Tepui Tent RTT

Box Rocket

Pulled some pics from my camera today and figured I'd share. The tent on the trailer is a Ruggedized XL. The one on the truck is a Kukenam Sky. Should give a good look at the difference in size. The Kukenam and Autana are the same footprint and advertised as a 3-man tent. You can clearly see how much bigger the XL is compared to the other two.

surferdude78

Observer
Those are some nice looking tents! I've got the Kukenam in Expedition Orange but have to say that Gray/Navy Blue combo rocks, too.

Do you guys have any plans for an extended version of the Ruggedized?

Box Rocket

Those are some nice looking tents! I've got the Kukenam in Expedition Orange but have to say that Gray/Navy Blue combo rocks, too.

Do you guys have any plans for an extended version of the Ruggedized?

I assume you're talking about one with the covered extension over the ladder like on the Autana models? The answer is yes. We're not too far from having a Ruggedized Autana with annex available

grogie

Like to Camp
Okay, this is a lousy picture but I finally have my bed setup in my new Ayer. Being that it's not huge inside, I found a "small" double-sized sleeping bag on eBay. It's not the thickest bag, and for me it doesn't have enough padding so I also bought two new single sleeping bags (mummy size) to go on top of it (and that have better temperature rating). But still, after having basically a Tempur-pedic bed at home, I wanted that kind of comfort in my RTT! So I found a twin sized 1-1/2" gel top that's a perfect size to slip inside the double bag. Now we're talking comfort!

Unfortunately it's too thick to leave inside the RTT and close it up, but the double bag with the gel top folds up easy enough and slips into a duffle bag that will go inside the trailer below. I'm going to sleep like a baby...:ylsmoke:

6fe006.jpg

osidepunker

Adventurer
Thx Eric! No filing required, plug and play ;]

20140803_142414.jpg

Added a couple chaff guards and I'm good to go:

20140803_180503.jpg

oh and the cover fits just fine with the ladder attached. This will just be a good way for me to use the ladder for other stuff if I need to

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
...Looks great! How did it work out?
Still experimenting.

I'm contemplating adding a second tent, and thinking of a way to attach them to the entrance area of the Autana annex, face-to-face. So, if you're looking out of the front door of the annex, you'd have a tent to your right and to your left. Still working on a way to have overhead cover by incorporating the awning in some way as well.

Back to the drawing board...

In the meanwhile, I'm waiting impatiently for Tepui's version of the Foxwing awning...:)

I did recently get a anticondensation mat and a sliding ladder to replace the telescoping one (UNDER WARRANTY!!!).

I "dejangled" my tent by replacing all of the zipper pulls with paracord - no more sounding like reindeer when opening & closing the tent.

I also re-waterproofed the fabric - I had some wicking issues with the mattress being up against one of the sides. But no more. :)

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer
Cool! Can't wait to see the finished product...
I got 4 long black bungee cords with my Sabana tent. Nothing in the instructions about what they are for. Anyone know?

Box Rocket

Cool! Can't wait to see the finished product...
I got 4 long black bungee cords with my Sabana tent. Nothing in the instructions about what they are for. Anyone know?

Those are meant to be clipped to small rings on the inside walls of the tent when it's closed up. It helps pull the fabric in when closing the tent so there is less to tuck back in under the cover.

stingray1300

Explorer
Thank you! And just WHY isn't there anything in the "manual" about them? :) It's not like they're intuitive. Might there be a photo of this set up somewhere? I'm trying to picture the rings -INSIDE- the tent?

I have one of these tents (they are fine quality by the way, and actual customer service included). Their prices are more down to Earth which is nice.

I do not have a picture of the rings but you quite simply attach the bungees to the rings before stowage...or you can forget to do this step and simply tuck in the fabric on your own when installing the cover.

Hope this helps someone.

stingray1300

Explorer
Make sure both sides looked like this

View attachment 235784

and that nothing gets caught between the tracks when you open the tent (the mattress cover might be caught there when opening)

if the panels are not completely joined, we usually just picked up the ladder and push the panel towards the other..

OK, I set up my tent in the driveway (I know...."Poser!"), and I discovered that the mating of the groove/channel is most certainly dependent on pulling the extension/annex top down and anchoring it. Just thought you should know.
I have also been busy upgrading my tent.
1) I just had to replace those awful D-rings and Velcro on the cover straps and the tent binding straps. Now I have webbing clips. Super easy to do! Cost: <$10
2) the webbing strap anchor plates (.064" aluminum on the cover straps, and plastic on the tent binding straps). I made a set out of 1/8" stainless steel. See photos. You will see that I used a little webbing to "wrap" the anchor plate on the tent binding strap. Don't think it will ever give me problems now!
RTTclip.jpg
RTTanchor1.jpg
RTTanchor3.jpg
RTTanchor4.jpg

stingray1300

Explorer
I have one of these tents (they are fine quality by the way, and actual customer service included). Their prices are more down to Earth which is nice.

I do not have a picture of the rings but you quite simply attach the bungees to the rings before stowage...or you can forget to do this step and simply tuck in the fabric on your own when installing the cover.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks BlueCruiser88. If BoxRocket can't come up with a photo I'll just have to get in there again and check it out.

BTW, has anyone ever noticed anything in the tent getting wet from driving through rain? Even with the cover on there is still some exposed fabric below the zipper. I thought about using some of the new Nevr-Wet (1 stage stuff now).
Thanks!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Still experimenting.

I'm contemplating adding a second tent, and thinking of a way to attach them to the entrance area of the Autana annex, face-to-face. So, if you're looking out of the front door of the annex, you'd have a tent to your right and to your left. Still working on a way to have overhead cover by incorporating the awning in some way as well.

Back to the drawing board...

In the meanwhile, I'm waiting impatiently for Tepui's version of the Foxwing awning...:)

I did recently get a anticondensation mat and a sliding ladder to replace the telescoping one (UNDER WARRANTY!!!).

I "dejangled" my tent by replacing all of the zipper pulls with paracord - no more sounding like reindeer when opening & closing the tent.

I also re-waterproofed the fabric - I had some wicking issues with the mattress being up against one of the sides. But no more. :)

Is a sliding ladder an option? How is it better than the telescoping ladder ?

Great mod! And exactly how it should be from the factory. The velcro does not cut it when you have a sleeping bag sandwiched inside the tent and its fighting you to shut.

Thanks for sharing this.

OK, I set up my tent in the driveway (I know...."Poser!"), and I discovered that the mating of the groove/channel is most certainly dependent on pulling the extension/annex top down and anchoring it. Just thought you should know.
I have also been busy upgrading my tent.
1) I just had to replace those awful D-rings and Velcro on the cover straps and the tent binding straps. Now I have webbing clips. Super easy to do! Cost: <$10
2) the webbing strap anchor plates (.064" aluminum on the cover straps, and plastic on the tent binding straps). I made a set out of 1/8" stainless steel. See photos. You will see that I used a little webbing to "wrap" the anchor plate on the tent binding strap. Don't think it will ever give me problems now!
View attachment 239171
View attachment 239172
View attachment 239173
View attachment 239174

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven