Tepui Tent RTT

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
Is a sliding ladder an option? How is it better than the telescoping ladder ?
Multiple latches failed on my telescoping ladder. I've read that others have had issue with dirt getting into the mechanism and binding it up. I was told that the mechanism may have become misaligned during use. - Or, it could've been my 800 pound hairy gorilla backside running up and down the ladder that worn out... ;-P

The sliding ladder deals with all of those issues by being a much simpler mechanism. More gorilla resistant.

The very gracious folks at Tepui sent me a slider at my request to cover the warranty replacement of the telescoping ladder.

I, too, had an issue with the cover leaking when exposed to heavy rain and highway speeds. I replaced it with a Gordigear cover. Their's is made of the same material as the supplied cover, but appears to be more robustly built.

Forgot to mention earlier that from them I acquired a spreader bar that makes the annex roof fabric taut (so that rain does not pool on top).

I don't remember the item's proper name, but I also bought a ring of fabric (made of the same material as the cover) that protects the outside circumference of the mattress from coming in direct contact with the side fabric of the tent. This is designed to prevent wicking of moisture through the tent fabric into the mattress. So far, it performs as advertised.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Multiple latches failed on my telescoping ladder. I've read that others have had issue with dirt getting into the mechanism and binding it up. I was told that the mechanism may have become misaligned during use. - Or, it could've been my 800 pound hairy gorilla backside running up and down the ladder that worn out... ;-P

The sliding ladder deals with all of those issues by being a much simpler mechanism. More gorilla resistant.

The very gracious folks at Tepui sent me a slider at my request to cover the warranty replacement of the telescoping ladder.

Do you have any pix of the ladder? I have not used my tent yet, but I suspect that the telescoping ladder will not do well in the desert due to sand. I should just ask Tepui to swap mine before I use it.

I also re-waterproofed the fabric - I had some wicking issues with the mattress being up against one of the sides. But no more. :)

what did you use to waterproof the fabric?

I don't remember the item's proper name, but I also bought a ring of fabric (made of the same material as the cover) that protects the outside circumference of the mattress from coming in direct contact with the side fabric of the tent. This is designed to prevent wicking of moisture through the tent fabric into the mattress. So far, it performs as advertised.

I'm trying to understand this one as well. Is the mattress going to get wet on me during a heavy rain? Do you have any pix of the "ring" that you made?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
Do you have any pix of the ladder? I have not used my tent yet, but I suspect that the telescoping ladder will not do well in the desert due to sand. I should just ask Tepui to swap mine before I use it.
I do have some pictures, but I'm not sure they'd be diagnostic for you or helpful. Were I to do it all over again, I would insist on having a sliding ladder rather than the telescoping one. No "dis" on the product, just that the slider has fewer moving parts and feels more stable.

I also bought the ladder extension - just in case I set up on a slope and the slider isn't long enough.

I should mention that the Gordigear cover I got is made specifically for a tent of identical size with a sliding ladder, which sits higher than the telescoping ladder when stowed. I'm not sure how tight a fit it would be with the stock Tepui cover. I assume it'll be fine, or they would've addressed it already...

what did you use to waterproof the fabric?
16A87652-0790-4B17-A24F-A2F718C2A1EF_zpss2yrsbu3.jpg

I'm trying to understand this one as well. Is the mattress going to get wet on me during a heavy rain? Do you have any pix of the "ring" that you made?
My mattress got wet when the cover leaked, and water wicked through the tent fabric into the mattress. What I got from Gordigear was this (please excuse the crappy photos taken from their video):
ADDB4FC4-452F-4C4F-AC15-BB442A4C5C7D_zpsxgybudqp.png

2A9B7925-7D56-45C0-B154-AAAD21791CAE_zpsmjplwjju.png

Not only do I not recall it's proper name, I can't find it listed on their site. Oh - and to be clear, I certainly did not make this. I wish I did: I could probably sell a few (hint-hint, Tepui).

Here's a couple of stills from the video showing the spreader bar:
DB702DFD-FDC0-48F3-ABAB-B9BE01786D97_zpss8ejv1kx.png

AE67348F-8B53-4716-B986-423AD0F00C16_zps5qc8qxz4.png

Come on Tepui - I demand more variety of product to spend my hard-earned money on!!!! :wings:

Last edited:

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
Forgot to add: I want to give a genuine, heartfelt "shout-out" to the customer service at Tepui. They've done everything I've asked of them, and they've met every need I had regarding their products.

Last edited:

caddo

Thank you! And just WHY isn't there anything in the "manual" about them? :) It's not like they're intuitive. Might there be a photo of this set up somewhere? I'm trying to picture the rings -INSIDE- the tent?

It's not in the manual but one of the installation video they put on Youtube shows what they are for.. but even if you dont put them on it makes little difference when closing the tent anyway

grogie

Like to Camp
Regarding the anti-condensation mat... Who was using their Tepui without one and later added it?

I bought one, but at least for the recently new Ayer, I don't think I can keep anything else inside the RTT when closed up with the mat in place (which currently I've got two sleeping bags and blankets inside). I'm headed out to Utah soon so I think I'll just see how it goes without it? I can keep the windows cracked more for ventilation, plus I've got a fan that hangs inside.

Comments? Thx

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
I added mine after a week in Ouray - my mattress started to get "the funk" from accumulated moisture. The water gets IN the mattress, so increasing the surface area exposed to the atmosphere by adding a AC mat makes a lot of sense. No regrets on the purchase.

Box Rocket

For those concerned with the Telescoping ladder with the Tepui Tents, failure of these ladders is rare and isolated cases. IMO the sliding ladder is not an upgrade to the telescoping ladder, rather the other way around. I use my own tents with the telescoping ladders almost exclusively in the desert with very sandy conditions and I've never had an issue. The telescoping ladder also does not need en extension that might be needed with the sliding ladder for tents mounted higher.

All that being said, Tepui does offer a sliding ladder that can be purchased separately if you would prefer that.

parpayropig, what brand tent is that in your photos? I don't recognize the lizard logo.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Regarding the anti-condensation mat... Who was using their Tepui without one and later added it?

I bought one, but at least for the recently new Ayer, I don't think I can keep anything else inside the RTT when closed up with the mat in place (which currently I've got two sleeping bags and blankets inside). I'm headed out to Utah soon so I think I'll just see how it goes without it? I can keep the windows cracked more for ventilation, plus I've got a fan that hangs inside.

Comments? Thx

I don't have one but plan to get one. I live in the Midwest and the dew is thick in the mornings and I find the mattress wet from condensation on the aluminum, even when I sleep with it all opened up.

osidepunker

Adventurer
For those concerned with the Telescoping ladder with the Tepui Tents, failure of these ladders is rare and isolated cases. IMO the sliding ladder is not an upgrade to the telescoping ladder, rather the other way around. I use my own tents with the telescoping ladders almost exclusively in the desert with very sandy conditions and I've never had an issue. The telescoping ladder also does not need en extension that might be needed with the sliding ladder for tents mounted higher.

All that being said, Tepui does offer a sliding ladder that can be purchased separately if you would prefer that.

Thx for the reassurance :) Sand concerns me. Ive had it ruin gear in the past so I get nervous about things like slide mechanisms or those little latches for the rungs etc.

Ill give it a shot though and see how it does ;)

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
parpayropig, what brand tent is that in your photos? I don't recognize the lizard logo.
Gordigear. Those stills are from their product demo video on YouTube. That particular tent in the video IIRC is the Explorer Plus. It's analogous to the Autana.

grogie

Like to Camp
I don't have one but plan to get one. I live in the Midwest and the dew is thick in the mornings and I find the mattress wet from condensation on the aluminum, even when I sleep with it all opened up.

Well as I said the mat is thick. I'm wondering if a couple of small blankets on each side would help if it's moisture collecting on the pad as a result of being against the aluminum? I'll see as time goes on? At least for my setup, space is always at a premium. :)

osidepunker

Adventurer
So I was looking the the cover yesterday and I agree with others, it looks like it will get wet at the zipper fabric. Dont know about how much it will wick, but it needs to be addressed.

I dont know if tepui pays attention to threads like these, but what they need to do is sew a 2"-4" skirt around the bottom edge so that the zipper fabric is protected. Would be super easy to add.

Im going to talk with them and see if they have any ideas for me. If not, I will either try to sew a skirt on myself or look into water proofing the zipper fabric.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I really don't have a dog in this and probably shouldn't even post this... but... in my honest opinion these ladders are designed to be as light and compact as possible; which is a good thing considering we all want our RTT to be as light and as aerodynamic as possible. With that said, i find it difficult to be upset if you are over 250lbs climbing up and down these ladders especially if they are fully extended and angled out as far as possible. I only say this because i've had two RTT and let a few of our "bigger" local club members climb up to take a look at the tent. One of the guys is over 300lbs and when he got on the ladder i was thinking "good lord" is that a good idea?

So, i'm not calling anyone a fat ***, just saying to keep in mind the design of these ladders. Even if they say can support 500 lbs, that's in a perfect situation at the perfect angle.

That's all....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven