inside and outside of the annex was all wet! I figured it was from the humidity of the ocean, so no biggie. I will say we slept comfy but the mattress is a little bit thin for side sleepers, I sank down to the floor after a few hours into the night and woke up from feeling like I was on the ground. Again, no biggie, the tent is still light years better than ground sleeping. Upon closing up the tent and heading home I notice the mattress was all wet underneath. I wasn't expecting that from one night of sleeping, now I'm considering getting an anti condensation mat for my tent. Anyone thats using these mats, do they really help or are there any other solutions? Also, since its rubber, does it kind of cheat and give you an extra cushion, or do you notice it at all?

Thanks!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yeah me to, I don't camp in the sub zero's-

One of the first things I did with my Tepui is take that pad out and I use an 8" Truckbedz air mattress/"0" degree sleeping bag (double)-

That way I can leaveit all inside when I close up the RTT-

001_zps4e707e65.jpg

Comfort my man, comfort--thats what it's all about-

I also prep a 12vdc coffee pot the night before and leaveit in the RTT-

004_zps2217c65c.jpg

That way, we don't have to get out of bed to have the first couple cups of coffee-

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Box Rocket

I camped one night by the ocean this weekend and it only got down to the high 40's at night, at sunrise it was already 52 in the tent. It was my wife and I plus the dog down in the annex, it was great! The inside of the tent was dry when we woke up but the inside and outside of the annex was all wet! I figured it was from the humidity of the ocean, so no biggie. I will say we slept comfy but the mattress is a little bit thin for side sleepers, I sank down to the floor after a few hours into the night and woke up from feeling like I was on the ground. Again, no biggie, the tent is still light years better than ground sleeping. Upon closing up the tent and heading home I notice the mattress was all wet underneath. I wasn't expecting that from one night of sleeping, now I'm considering getting an anti condensation mat for my tent. Anyone thats using these mats, do they really help or are there any other solutions? Also, since its rubber, does it kind of cheat and give you an extra cushion, or do you notice it at all?

Thanks!

Condensation under the mattress is very common. On my tent that doesn't have the AC Mat I'm just in the habit of pulling the mattress out to air dry when I get home. No biggie for me since I set up the tent to air out when I get home anyway. It's just another step to dry the mattress.
On my other tent with the AC Mat it definitely helps and I haven't noticed any condensation between the mattress and floor on that tent. FYI, they are not rubber mats. I'm actually not sure what the material is that is used on the Tepui mats but I'm guessing it's something like a nylon mesh (think expanded metal) that has a thick PVC coating. It's heavy duty and much higher quality that other mats I've seen that are foam rubber. It seems to provide a little extra cushion but I wouldn't plan on it feeling like whole new mattress.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Jimbo, I met my wife at Starbucks 9 years ago and we even had a "coffee" themed wedding AND I STILL DONT SLEEP NEXT TO A COFFEE MACHINE! You sir are my hero.

My wife hates when I spend money on stupid **** but she loves the Tepui, her only gripe was to suggest "why don't we put that air mattress up here"? I guess I could always swap like you did but the whole point of having a RTT, for me anyway, was the convenience of avoiding A:setting up a tent on crappy surfaces and B:inflating an air mattress. LoL I'll be damned if I give up this quickly.

I'll just try a AC mat first. Honestly airing it out isn't a big deal because I always use compressed air and blow my gear off and air it out after trips anyway. FYI sometimes I'll throw a dryer sheet or two inside my tent before I close it, keeps it fresh and smells like home. I'm going out again this weekend for 4 days, supposedly we're getting rain too but I'll believe it when I see it. I was thinkng of taking my Thermorest sleeping pads and laying them under my mattress and seeing if that makes it a pinch more comfy.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, yeah I understand what you're saying, but

Jimbo, I met my wife at Starbucks 9 years ago and we even had a "coffee" themed wedding AND I STILL DONT SLEEP NEXT TO A COFFEE MACHINE! You sir are my hero.

My wife hates when I spend money on stupid **** but she loves the Tepui, her only gripe was to suggest "why don't we put that air mattress up here"? I guess I could always swap like you did but the whole point of having a RTT, for me anyway, was the convenience of avoiding A:setting up a tent on crappy surfaces and B:inflating an air mattress. LoL I'll be damned if I give up this quickly.

I'll just try a AC mat first. Honestly airing it out isn't a big deal because I always use compressed air and blow my gear off and air it out after trips anyway. FYI sometimes I'll throw a dryer sheet or two inside my tent before I close it, keeps it fresh and smells like home. I'm going out again this weekend for 4 days, supposedly we're getting rain too but I'll believe it when I see it. I was thinkng of taking my Thermorest sleeping pads and laying them under my mattress and seeing if that makes it a pinch more comfy.

I haven't given up on my tents--I have two "AIRZONE" inflate tents (one minute) and I always have one with me even with the RTT and-

SUNP0251.jpg
I keep the air mattress/dbbl "0" sleeping bag-inside the RTT and the air mattress also takes one minute to inflate to a firm 8" thick mattress--

I've only had the RTT for about 6 weeks, but I've had the "Airzone" tents and air mattress for about 8 years-

I sleep very well on this air mattress-

Hard to change and I need a reason for the change !

Last edited:

Mark K

Observer
It got pretty cold when I was camping outside Quartzite a few weeks back. 29 was the coldest, but I never got real cold because between my fart sack and the wool blanket over my head it was good to go. I think a big part of this was the fact that the wind was not able to blow right into the tent like in the PoS tent I have been using for the past (almost) 15 years. I wish I had this years ago.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well. it's pretty close to Queen size and

What size bedding does the Kukenam use? Full size? Looks too small for Queen size.

58"x96" allows a fairly good size mattress/w plenty of leg room !

c_mack9

Adventurer
Yeah, I agree. I have the tent already, but was wondering about what size fitted sheet to put on it, and possibly a small mattress topper.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: We always used a Queen size sheet to cover the air mattress and now, while in the RTT, there's lateral/length room for one, although-

Yeah, I agree. I have the tent already, but was wondering about what size fitted sheet to put on it, and possibly a small mattress topper.

We don't do that in the RTT, just use/leave out Dbbl "0"° sleeping bag and no sheets, everything is copasetic-

Stovey

Team Ruptured Buzzard
Noob likes this thread, learning much from all posters...

Hi, I'm Dave...

...and a lot of people just call me "Stovey" (short for "Stovebolt" but that name was already taken on XPDPortal.)

If anybody has some wisdom on the project I am trying to accomplish, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've never had a RTT before but I'm no stranger to "being out there in the bushes." What I would like to do is put a Tepui over the top of the cab on a 2015 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Short Bed, and would like to also add the Foxwing Awning to the same rig. I would also like the option of placing the RTT directly on top of the rear cap shell such as the Snugtop XTR that has a reinforced shell and built-in two-inch roof rack tubes.

That is situation #1, wanting to be able to mount the Tepui either fore or aft.

Situation #2 is I see some potential for difficulty in that Rhinoracks only recommends the "Eco" sized smaller Foxwing awning for my vehicle application, as well as their specific roof rack. This may be because the shortbed length is too short to accommodate the longer length of the full-sized Foxwing, but I dunno. I've had a struggle coming up with any real technical advice on this, so I though I would post here and tap the hive mind for some help.

I haven't purchased anything yet but the pickup truck. I have a buyer lined up for my 1999 Dodge RAM 2500 that I've had for over 16 years and 230,000 miles. It's been a great truck, but it's time to replace it. I like the RAM.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I've never mounted a roof rack or rails or cargo rack before and it's a little overwhelming in the options without any clear and definitive fitment guide for every possible combination. I really like the idea of adding a Rhinorack Cargo rack into the mix for under the RTT.

Thanks for any help!

Stovey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven