Tepui Tent RTT

caddo

May I ask what it means that the tent popped out of the track? And what screws came loose? What was the fix(es)?

The screws on the poles connecting the hinge, not a structural piece tho.
IMG_7585.jpg

the fix is simple, apply loctite.
one screw work its way out half way, found the other screw somewhere on the tent floor.

there's a little groove (track) that connects the two tent floor when you fold it open, I guess on a longer/bigger tent if you dont make sure it's really sitting inside the groove and you are not exactly leveled, it's very easy (when you are inside the tent) to pop the track out of the groove then you get a little crack in the middle of the tent floor... After we spoke to the Tepui folks it become very obvious how that happened and we havent had that happen to us since. (Hopefully my description made a little more sense.. heh)

stingray1300

Explorer
The screws on the poles connecting the hinge, not a structural piece tho.
the fix is simple, apply loctite.
one screw work its way out half way, found the other screw somewhere on the tent floor.

there's a little groove (track) that connects the two tent floor when you fold it open, I guess on a longer/bigger tent if you dont make sure it's really sitting inside the groove and you are not exactly leveled, it's very easy (when you are inside the tent) to pop the track out of the groove then you get a little crack in the middle of the tent floor... After we spoke to the Tepui folks it become very obvious how that happened and we havent had that happen to us since. (Hopefully my description made a little more sense.. heh)

OK, I get it. So some Loctite on the frame screws - Got it! Now, as far as the groove/track issue. Are you talking about the floor panels, and when you say, sit at the joint in the middle, the one panel "slips" and drops down a bit? Is that what you're talking about? What did the Tepui gang say was the fix? I noticed that when I opened the tent and got in it the first time. A little disconcerting, but could it be that the over hang has to be anchored down (staked) to force the grooves to mate properly?
Thanks so much!
Oh, and I started fabricating a fairing today. When I have it somewhat presentable I'll post a pic...

caddo

OK, I get it. So some Loctite on the frame screws - Got it! Now, as far as the groove/track issue. Are you talking about the floor panels, and when you say, sit at the joint in the middle, the one panel "slips" and drops down a bit? Is that what you're talking about? What did the Tepui gang say was the fix? I noticed that when I opened the tent and got in it the first time. A little disconcerting, but could it be that the over hang has to be anchored down (staked) to force the grooves to mate properly?

Yes.. the floor panels and where they joined in the middle.. if you deploy without making sure they are fully mated then it's very likely it will pop out of the track when you are in there... the Tepui folks said they observed that on some of the bigger tents (they had a prototype at Death Valley where we met them), and it's probably because the tent floor is "longer" that maybe it didn't sit in the groove properly.. after that we just made sure when we set the tent up they are really connected (look on both side) and if not push it in a bit... haven't had that problem since..

stingray1300

Explorer
OK, I'm a little lost now...

When I opened the tent for the first time and crawled into it, I did NOT have the extension anchored (staked). So when I sat on the tent floor, the one side of the floor "dropped" a tiny bit. Once I got off of it, it sprang back. Not looking at it, but just thinking about it, maybe the extension needs to be anchored/staked, to essentially force the grooves to mate together.

Or am I not seeing this right? What did you "push in a bit"? What did you "make sure they were really connected"?

-confused-

Box Rocket

OK, I'm a little lost now...

When I opened the tent for the first time and crawled into it, I did NOT have the extension anchored (staked). So when I sat on the tent floor, the one side of the floor "dropped" a tiny bit. Once I got off of it, it sprang back. Not looking at it, but just thinking about it, maybe the extension needs to be anchored/staked, to essentially force the grooves to mate together.

Or am I not seeing this right? What did you "push in a bit"? What did you "make sure they were really connected"?

-confused-

You don't need to stake down the extension. Just make sure the mating grooves between the two sections of the base are seated correctly and you should be good. Let me know if you have any questions.

caddo

Make sure both sides looked like this

IMG_8137.jpg

and that nothing gets caught between the tracks when you open the tent (the mattress cover might be caught there when opening)

if the panels are not completely joined, we usually just picked up the ladder and push the panel towards the other..

stingray1300

Explorer
I'll have to look at this next Friday. I got the AC mat and the memory foam to install with the new mattress cover. That's when I will do some tweaks to it, along with getting farther along on the fairing.
Thanks for the photos and the help! I'll let ya know...

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
Experimentation with Tepui products:
IMG_7645_zpsda042406.jpg

At the Ouray KOA last year.
0959590D-4A80-4624-A0A9-E4C077E777B3-180-0000000620F5879A_zps56d15249.jpg

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
Getting a little impatient only because my tent cost me about 2,000$
Returned my tent & was promised I'd get a call as soon as it was in their hands to process my refund & purchase the tent I actually wanted-
It was marked as received and signed for last Friday and nada.
Didn't get a call Monday, called them at 415 & 445 assuming they were busy but not closed & no pick up...

Called this morning and got someone who said they were covering a shift & couldn't process my refund, but soon as the right people were in I'd absolutely get a call...

That was at 11 am. Call again at 4 & 430... Nobody picks up.

Really don't wanna be pushy but that was too much money for me to still be liable for on my credit card and run into this many dead ends....

The goal here is to build your rig stronger than you are stupid.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
Speak of the devil I get a call back five minutes later.
Faith restored, rock on dudes can't wait to get mine!
Again...

Box Rocket

All it takes is a little patience. ;) I'm not even in the same state as the guys in the Tepui shop but I do know that Griffin and Dani have been away from the shop on trips, and Evan is expecting a new baby at any moment. If you're waiting on a response from the guys at Tepui, hang in there. I promise they'll respond as quickly as they can, there is just some "life" going on.

Also, this whole refund business.......is happening because YOU ordered the wrong tent. :) It's all good, just giving you a hard time.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
All it takes is a little patience. ;) I'm not even in the same state as the guys in the Tepui shop but I do know that Griffin and Dani have been away from the shop on trips, and Evan is expecting a new baby at any moment. If you're waiting on a response from the guys at Tepui, hang in there. I promise they'll respond as quickly as they can, there is just some "life" going on.

Also, this whole refund business.......is happening because YOU ordered the wrong tent. :) It's all good, just giving you a hard time.

Oh absolutely I screwed up in the first place and they undoubtedly jumped through hoops to get my tent back and send it off to another impatient customer.

But with two months worth of paychecks on the line with a company I've never dealt with before, I was justifiably nervous. But after all this, theyve more than impressed me & will absolutely have my business from here on out.

Box Rocket

Oh absolutely I screwed up in the first place and they undoubtedly jumped through hoops to get my tent back and send it off to another impatient customer.

But with two months worth of paychecks on the line with a company I've never dealt with before, I was justifiably nervous. But after all this, theyve more than impressed me & will absolutely have my business from here on out.

Like I said, I was just giving you a hard time. Glad it's all working out. All I can say is that the customer service I recieved was a big reason I bought a Tepui in the first place. And also played a factor in becoming a distributor. Those guys are a good bunch to be associated with. They will always do their best to take care of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven