Tepui Tent RTT

ORWJ

I'm looking at the Tepui Ayer, especially because of the relatively low weight, but I'm a little concerned about the low profile. Subtracting the base and mattress, it's about 35" at the centerline I'm guessing.

Anyone with first hand experience on this?

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
This thread was specifically what sealed the deal for me ordering my Tepui Kukenam RTT. I can't wait to get some real shots of it actually camping instead of this poser driveway picture. :p

2012-06-23_12-55-22_981.jpg

Great product for a great price.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
A few examples of a Kukenam installed on a MBRP rack (2010 JK Unlimited Sport)uploadfromtaptalk1350265445346.jpg
ta8e9yry.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1350265539456.jpguploadfromtaptalk1350265570635.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350265484441.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350265484441.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 51

m3bassman

Observer
Any long term reviews on these tents. im exploring the idea of a RTT in the next year. have some buddies that have CVT's and having seen them in person and getting the skinny on the excellent customer service, the are very appealing in my eye. However, seeing that this tent is less expensive, and sounds like just as excellent customer service, i want to know if i will be just as satisfied with this brand. Most importantly, long term reliability and quality. thanks.

coastsider

Adventurer
Any long term reviews on these tents. im exploring the idea of a RTT in the next year. have some buddies that have CVT's and having seen them in person and getting the skinny on the excellent customer service, the are very appealing in my eye. However, seeing that this tent is less expensive, and sounds like just as excellent customer service, i want to know if i will be just as satisfied with this brand. Most importantly, long term reliability and quality. thanks.

Hey there,
I've had my Tepui RRT for nearly two years and have used it in all weather conditions from rain to extreme heat and wind. It's not quite as well made as some of the other much more expensive makes but frankly mine has held together well with nothing breaking yet. I did do a little upgrading of some of the components, namely the brass rings that hold the canopy poles (I just installed them a little more accurately). I waterproofed all the seams, just to be safe. The Tepui customer service is great, the guys are very friendly and will help you out with anything you need.

You can read the full test of my tent on my website here: http://endless-adventure.com/?p=1

Last edited:

m3bassman

Observer
Hey there,
I've had my Tepui RRT for nearly two years and have used it in all weather conditions from rain to extreme heat and wind. It's not quite as well made as some of the other much more expensive makes but frankly mine has held together well with nothing breaking yet. I did do a little upgrading of some of the components, namely the brass rings that hold the canopy poles (I just installed them a little more accurately). I waterproofed all the seams, just to be safe. The Tepui customer service is great, the guys are very friendly and will help you out with anything you need.

You can read the full test of my tent on my website here: http://endless-adventure.com/?p=1

Very cool. I actually read your article last night in my digging around. Besides the brass, are there any other quality issues you have come across at this point? You hint that they aren't as well made as others and I'm curious in specifically what ways its not as well made. Thanks for your rapid response!

Ronct110

Adventurer
I just purchased my Tepui Ayer RTT from Evan (owner) about a month ago, have only taken it camping once, and like it very much so far. Comes complete w/the hardware and even the wrenches to tighten the bolts and complete the install. Time will tell - will chime back here next year.

Also I was comparing mine to a friend who purchased his Tepui RTT over a year ago; holding up well. Noticed upgrades on the newer models including a 3rd strap for the dust cover, and all the straps are UV protected.

toymaster

Explorer
My impression is the same as coastsider; he pretty much nailed it in his reply and review.

All of the fittings and hardware are on the light side as well as the fabric. It all is holding up to its duty. The only problem I have had is how the ladder sits when it is folded. The telescoping ladder has screw heads that continually rub on the plastic? of the floor panels. In the field I installed temporarily several layers of black tape to limit the damage till a better solution is found.

I have had very limited service from Tepui. I ordered online and it was shipped. They did however, send it 'signature required' via truck shipment without any notice to me. I am working out of the country and this caused some trouble for me. By the time I got any message it was threats of returning the tent at my expense. I was not happy to say the least. To send a piece of equipment of such low value on signature required terms without notice was surprising to me. After I actually was notified via email a few phone calls and it was resolved. I also informed the person who finally decided to email me that they needed to at least inform a customer of their shipping practices; I reviewed the receipt and nothing was indicated. I do lead a different lifestyle so some allowances should be allowed but I did not like the tone of the voice messages nor the that fact they said they had been trying to contact me for a week when it had only been a two day weekend.

If a thousand dollars is your budget I would recommend Tepui but not any more than any other Chinese made tent. It will serve great as a three season occasional use tent; if this is all of your use why pay for the extra weight of a heavy walled canvas tent? The Tepui did seem to be the bang for the buck in its market segment.

I am now thinking of upgrading to a high end brand. At the time I was purchasing a national luna fridge and a RTT for the upcoming family summer time activities so, the low cost and low weight and good reviews sold me.

toymaster

Explorer
You (coastsider) hint that they aren't as well made as others and I'm curious in specifically what ways its not as well made.

They are as well made as any of the lower end RTTs. The cheaper tents are made, well, of less quality material to a lower standard of craftsmanship. The fabric is lighter (check out the weight they use, it is on all of the company's websites) The hardware is also lighter and therefore more fragile; this includes the hinges, brackets, bolts, straps, and ladder. The flooring is also some kind of a plastic/fiber board versus plywood. All of it geared to lower production costs and lower the price point. Not saying this is inherently bad just the components are of a lower quality. The quality is on par with the rest of them such as ARB, Mombasa, and CVT. With proper care I am sure the tents will last many years.

m3bassman

Observer
They are as well made as any of the lower end RTTs. The cheaper tents are made, well, of less quality material to a lower standard of craftsmanship. The fabric is lighter (check out the weight they use, it is on all of the company's websites) The hardware is also lighter and therefore more fragile; this includes the hinges, brackets, bolts, straps, and ladder. The flooring is also some kind of a plastic/fiber board versus plywood. All of it geared to lower production costs and lower the price point. Not saying this is inherently bad just the components are of a lower quality. The quality is on par with the rest of them such as ARB, Mombasa, and CVT. With proper care I am sure the tents will last many years.
thanks for all the info guys. Having experienced the CVTs first hand, and the only RTT i have experienced, to me they seemed to be high quality. Seeing as this is on par and proably made right along CVTs in the same factory, i feel confident in investing in one of these.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Well I have bought a tepui that is 200 grams,the cvt tent is 260grams .So theirs is thicker. I have had a few things come up on mine so I will finish my suggestion soon when I get some stuff taken care of. So hold on you guys will think when you ready the final . If i were you guys also check out compact camping concepts ,talked to him a few times and his tents are made in USA also very helpfull and he is on here also. To be continued

coastsider

Adventurer
Very cool. I actually read your article last night in my digging around. Besides the brass, are there any other quality issues you have come across at this point? You hint that they aren't as well made as others and I'm curious in specifically what ways its not as well made. Thanks for your rapid response!

It's not that they are not well made it's a case of slightly lower quality of materials etc. They are made in China I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk