Tepui Tent RTT

Box Rocket

I doubt you "overpowered" the set screws as these are tested with much more weight than your 195lbs. Sorry about the failure of the ladder, but chances are that one or more of the set screws had come lose over time resulting in the failure. It sounds like you have a fix already and I doubt you'll have any more issues. However, if you are interested in warrantying the ladder, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. One option would be to swap it for a sliding ladder, although personally think the telescoping ladder is a superior design. Either way, let me know if I can help out. And thanks for the feedback.

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
We have a redesigned telescoping ladder that should address any of these types of issues. I will post a photo of the new ladder later today.

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
Here are a couple photos of the updated ladder design. The bottom rung no longer uses the small set screws but is clamped into place for a much sturdier design.

Eric S.

Adventurer
That looks like a much better design. Glad you guys keep improving things :)
Heading out again this weekend guess I find if if the larger set-screws hold up.

Eric S.

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer Box Rocket. Think I'll see how the fix works out..although the new ladder does look nice :)
With my Tent mounted on a trailer that is not often set up on level ground I find the telescoping ladder to be quite handy.

Box Rocket

Thanks for the offer Box Rocket. Think I'll see how the fix works out..although the new ladder does look nice :)
With my Tent mounted on a trailer that is not often set up on level ground I find the telescoping ladder to be quite handy.

Sounds good. I'm here to help if you need it.

grogie

Like to Camp
I recently spent two weeks roaming around Utah and spent nine nights in my Tepui. It was awesome... best sleep while camping ever. Every night except for the first night due to rain we left the side windows open (just the screens). Best camping upgrade ever! I also love how quick it is open and close the RTT. A few pictures:

Valley of the Gods

lfKhQg.jpg

Lake Powell

TTGHnu.jpg

Cd26Dm.jpg

mqVu0S.jpg

v5klWV.jpg

Kodachrome State Park

GXRVVO.jpg

Dispersed camping in Capital Reef National Park, which was a bit spooky as there was no one within miles (we think!).

OIYApQ.jpg

After climbing the mesa at the start of Gemini Bridges trail outside of Moab.

WskA6E.jpg

Further along Gemini Bridges trail.

OqE9wx.jpg

Deadhorse State Park

EGNSy6.jpg

Last edited:

fubar

Adventurer
While the standard mattress is ok, my wife and I prefer it with a memory foam topper. I found it hard to close the zipper with the topper left inside the tent. It was even more of a pain to remove the topper. This combined with the marginal Velcro, I decided to add 4 of these...

f9e0c261adb3404e6528ced69b2f1ed8.jpg

I used 36 inch side release straps but 24 inch would work. I replaced the 2 on the ends and added 2 under the ladder mounts. I cut the straps 5 inches from the buckle, melted the ends, and installed with slightly larger self tapping screws.

I'm very happy with the results. They cinch down well and have held up well so far.

The only problem was there seems to be some additional structure in the aluminum edge. Caused a couple of wonky holes. Should not affect performance.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've been troubled by exterior zippers for many years and I decided not to even use the one that TEPUI offers, probably works great anyway, but
-

I just added a strap front/back--quick, very secure and convenient !

001_zps3125b80c.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

grogie

Like to Camp
^Jimbo, so you don't use the zipper at all? Any issues with dust getting in? I have a gel topper that I remove and put in my trailer. Just takes a couple more minutes, but being able to leave the topper inside would be a plus. It's way too thick to do so and zip it up. I do however leave two sleeping bags inside.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yeah, the zipper would be the final sealer, but

^Jimbo, so you don't use the zipper at all? Any issues with dust getting in? I have a gel topper that I remove and put in my trailer. Just takes a couple more minutes, but being able to leave the topper inside would be a plus. It's way too thick to do so and zip it up. I do however leave two sleeping bags inside.

Remember, my RTT is at 76" high and even though I'm able to stand on sliders/tires/bumpers--I'm able to leave my "0" double sleeping bag and pillows inside the RTT, without having to worry about fumbling with that zipper-

If you fold the mattress/bag/over to the hinge end, doing that before closing the open end half, you can even spread, tidy corners and insure a non-bunched compartment- and leave the pillows/paraphernalia in the open space---it works GOODO !

Now I won't know FOR SURE until next week, when I go fishing in the Sierras-I've just been out in my local NorNv desert this week after installing the TEPUI-

That's another great thing about the JKU--I've got my 10' inflatable boat/oars/motor/lifejackets and the rest of my fishing/packing gear--not to mention ALL my RECOVERY gear-including a Mobile Winch !

Ain't jeepin great ?

:wings: JIMBO

Box Rocket

:sombrero: Yeah, the zipper would be the final sealer, but

Remember, my RTT is at 76" high and even though I'm able to stand on sliders/tires/bumpers--I'm able to leave my "0" double sleeping bag and pillows inside the RTT, without having to worry about fumbling with that zipper-

If you fold the mattress/bag/over to the hinge end, doing that before closing the open end half, you can even spread, tidy corners and insure a non-bunched compartment- and leave the pillows/paraphernalia in the open space---it works GOODO !

Now I won't know FOR SURE until next week, when I go fishing in the Sierras-I've just been out in my local NorNv desert this week after installing the TEPUI-

That's another great thing about the JKU--I've got my 10' inflatable boat/oars/motor/lifejackets and the rest of my fishing/packing gear--not to mention ALL my RECOVERY gear-including a Mobile Winch !

Ain't jeepin great ?

:wings: JIMBO

I have found that when I leave my sleeping bags inside the tent it all fits better and everything closes up easier (including the zipper on the cover) if I fold the bags in half and lay them on the side opposite the hinge. I originally was putting them on the hinge side but the cover was hard to get zipped. When I moved the bags to the other side it put less pressure on the hinges and I could use the Velcro straps on the sides to cinch it down tight. The cover went on much easier after that. Just my two cents.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yeah, I found an even better way in the closing sequence--

I have found that when I leave my sleeping bags inside the tent it all fits better and everything closes up easier (including the zipper on the cover) if I fold the bags in half and lay them on the side opposite the hinge. I originally was putting them on the hinge side but the cover was hard to get zipped. When I moved the bags to the other side it put less pressure on the hinges and I could use the Velcro straps on the sides to cinch it down tight. The cover went on much easier after that. Just my two cents.

After folding over the mattress and sleeping setup---lift the ladder part of the tent and hold at vertical, (wife hold) then tuck the three sides (lotta room), then let that side collapse--everything fits good !

Great product !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven