**Tepui RTTs and Accessories**

ljrunner05

Adventurer
I've used to weather hood at ~27 degrees F. There was a significant difference in temperature up in the tent with the weather hood on. I'll probably just keep it on for the remainder of the winter season and remove it once its starts getting warmer. I have to say though, its a bit of a pain to get on if you have you tent on the top of your vehicle.

I'd also recommend getting the anti condensation mat. I'm usually fine with just my sleeping bag but sometimes my gf likes to put a quilt or extra blanket down on the mattress.

Thank You! That's what I needed to know. Of course here in the south the concept of winter seems to be missing this year, but I'm still thinking it would be a good investment.

I defensively would like to get the anti condensation mat, but everytime I look they are out of stock. Hopefully soon.

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Couple faq's about purchasing Tepui products from REI:

+ REI 20% coupon does not work on the RTT. Scout their "garage sale" days, as I've seen a few come up every once and a while..
+ Also, there is not an "oversized shipping" fee for the tent when shipped to the store. I picked up my Ayer from REI, Huntington Beach a few months ago. (I believe if shipped to your home, a fee does apply)
+ Plus, if you are a REI member you receive about $80-85 (+/-) in dividend dollars, depending on which model you purchase (price).

They offer their 1-yr return policy on the RTT, which I found kind of odd. But heck, I suppose you can use if for 11 1/2 months and say you'd like to return it- they'll take it back and probably "garage-sale" it I suppose.

I'd highly recommend purchasing your RTT from REI and shipping to a location near you, as it will be received safely, inspected and allows for a hassle-free return if needed. And, you get $ back, if you are a member.

this is exactly what pushed me towards REI.
Shipping is free to the store (only 45mins away from me), the dividend is $139 back on the Kukenam tent, and their return policy is great.
The savings just make sense with them, as long as you have a store close by

ttengineer

Adventurer
this is exactly what pushed me towards REI.
Shipping is free to the store (only 45mins away from me), the dividend is $139 back on the Kukenam tent, and their return policy is great.
The savings just make sense with them, as long as you have a store close by

The fact that you can exchange your dividend in for cash is a HUGE bonus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Couple faq's about purchasing Tepui products from REI:

+ REI 20% coupon does not work on the RTT. Scout their "garage sale" days, as I've seen a few come up every once and a while..
+ Also, there is not an "oversized shipping" fee for the tent when shipped to the store. I picked up my Ayer from REI, Huntington Beach a few months ago. (I believe if shipped to your home, a fee does apply)
+ Plus, if you are a REI member you receive about $80-85 (+/-) in dividend dollars, depending on which model you purchase (price).

They offer their 1-yr return policy on the RTT, which I found kind of odd. But heck, I suppose you can use if for 11 1/2 months and say you'd like to return it- they'll take it back and probably "garage-sale" it I suppose.

I'd highly recommend purchasing your RTT from REI and shipping to a location near you, as it will be received safely, inspected and allows for a hassle-free return if needed. And, you get $ back, if you are a member.

Or you could always purchase at a discount from those who directly support the offroad community and this forum. ;)

Box Rocket

Will the autuna in Siberian camo be made again? Any chance of a multicam version:coffeedrink:

Multicam would be tits. Especially if it came with a multicam cover too.

It never stopped being made. Available now.
http://tepuitents.com/collections/3-person-roof-top-tents/products/autana-siberian-roof-top-tent
Multicam is unlikely, at least right now. If there was enough interest in this specific color option, it might be possible that a small run could be done. I doubt that the travel covers would change. Not cost effective to do a camo cover and it would have to be printed and printing isn't the most durable on the covers.

SigJoe

It never stopped being made. Available now.
http://tepuitents.com/collections/3-person-roof-top-tents/products/autana-siberian-roof-top-tent
Multicam is unlikely, at least right now. If there was enough interest in this specific color option, it might be possible that a small run could be done. I doubt that the travel covers would change. Not cost effective to do a camo cover and it would have to be printed and printing isn't the most durable on the covers.

Thanks for the reply. I see they're in stock now in Siberian. As for doing a run in MC... how many buyers would be needed to put an order together?

Box Rocket

Thanks for the reply. I see they're in stock now in Siberian. As for doing a run in MC... how many buyers would be needed to put an order together?

I'll have to ask, but most likely we'd need a minimum of 10 tents. Also need to check to see if it's a pattern that's even available from our supplier.

LumberJesse

Hi Adam,
I'm in the market for an entry level tent to throw on top of my '05 Jetta for cross country travels. I've been looking at the Tepui Ayer Sky and am really wanting to know what kind of durability/lifespan I could expect out of one of these tents. I was also wondering if you all make a ruggedized Ayer, as I'd like something I could throw on a 4x4 later on down the road.

Box Rocket

Hey, Adam! Getting ready for another season, and I see that a luxury mattress option is now available. How does it compare to the original mattress on the anti-condensation mat? I didn't see any mention of it here after a quick search, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I'm not a giant, but I found the original mattress wasn't supportive enough for me after a few weeks of use. I added a thin memory foam top layer to it, but it's still not quite supportive enough to keep my hips from sinking in a little too much. I'm hoping that the luxury mattress has a higher density foam on the bottom.

I was also wondering if a screen wall annex option had been considered, similar to what's available for an awning. Having a screened in porch below the foldout portion would be nice.

Hasn't been any discussion yet on the Luxury Mattress since it's new, so you haven't missed anything. I haven't even had a chance to try it out yet but the addition of the latex layer should provide a bit more firmness. Forgive me but I don't have an answer about any differences in the actual foam density compared to the standard mattress but I'm getting that information now and will post an update when I have it.
Screened annex is an interesting idea. I'll run it up the chain and see where it goes.

Box Rocket

Hi Adam,
I'm in the market for an entry level tent to throw on top of my '05 Jetta for cross country travels. I've been looking at the Tepui Ayer Sky and am really wanting to know what kind of durability/lifespan I could expect out of one of these tents. I was also wondering if you all make a ruggedized Ayer, as I'd like something I could throw on a 4x4 later on down the road.

If you are traveling solo or with one other person, the Ayer is a nice choice, especially for the size of car you're using. All of the tents with the exception of the Baja Series are full 4 season tents and are very durable. Lifespan is somewhat dependent on the type of use and conditions along with care of the tent being the biggest factor. With proper care there's no reason for these tents to not last many years. Anecdotally, I can say that my first Tepui tent was a standard Autana model that I used heavily in a wide range of conditions. I had it for two years before I sold it to upgrade to a Ruggedized model. When I sold it it was still in like new condition and sold for almost what I paid for it. That was 5 years ago and the guy that bought it is still using it regularly and the tent is still in great shape.
Proper care of zippers etc and avoiding having the tent damp when put away to avoid mold will go a long way to helping it to last for year. Of course, if you camp in the rain/snow you'll have occasion that the tent needs to be put away damp. When you return home or as soon as you're able to open up the damp tent and let it air out and dry completely will help to avoid mildew and mold.
Lastly, Tepui stocks a wide range of spare parts in the case that you ever need them. There is essentially any part of the tent that can be individually replaced if need be.
There currently is not a Ruggedized option for the Ayer, but the standard models like the Ayer are definitely durable enough to be used on offroad vehicles and in tough conditions.

Kade.Tang

Sent you a PM regarding a 48" anti condensation mat.

If you are traveling solo or with one other person, the Ayer is a nice choice, especially for the size of car you're using. All of the tents with the exception of the Baja Series are full 4 season tents and are very durable. Lifespan is somewhat dependent on the type of use and conditions along with care of the tent being the biggest factor. With proper care there's no reason for these tents to not last many years. Anecdotally, I can say that my first Tepui tent was a standard Autana model that I used heavily in a wide range of conditions. I had it for two years before I sold it to upgrade to a Ruggedized model. When I sold it it was still in like new condition and sold for almost what I paid for it. That was 5 years ago and the guy that bought it is still using it regularly and the tent is still in great shape.
Proper care of zippers etc and avoiding having the tent damp when put away to avoid mold will go a long way to helping it to last for year. Of course, if you camp in the rain/snow you'll have occasion that the tent needs to be put away damp. When you return home or as soon as you're able to open up the damp tent and let it air out and dry completely will help to avoid mildew and mold.
Lastly, Tepui stocks a wide range of spare parts in the case that you ever need them. There is essentially any part of the tent that can be individually replaced if need be.
There currently is not a Ruggedized option for the Ayer, but the standard models like the Ayer are definitely durable enough to be used on offroad vehicles and in tough conditions.

Box Rocket

@Door Ding. Here's more info on the Luxury mattress. Sounds like it might not be the right answer for you.
The Luxury Mattresses are softer than the standard ones.
Lux mattresses are 2.5" high density foam and .5" latex (close to memory foam, but not quite), while the standard ones are 3" high density foam.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Adding a high density .75 inch backpacking mat (or two side by side so it's extra wide) is total money. The ones that are green on one side and silver on the other can be had for under 20 bucks a piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy