Tepui Tent RTT

2scars

Adventurer
Recently purchased a Kukenam

I have noticed that you get what you pay with the tent. However, I was in no position to spend the $1500+ for something that was probably still made in China with a different name on it. I almost jumped on the CVT GB over at Tacoma world, but couldn't get my buddy to bite also.

This tent will pay for itself when the fiance and I go on our honeymoon in July. Planning a two week trip to Nova Scotia and just in the savings from hotel fees it will be worth it. When we went to Moab last year, we slept inthe back of the truck under the capa dnd it was hotter than hell. Also, with a platform built to comfortably lay on, we had a heck of a time with getting out all of our gear and cooler and stuff. PITA! This solution keeps the bed free for cooler and whatever and weights less than my topper by itself, not to mention the plywood platform. We slept in it the first weekend after we bought it and it was the best night of sleeping in a tent I have ever experienced.

I got precisely what I paid for!

rat patrol

Adventurer
I. see a lot of folks complaining about made in China...try finding any tent that isn't; North Face, Big Agnesand so on.

So am I to understand Tepui tents are just asgood as any others and it really comes down to how its used?

D

Deleted member 48574

Hi Folks,

I've used my Tepui Kukenam extensively -- probably 100+ nights at this point in all 4 seasons; it's been mounted to my roof rack non stop for 18 months. Here's my thoughts thus far on what isn't quite working:

1) The screens. The screen on the main door is ripped and torn in a few places around the seam; this seems to be caused simply by going in and out. The entire door screen will need to be replaced which will be a difficult enough job.
2) The ladder. The locking mechanism on the ladder is hit-or-miss (I have a telescoping model). Additionally, where the ladder meets the base of the tent is a place of significant wear.
3) The cover. It's worn out; granted some of that is my fault as in the winter I left my very large -40 Celsius rated bags up top; this caused the cover to be a bit bulged out and wear prematurely. A new one is en route from Tepui for $188 bucks.

But, for the 970 dollars I spent on it, this is a GREAT tool. There may be better ones on the market but I'm VERY happy with my RTT. And with 100+ nights, it doesn't take long to pay for itself as compared to a hotel or even paying for a campground. With this, I can camp literally anywhere it's legal without having to worry about ground conditions, rain, etc.

That being said I will shop around for my next one -- we want something with a vestibule, so we may take a gander at CVT or ARB.

Cheers
Craig

EIGHTLUG

Observer
I emailed back and forth with Evan, from Tepui, yesterday. He informed me that the "Siberian Camo" print is now available in the Autana model. I'm ordering the Autana in camo, next week. Thought I'd pass that along to anyone looking for options.

ChamYota

Observer
I just read all 10 pages of this. Good stuff, i plan on getting a Kukunam so this is helping me pull the trigger.

fattfreddie

I have communicated with these people, as they advertise on CL in the SF Bay Area frequently.
They seem decent, but yeah they are basically slinging crap made in China.
Do the math and figure out if it's worth it to you morally to save a few hundred bucks to have oppressed children making your tent rather than skilled workers who are paid a living wage.
Personally I could not care less, they just don't make one in the size I'm looking for LOL.

gregm

I have communicated with these people, as they advertise on CL in the SF Bay Area frequently.
They seem decent, but yeah they are basically slinging crap made in China.
Do the math and figure out if it's worth it to you morally to save a few hundred bucks to have oppressed children making your tent rather than skilled workers who are paid a living wage.
Personally I could not care less, they just don't make one in the size I'm looking for LOL.

Do you know of a RTT of this style that is made in America? Perhaps some research was in order before you challenge peoples morals.

I have had my Tepui for afew months and me and my wife LOVE it! its very easy to setup and really improved are camping expirence (had a pop up before). me have two small issues 1. condensaion forms under the bed (easily wiped away but annoying) 2. the bed is hard (got used to it). As far as bang for your buck Tepui is the best. Happy Trails!

9412_10101058975711538_2011713318_n.jpg

gregm

love our kukenam

we've had ours for about 4 years now and probably have about 200 nights in it on three different vehicles. the only issues we've had were that we wore out a travel cover (easily replaced) and we've upgraded to a 4" memory foam mattress. the tepui staff and customer service has been outstanding for us. it's like anything else, if you take care of your equipment, it will last.
IMG_3853.jpgIMG_2866.jpg

Wicked 2007

Observer
I have had my Tepui for afew months and me and my wife LOVE it! its very easy to setup and really improved are camping expirence (had a pop up before). me have two small issues 1. condensaion forms under the bed (easily wiped away but annoying) 2. the bed is hard (got used to it). As far as bang for your buck Tepui is the best. Happy Trails!

View attachment 191798

http://www.hyperventmarine.com/

This will take care of your problem with condensation.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Works perfect in my tepui tent. Haven't had any condensation since using it

I didn't say it would not work. Our issues are with durability and demonstrable quality - it needs to be better than the anti-condensation underlayment that we already sell for our tents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk