Tepui Tent RTT

Xterabl

Adventurer
Not that there is anything wrong with Chinese manufacturing!

Yeah, besides that in many cases it borders on slavery...there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Afterall, we must have it cheap here in USofA.

womacje

Adventurer
Yeah, besides that in many cases it borders on slavery...there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Afterall, we must have it cheap here in USofA.

X,

That is a definite risk, if an importer isn't careful as to where they source their manufacturing from. On the other hand, from my limited experience as a furniture designer for a larger retail chain here in the US, all of the factories in china that I visited were staffed by mostly people from poor farming communities. The factories, almost always provide lodgings for these employees and Chinese New Year which can be up to a month long break with no production happening so these individuals can go home to their families. I realize that the company I worked for checked into each and every manufacturer to make sure that their employees were being treated "fairly" pay wise, hours worked, working conditions, etc.

The only reason I share this, is because I found it fascinating when I first discovered it. Do I now try to buy things made in the US, as a rule, yes! China makes what they are asked to make, sadly that isn't always a quality long lasting product, but in some cases it is.

Back to the topic at hand:
"Tepui Tents said: First of all thank you for inviting me to this thread. I am more than happy to answer some of these questions..."
Welcome to the forum and a belated welcome to the industry. Good to hear that you are doing your due diligence to make sure you have a good product being loaded into the containers. I look forward to seeing your product. Best of luck,

Jeremy

Paijanne

You do realize that a company can say that a product was made in the USA even if it was made in Mexico and that the conditions that are forced upon factory workers there (particularly women) are equally horrific if not worse in many ways than what occurs in China. No product is really free of the conditions you are referring to, particularly not the ones that you think are safe.

Welcome to globalization, its a great idea except that no one has laws in place to deal with it.

I recommend reading about the Made in the US label regulations: http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard

Thinking that you can avoid participating in the market that makes these conditions by only buying products from countries with legal workers rights that you approve of is ill founded. The fact of the matter is that, short of locally grown food, almost all products have some component made somewhere that you don't know about and wouldn't like if you did know about it. If you want to change it then you should start fighting for stricter laws in terms of companies need to tell you about their manufacturing process. Additionally, you should fight for any international workers rights that you feel are important (when you do so, please take into account the cultural practices of the people you are trying to help).

Xterabl

Adventurer
****** is up with this drivel? Did I say China is the only place with such labor conditions exist?
And what qualifies you to make the statement "...it's a great idea" with regard to globalization? I am not sure that too many people think it's a "great" idea. What does "great" mean, anyways, in your thinking, and in this context?

And if I DID explicitly make a comment about things being made in the USA (which I didn't; I only made an inference), I would mean ACTUALLY, truly, made in the USA by non-union, market-competing labor participants, not some bureaucrat's (by the way you sound like one) idea of how "made in the USA" should be defined.

And no I am not going to fight for some stupid international worker's rights if they are not yet motivated to do so on their own via lessons taught by prior generations...and if I were for some reason to do so, I certainly wouldn't take into account their cultural practices because clearly those practices are not conducive to freedom and liberty if they are in such a position to begin with.
Tell you what...I'll end my rant if you quit your holier-than-thou lecturing.

Last edited:

ethernectar

Adventurer
I purchased a Tepui tent a few months ago. Evan answered a bunch of questions ahead of time. It was reasonably priced and somewhat local so I went and saw one in person and picked it up then. The guys at the surplus store (J&S) were helpful and helped me install it on the spot.

I took it out on its first trip over father's day and it did great, my only complaint is on the zipper that connects the cover to the base, its a little rough, hoping that some soap will help smooth it out next time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethernectar/5849488239/

Mullet5

Just thought I would throw my two cents into the ring here...

A few days ago I met up with Evan from Tepui Tents to check out the Autana (the bigger of the two tents). He is a genuinely nice guy. He is an off road enthusiast, and he actually seems to care about the product he is selling. I know how hard it is to get a real idea of the quality of one of these tents without actually seeing one, so getting up close and personal with the Autana was great. The tent seems very high quality, nice materials, and very nice stitching (no random loose threads, wandering stitches, or uneven cut lines). I loved it, and it fit three of us no problem.

I have been shopping around for a roof tent for a couple of months now, and I was going into full blow indecision mode. Frantically searching forums for reviews, leaving 27 tabs open on my browser, I even started a spreadsheet so I could write down all of the different specs of each brand and model... Then I saw the Tepui in person. I am buying that one. Between the customer service and the quality of the tent, I am done shopping around. I'll put up lots of pictures and write a review as soon as I buy one.

New Horizons Overland

NEWHORIZONSOVERLAND
Hey Mullet. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. I am on the cliff edge myself with deciding on what tent I want. Would love to see a Tepui but I live in North Carolina which makes that kinda hard.

Mullet5

So I went and picked it up last Saturday, but since I have not yet built a roof rack for my Range Rover Classic, it is still just a big brown box in my garage. Soon, I hope!

jeepinguy

sorry kinda diggin this up but has anyone herd anything about Cascadia Vehical Tents (CVT). I cant seem to find to much on them or the material they use seems to be generic. where the're made idk. i was hoping some ppl here would be able to help me make a decision. howling moon or cvt or tepui or arb. idk anymore.

CIFA22

I have a CVT

sorry kinda diggin this up but has anyone herd anything about Cascadia Vehical Tents (CVT). I cant seem to find to much on them or the material they use seems to be generic. where the're made idk. i was hoping some ppl here would be able to help me make a decision. howling moon or cvt or tepui or arb. idk anymore.

I have heard of them and I also own one.....and am very pleased with it. And no, I am not in any way affiliated with them for those who may be anxious to assume that.

I researched pretty much all tents that I was aware of that included Eezi-Awn, Hannibal, Autohome, Tepui, ARB Simpson II (III wasn't out yet)and Camping Labs. I spent 3 years on this while looking for my FJ40. I also spent some time determining where the tents were made. This was somewhat important to me since I try to buy American as much as possible. The goal was to find someone who made a high quality tent that was made and serviced here in America. Had I found one I would have probably purchased it, even if it was deficient in some of the features that were important to me and would have paid more for it. American made is that important to me, and no I don't shop at Home Depot or Lowes for that reason alone. But that's another story.

One thing in this thread that concerns me is that the reader may be left with the impression that ARB is made in Australia. Make no mistake about it...It is made in China and it is made in the exact same factory as the Cascadia Vehicle Tent. Many of their features are identical, NOT ALL but many. As far as the Eezi Awn and Hannibal, I didn't see enough of a quality or feature rich upgrade to warrant the additional cost. Although they both make a high end product. If money were not an issue I would have gone with the one who had a rubberized floor.

The CVT tent quality in my opinion as a user is on par and in some areas exceeds the ARB Simpson and doesn't have many of the issues the ARB Simposn II had. I don't own a Simpson but camp with several who do here in the PNW. I've used it in all weather conditions over the past year that include snow, ice, sideways rain in a 45-50 MPH wind for extended periods and downpour conditions. To date I haven't had a leak or a concern for it's construction quality. It was in my opinion again as a user, very affordable and the service from Bobby Culpepper the owner was outstanding. The number posted on his website at www.cascadiatents.com is his cell phone. He does answer it and also calls back within a very reasonable amount of time. Usually within the hour. Unlike several other vendors of RTT's that have many complaints posted about their lack of response. He will do whatever it takes to make your purchase first class before and after the sale. It's almost like dealing with an American business from the 50's. They truly care about their customers. CVT tents are every bit as good as an ARB Simpson II or III and cost less.

(somewhat off topic but relevant to me) When I went to ARB to actually purchase a Simpson II, I was also picking up my leaf springs for my FJ40. When I asked them about orientation of the OME leafs regarding which end the military wrap went to the spring purchase vs the shackle end I ended up with 6 different opinions from 6 different guys at the warehouse/tech center in Renton, WA. That lack of technical knowledge did little to boost my confidence in their ability to service any needs or knowledgeably answer any questions I had about my vehicle's suspension. Having purchased upgrades from them before with my 94 LC and my 2004 LC and had similar confusing information from them, I came to the conclusion that their indifference to accuracy in their advise was a reflection on their attitude to their customer. it made the decision for me and I opted to only get the springs as I needed them ASAP and I went back to the drawing board on the tents. They were relatively nice but not knowledgeable. I

will also state that their resellers such as Kurt at CruiserOutfitters are top shelf people and my rant about ARB is directed only at the staff of experts at their USA headquarters in Renton, WA. Not at their distributors.

In the end I settled on a blend of product quality, cost, features and who I would be dealing with regarding service should I need it. That last one is huge. Given the posts on this topic (RTT's) in many forums, there are a lot of vendors who represent some of the brand names available. Their customer service is often a topic of dissatisfaction. I've had no issues with my tent at all, and I get a call from Bobby on how I like my tent. Usually after I send him a picture or two of where we've been with the tent. By the way, their office is in Bend, Oregon and yes they do have an office and warehouse. They're not an internet business that drop ships their stuff from a DC center somewhere in the country.

In my research I spoke with CVT customers and then met with the owner at the Puyallup, WA Sportsman Show. What a great guy and he was so incredibly interested in my vehicle, answered my wife's questions etc. It was a pleasure. By the way, he currently is running a special. Buy a tent and get a free Annex room. I've attached my tent with Annex to give you an idea of what it looks like deployed. Also, the Annex has a rubberized floor, not extended flaps that fold in our out to give the appearance of a floor (ARB Simpson - although they are addressing this) . The floor is important for us here in the PNW with all the rain we get and definitely a help in the winter in the snow. Keeps things clean and a nice enclosed room for a potty for my princess. :)

Hope some of this helps and isn't too wordy. Buy what you can afford and with the features you like. Brand names usually means more money, not necessarily more quality. I don't need to buy my shirts at Nordstroms to feel like I have the best.

I still wish I could find a good tent made in America. I'd get it.

DSC03466.JPG

Last edited:

wardrow

Adventurer
How are you doing since your run in with St Peters here in Helena. I chatted with your miss'es in the parking lot About your FJ while you were in the ER. I hope the rest of your trip went well and you are feeling better.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Still looking forward to some pics of the Tepui tents. The price is hard to pass up for a product that appears to be solid. All that have personally checked this tent out seem to give it the thumbs up. Those of you who are lucky enough to have bought one, lets see some pictures in action!

Butch

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal