Tepui Tent RTT

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
So I was looking the the cover yesterday and I agree with others, it looks like it will get wet at the zipper fabric. Dont know about how much it will wick, but it needs to be addressed.

I dont know if tepui pays attention to threads like these, but what they need to do is sew a 2"-4" skirt around the bottom edge so that the zipper fabric is protected. Would be super easy to add.

Im going to talk with them and see if they have any ideas for me. If not, I will either try to sew a skirt on myself or look into water proofing the zipper fabric.

Yes we watch these threads. :) Thank you for the suggestion.

Box Rocket

FWIW, I have never had a problem in the past 3+ years I've had Tepui tents with the zipper fabric wicking enough moisture to get the mattress wet. I suppose it could happen but from my own experience it never has and I've been through some serious rain, and long highway stretches in heavy rain with cars kicking up large "roosters" of water that soaked the outside of the tent cover. Everything on the inside stayed dry as a bone. Like I said, that's just my experience so I think people can have a high level of confidence that their tents will stay dry.

osidepunker

Adventurer
FWIW, I have never had a problem in the past 3+ years I've had Tepui tents with the zipper fabric wicking enough moisture to get the mattress wet. I suppose it could happen but from my own experience it never has and I've been through some serious rain, and long highway stretches in heavy rain with cars kicking up large "roosters" of water that soaked the outside of the tent cover. Everything on the inside stayed dry as a bone. Like I said, that's just my experience so I think people can have a high level of confidence that their tents will stay dry.

Well maybe I will just waterproof the fabric there and leave it at that.

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
Never had an issue with water infiltrating through the zipper fabric. - And that's from driving through MANY miles in the monsoonal rains of south Florida & long road trips.

I did hit the zipper area with leftover waterproofing solution when I redid the tent.

Still no issues. Everything now is just about as watertight as a submarine hatch. :)

stingray1300

Explorer
Yes we watch these threads. :) Thank you for the suggestion.

That's nice to know! (Bernard? Griffin? Dani?) I was the one who brought up the zipper cloth getting wet.
What do you think of the webbing strap upgrades I made to my Gran Sabana? (photos posted above)
I have also fabricated a fairing out of aluminum. The whole thing weighs 6 lbs. It is in "beta mode" right now. I'll post/send pics when I'm happy with it.

cs0430

Considering the purchase of a new RTT in the next few weeks. One thing I haven't been able to get a straight answer to is can the tent 'frame' support itself with the ladder up, or does it need the ladder to support the cantilevered section? One of the benefits to the telescoping ladder in theory is that it could be fully collapsed with someone up above allowing 2+ more people to sleep below. That might be the difference between me getting a model with an annex or one without.

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
The RTTs are designed such that I would think the ladder is essential to support the cantilevered section under load. Otherwise I'd expect shutff to get broke. Between the wife & I there's no way the tent can survive with over 350+ pounds in it unsupported. (I'm 6'4" & 275lbs). :Wow1:

Incidentally, you can have many folk sleeping in an annex around the deployed ladder - the number is dependent on the size of the folk & how cozy they want to be.

There are many more uses for the annex than sleeping; changing area, washup area, vastly increased covered shelter... I wouldn't get another RTT without one. The Autana is the model I got, and my only regret is that they don't offer a ruggedized version (yet?).

Last edited:

compactcamping

Explorer
In the below picture, notice the black webbing that runs up and beside the roof panels. This attaches to the floor on both ends and around the bows. On Mombasa's because of the straps, an unsupported(no ladder in place) cantilevered section is rated at supporting 200 lbs. I have a couple of customers that climb in on the rack side of their tents putting there feet out into the cantilevered section without using a ladder. Worth noting, I always recommend using the ladder. On a Tepui the straps can easily support a couple hundred pounds, although I would have to review the base attachments to see if they are strong enough. I've also never asked them for an official rating

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Well as I said the mat is thick. I'm wondering if a couple of small blankets on each side would help if it's moisture collecting on the pad as a result of being against the aluminum? I'll see as time goes on? At least for my setup, space is always at a premium. :)

My matress collects moisture from the aluminum floor when the morning dew is thick, which it is often in the midwest.

caddo

The way it was explained to me, is the hinge on the roof top tent floor acts like a reversed suspension bridge so it can support the weight without the ladder.. but from real life experience I think the ladder is helping the suspended half of the floor stay in the groove..

grogie

Like to Camp
Added a couple of Coleman Zephyr LED light/fans modified from using 6v battery (4 D cells) to running off 12v using a 12v DC to 6v DC stepdown transformer inside each fan. The fans mount to the tent's tubular frame using Ram Mounts Tough Claws, short mounting arms and 2" circular base plates:

ama5e3yb.jpg

Really nice job with the wiring! SMART. I also have two Coleman fans as well and hang them along the top. Although their using D batteries. Nice for warm nights!

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
Anyone have an Autana and wished they got the Autana Sky? Or vice versa? Trying to decide if I want the skylight.
I don't recall if the Autana Sky was available at the time I purchased my Autana, but I do wish that I had the Sky, for no other reason than to have the roof panels open for ventilation AND visibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven