TerraLiner:12 m Globally Mobile Beach House/Class-A Crossover w 6x6 Hybrid Drivetrain

biotect

Designer

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

In terms of rainfall, there is no question that the Lake Titicaca basin as a whole is one of the drier areas in Peru. Not quite as dry as the desert on Peru’s coast, but dry enough. Lake Titicaca is not quite as dry as the far southwestern corner of Bolivia, but it is still located in a region that is semi-arid. It's hard to find a map of precipitation that ignores national boundaries; most maps of precipitation cover either Peru or Bolivia, but not both. Only the following map provides a broader picture of rainfall for the Altiplano as a whole:

5fig1.jpg

But within the overall context of the semi-arid Titicaca basin, the lake itself and its immediate surrounding coastline is actually quite wet. Here are two maps of annual average rainfall, one for the basin as a whole, and the other zoomed-in on Lake Titicaca:

Annual_rainfall_map_Altiplano.jpg Annual Rainfall Titicaca.jpg

These maps suggest that Lake Titicaca in particular receives 800 – 1000 mm of rainfall annually, a comparatively wet oasis surrounded by an otherwise semi-arid, high-altitude plateau. The southern end of the basin receives only 300 – 350 mm of rainfall. Perhaps because the lake is so high up, and loses so much water through evapotranspiration, it actually generates its own rainfall?

The following map paints the same picture of precipitation for the basin as a whole:

Untitled-1 3.jpg

The seasonal climatological consequences are interesting, because contrary to what one might expect, summer is the rainy season on Lake Titicaca, not winter, as would be typical for a Mediterranean climate. In the following map the original legend in Spanish was difficult to read, so I rewrote it, and provided what (I hope) are resasonably accurate English translations (?):

Untitled-1 4.jpg

This map describes the area immediately around Lake Titicaca as either “Rainy and cold, summer rains”, or “Semi-rainy and cold, summer rains”.

The images of Lake Titicaca during the dry season, hillsides covered with well-tended terraces, will probably remind those who have travelled a bit of the drier regions of the Mediterranean. When these dry-brown images contrast with other images of the same terraces lush and green during the wet season, one might conclude that Lake Titicaca’s climate must be Mediterranean. But it is actually the exact opposite, with rain falling most heavily during the warmest months. The images of dry, parched hills with plenty of sunshine were taken during the winter, not the summer.

Vineyards flourish in Mediterranean climates, and there is viticulture in Peru, but in the coastal plain around the city of Pisco, not lake Titicaca. And Bolivian wine production is negligible – see http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-peru and http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-bolivia . The Köppen climate classification system categorizes most of the Altiplano as either BWk (BW – arid desert climate; k – at least one month with an average temperature below 0 °C), or BSk (BS – semi-arid steppe clima; k, the same). For Csa/Csb Mediterranean climates, where viticulture flourishes, one has to go much further south to Chile – see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Köppen_climate_classification . However, lake Titicaca specifically seems to classify as CWb: C – temperate; W – dry winter; b – the warmest month averaging below 22 °C, but with at least four months averaging above 10 °C. Comparatively speaking, Lake Titicaca seems to have a climate similar to many high-altitude areas in Africa (for instance, the Ethiopian highlands), and so too, similar to the climate of the cooler, more arid regions of northern Nepal, northern India, and southern Tibet.

There is no other lake in the world quite like Titicaca, not even in Tibet. Tibet is too far north and the plateau too cold to support the kind of intensive terraced agriculture possible on Lake Titicaca. For the most part Tibet’s pre-modern lifeway was nomadic pastoralism: raising livestock like sheep, cattle, goats, horses, and yaks. In Tibet there is limited farming of barley, wheat, buckwheat, and rye in some of the lower-altitude valleys, but nothing like the intensive agriculture that occurred in the Lake Titicaca basin – see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Tibet and http://www.case.edu/affil/tibet/documents/TheWorldofTibetanNomadsSept14.pdf :

Untitled.jpg

Lake Titicaca is thought to be the area where the potato, the tomato, the common pepper, and lima beans were first domesticated – see http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/south-america/peru/arequipa-and-lake-titicaca/lake-titicaca/ and http://www.fao.org/potato-2008/en/potato/origins.html . Furthermore, native Indians in the Andes have continued growing at least 30 additional domesticated vegetables and fruits that are relatively unknown to the wider world: tubers like achira, ahipa, arracacha, maca, mashua, mauka, oca, ulluco, and yacon; grains like kaniwa, kiwicha, and quionoa; legumes like basul, nunas, and tarwi; various kinds of peppers and squash; fruits like capuli cherries, cherimoya, goldenberry, highland papayas, lucuma, naranjilla, pacay, passionfruits, pepino, and tamarillo; and various kinds of nuts. See Lost Crops of the Incas, at http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1398&page=1 , http://www.nap.edu/catalog/1398/lost-crops-of-the-incas-little-known-plants-of-the , and http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1398&page=401. There is no equivalent history of crop domestication in Tibet.

In short, Lake Titicaca is a natural wonder as well as a historical treasure, and utterly unique. It is packed with Andean ruins, and huge RAMSAR marshes fed by long, flat rivers to explore, where a hydro-jet RIB would be in its own element, and would have spectacular vistas of a nearby mountain range called the "Cordillera Reale":

intiqahotel3.jpg 1400-hero-lake-titicaca-boat.imgcache.rev1409091853527.web.jpg Untitled-1 2.jpg

The above visual "jokes" of the TerraLiner's hydro-jet RIB whizzing by some ancient Titicaca reed-boats are all in good fun. Sure, I deliberately tried to push some politically incorrect buttons with these photo-collages. But personally speaking, I detest boaters who race through narrow waterways at top speed, whether it’s canals in Venice or South Florida, or riverine passageways through marshes. High-speed boating does tremendous damage to the fragile banks of lakes and rivers, and in South Florida and Venice the speed-limits along the canals are strict. Many residential communities with houses on canals in South Florida have completely banned Jetskis, because their drivers tend to be irresponsible young males under age 25, who will race through canals creating enormous wakes and terrific noise.

On the other hand, it's worth observing that Lake Titicaca already has many such ancient/modern contrasts. For instance, hydrofoils have been running across the lake for decades, and most of the Indians living on the lake now use outboard motors to power their boats.

For the TerraLiner, there would also be kayaking and sailing with a Weta trimaran, a trimaran that one can collapse to a relatively compact size. Both kayaking and small-boat sailing are activities that are wonderful to do on lakes, and kayaking is also a riverine activity. Oddly enough, although the ancient Incas sailed Lake Titicaca for millennia in boats made out of reeds, there do not seem to be too many modern sailboats on the lake -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_boat , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsa_(ship) , and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totora_(plant) . La Paz is a city of millions (metro area) just a few hours away, so it's a bit surprising that a marina to accommodate sailboats has not yet been built on the lake -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Paz . Sure, Bolivia is a poor country, but such countries always have elites with some money, of the kind that could afford sailboats. The following are the only two videos that I could find of pleasure-boat sailing on Lake Titicaca:

[video=vimeo;125009019]https://vimeo.com/125009019 [/video] .. [video=youtube;SEVAoZsJXWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEVAoZsJXWs [/video]

These videos are wonderful, because they capture “viscerally” what it’s like to experience Lake Titicaca as a body of water. The second-to-last video demonstrates that there is at least one modern sailboat cruising Lake Titicaca. But granted, average windspeeds on Lake Titicaca are not impressive. Even at 80 m altitude, and even during the winter and spring, windspeeds average 5- 6 m/s or 11 – 13 mph on the Peruvian side of the lake. During the summer the windspeed is slower, in the 4 – 5 m/s range.

Notice in the first video (skip ahead 4 minutes in) that the guy does quite a bit of rowing, even though the climate is cold and often raining. Because of this, one might surmise that it’s winter on the lake. However, I strongly suspect that this couple decided to explore the lake during the summer, i.e. November through March. As noted above, on lake Titicaca the rainy season happens during the summer, not the winter. So sailing on Lake Titicaca would actually be best done during the winter and spring, from June through November, when the lake is both sunnier and there’s more wind. On the positive side, the lack of strong wind on Lake Titicaca means that the TerraLiner would probably be able to keep its side pergola awnings open the whole time, taking advantage of Lake Titicaca's phenomenal DNI -- see http://solargis.info/doc/free-solar-radiation-maps-DNI :

Untitled-1.jpg

Note the scales on these maps: the scale tops out at 3000 (Peru), and at 3600 (Bolivia). So dark red on these maps means something fundamentally different than dark red on other maps in this series. For better or worse the map-makers did not use the same color scale on all maps. So even if Lake Titicaca is surrounded by orange on the Bolivian map, that corresponds to 2800 kWh/m[SUP]2 [/SUP]. As we already saw in post #2328 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=2008589#post2008589 , the scale on the map for Europe only goes as high as 2400, and the scale on the map for Ecuador only goes as high as 1800. So 2800 - 3000 kWh/m[SUP]2 [/SUP]which seems the norm on the shores surrounding Lake Titicaca is quite literally off the charts. There is no DNI in Europe even remotely like this, not even in Spain. This is some of the highest DNI in the world. Only further south in the basin, towards southwestern Bolivia, does DNI get even more extreme, topping 3600 Wh/m[SUP]2[/SUP]. So on Lake Titicaca, too, it's very possible that the TerraLiner will be able to operate all camper systems on solar alone when boondocking. A/C won't be needed, only heat at night.

At first I thought that summer would be the best time to visit Lake Titicaca, because presumably that’s when the sun will be strongest. Titicaca is below the equator, so the height of summer is January/February. But once one realizes that summer is the rainy season, fall, winter, or spring seem like the better seasons to glamp on the lake.

But it’s much colder on Lake Titicaca in the winter, right?

Well, cold here is all relative. Lake Titicaca is well north of the Tropic of Capricorn, about as near to the Equator as Honduras, Senegal, Thailand, and Vietnam. Lake Titicaca lies at 12,500 feet above sea level, to be sure, but as near as I can tell, this means that it has a climate akin to what Europeans and North Americans might consider early spring or late fall. Just all year round, like Hacienda Zuleta.

During the winter months the temperature on the lake does dip, from summer monthly averages of 10.7 degrees Celsius during November, January, and February (51 degrees Fahrenheit), to 6.2 C for June, 5.7 C for July, and 7.4 C for August (42 – 45 degrees Fahrenheit) -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Titicaca . But monthly average temperatures do not truly capture how we experience climate. For instance, it’s always much colder at night, especially on a semiarid, high-altitude plateau like the Altiplano. Even during the winter, afternoons on Lake Titicaca are said to be warm, and there is not much difference between the average highs during the summer and the winter on the lake. If anything, the peak months for high temperatures are October and November – after the winter, but before the summer rainy season. The big difference between summer and winter is their average lows: during the winter temperatures can drop well below freezing. Whereas from October to April the lowest temperatures seems to be always above freezing. Furthermore, because of the moderating effect of the lake, the immediately surrounding coastline is likely to experience many more months free of frost and drought than the rest of the Basin. Lake Titicaca is such a deep lake that it acts like a huge heat sink, creating a local microclimate that is much more conducive to intensive agriculture.

Here it’s also worth noting just how little the average temperature on the lake changes, in comparison to the surrounding mountains, or the Peruvian coast. The following is a YouTube video that shows a one-year cycle in Peru for both rainfall and temperature:

So my best guess is that the ideal time for the TerraLiner to visit Lake Titicaca would be September through December. The heavy rainfall of January and February will not have arrived yet, so the TerraLiner’s solar arrays will not be contending with much cloud cover. Nights will be less cold, and frosts rare. And there will still be plenty of wind on the lake, if one hopes to do some sailing.

I discussed Lake Titicaca in some degree of depth, because I wanted to demonstrate just how much fun a "surf glamper" like the TerraLiner could have on such a lake. I've actually written much more about Lake Titicaca, and downloaded hundreds of images. Perhaps once we get a multi-thread TerraLiner "subcategory" going, as recommended by Libransser, I will post at length about the lake, with lots of images.

The resort town of Copacabana, for instance, seems very beautiful, and during the winter the distance across the lake is so large that the sun appears to set on the water, as if the lake were an ocean. The Cordillera Reale (the "Royal" Mountain Range) is truly spectacular, especially as seen from the southeast corner of the north basin, and the eastern shore of the south basin. The Isla del Sol is stupdenously beautiful (at least in photographs), and the whole lake seems to be circled by excellent, paved roads. La Paz is only a few hours away, so if the TerraLiner were to glamp on the southeastern shore of the north basin, the owners could catch some Opera in Bolivia's capital with the TOAD. Last but not least, even though Titicaca does not seem to have very many contemporary sailboats, it is still very much a "boating lake", packed with motor-boats of all kinds, from modern hydrofoils to old steamers, large cruise-ship-like catamarans to much smaller sight-seeing vessels. Small ports and docks where the TerraLiner's hydro-jet RIB could refuel seem abundant.

One could also imagine the TerraLiner wanting to explore the Great Lakes region of Africa, from the safety and peace of countries like Zambia, Tanzania, and Mozambique. And as already discussed in the thread, the Tibetan plateau is packed with very large lakes to explore. But simultaneously, needless to say, the Tibetan plateau is very mountainous. So if instead one imagines the TerraLiner as more of a "Water Glamper", the requirement to handle mountain roads becomes paramount.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

3. So why did I define the TerraLiner as a Surf-Glamper?

I labelled the TerraLiner a "surf-glamper" mainly to concentrate minds on the hippie-free-spirit, surf-bum "aesthetic" that I want the TerraLiner to convey. I wanted to strongly resist those who were suggesting that the TerraLiner's exterior should look unwelcoming and threatening, or that it should have small windows, or that it should look positively ugly. Defining the TerraLiner as a "surf-glamper" or "beach house" was a not-so-subtle way of saying that design for aggression towards outsiders -- even just visual aggression in the form of a boxy rectilinear truck that looks military -- is simply not on the cards. I can't design that for ethical reasons, because I am a committed pacifist and Buddhist. I also don't want to design that because I am committed to beauty, and rectilinear-military styling usually looks ugly.

As it turns out I was right to stick to my guns and refuse to design for aggression, because "Batesian aggressive mimicry" either does not convince (FPB boats), or it backfires, and invites aggression. It provides too much information. Whereas designing the TerraLiner to resemble a long-haul 3-axle freight truck pulling a drawbar trailer, with Vavilovian mimicry in mind -- mimicry that sends a "null" signal, that provides no information -- will also allow designing for beauty. Some of the latest COE truck designs are very beautiful. So think of the expression "surf glamper" as (in part) a rhetorical strategy whose purpose was to express strong resistance towards those on the thread who were calling for an aggressive exterior appearance, or an ugly exterior appearance. It was nice shorthand for saying,

"No way am I ever going to design a TerrraLiner that looks like an ugly boxy garbage truck, or a threatening troop carrier. No way am I going to design for "ugly camping", or Kombat Kamping."

My original reasons were ethical and artistic, but we can now add psychological as well: these are not the smartest ways to design for TerraLiner security. Vavilovian mimicry is.

With that said, the TerraLiner will of course carry lots of water toys. But perhaps the TerraLiner should be imagined more broadly as a "water glamper", in addition to a "surf camper". And if truth be told, I also do like mountains, up to a point. When stuck in mountains for more than 6 months, I begin to miss sunrises and sunsets. But apart from that, I would be very happy glamping for 5 months at a highland farm and riding center like Hacienda Zuleta. There would be lots to do, because it has so many horses, is situated close to Quito, the capital of Ecuador, and is located in such beautiful countryside dotted with large volcanoes to climb, etc.

safas, note that I finally finished the posting series that runs from #2323 to #2330, which was written in response to one of your posts -- see http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=2008584#post2008584 and following. The series is packed with images and videos of Hacienda Zuleta. Sorry that it took so long to finish, but the really fruitful rapid-fire exchange with Haf-E on the previous page intervened....:sombrero: ...All of the questions directly addressed to you, safas, are in the first post, #2323, and at the very end of the last post, #2330. So you could ignore the rest of the posting series if it does not interest you.

Once more, in anticipation of your response, thanks so much for all your help!!

4. A Bit More about Horse-Farms, Riding Centers, and Equestrian Sports

That previous posting series also took so long because I wanted to visually establish a context for the numbers that we are discussing. It will be farms and ranches like Hacienda Zuleta where the TerraLiner will want to test whether it can camp comfortably for many months using solar panels alone. The area immediately surrounding Quito, which includes Hacienda Zuleta, has excellent high-alititude DNI. And if not, the TerraLiner would see how effectively the large generator works charging the large battery pack at high altitude. So visually illustrating what I have in mind via a farm as beautiful as Hacienda Zuleta seemed important. It also helps that Hacienda Zuleta is located in an equatorial country that is border-line Third-World, demonstrating that what I have in mind will definitely be possible outside the First World.

I know quite a bit about farms, eco-tourism, eco-lodges, agriturismi, riding centers, and horse-farms. So it occurred to me that I can "picture" possibilities that perhaps others cannot. When many people think about farms, they may only imagine a small plot of land where a farmer just grows some vegetables. But there exists a wide variety of different types of farms, from huge Australian ranches in the outback the size of small countries; to olive groves in Greece, Italy, and Spain; to dairy farms in lush country that have only cows who eat grass; to enormous flat farms in the American mid-west that cultivate wheat; to orchards filled with fruit trees; to sheep stations in mountainous country that only raise sheep; to horse-farms that are often simultaneously riding centers. The range is huge, and the last kind of farm in particular -- the horse farm that also serves as a riding center -- is very habituated to hosting trailers and motorhomes on its land.

So it occurred to me that perhaps "glamping farmland" does not seem like a real possibility to some thread participants simply because they do not know many farmers or ranchers, or have never been to horse competitions, horse shows, or rodeos -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrianism , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dressage , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_dressage , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_jumping , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventing , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_riding , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_show , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_(horse) , and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodeo :

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

5. Where Horse-Boxes Glamp

As caught by a quadcopter in one of the videos above, off in the trees at any riding center there will be always be horse-trailers and horse-boxes:

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

And here are some more detailed images to suggest what the "RV" side of Riding Centers looks like. Notice how there are no prepared pitches, just grass, and apparently no hookups of any kind. But RV's are still welcome. Many of the best images were only available as "stock" photos via Alamy and others, so my apologies for the writing on top of some of them. I am posting them here merely for illustrative purposes, in order to demonstrate that RV parks with prepared pitches are not the only kinds of rural properties that are happy to accommodate very large motorhomes:

4858309-601x400.jpg Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

1742771_8d0188b9.jpg 4858313.jpg 452924678.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg Custom-Horseboxes.jpg Untitled-2 .jpg
horseboxes-jul09.jpg b114eab750aa5b3b_800x800ar.jpg UK - Aston le Walls 007.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg

6. British Horseboxes

For a bit more about horse-boxes, recall that even though Britain does not seem to have much of a general-market motorhome industry – or at least not compared to Germany – Britain has many specialized makers of “luxury” Horseboxes. See for instance Oakley, Empire, Quigly, Lehel/Alexander, Sovereign, Prestige, and Equicruiser: http://www.oakleyhorseboxes.co.uk/default.asp , http://www.oakleyhorseboxes.co.uk/supremacy.asp , and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pss-500-000-horse-box-thats-fit-princess.html ; http://empirecoachbuilders.com , http://empirecoachbuilders.com/empire-range/ultimate/ , and http://empirecoachbuilders.com/gallery/ ; http://www.quigleyhorseboxes.com and http://www.quigleyhorseboxes.com/horsebox-image-gallery/2005-5-horse-for-sale ; http://www.lehelhorseboxes.co.uk , http://www.lehelhorseboxes.co.uk/index.php/26t , http://www.lehelhorseboxes.co.uk/index.php/heritage , and http://alexandersgroup.tv ; http://www.sovereignhorseboxes.com , http://www.sovereignhorseboxes.com/index.php/sovereign-range , and http://www.sovereignhorseboxes.com/index.php/gallery ; http://www.prestigehorsebox.com , http://www.prestigehorsebox.com/newsite/ , http://www.prestigehorsebox.com/newsite/horse-boxes/ , http://www.prestigehorsebox.com/newsite/gallery/ , and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCofsJfWwUBmHWS26oIlZmSg ; http://www.equicruiser.co.uk/home.htm , http://www.equicruiser.co.uk/bespoke-design.htm , and http://www.equicruiser.co.uk/living-area.htm ; and https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKgFduuE0UfvV2IUqsPjiDtx_2XcM-O_b :

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

[video=dailymotion;x234i1f]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x234i1f_empire-coachbuilders_lifestyle[/video]..........................................

For some good surveys of British luxury horse-box brands, see http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/luxury-horseboxes/ , http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/6-luxurious-lorries-wed-like-live-458499 , and http://www.stylereins.com/style/3-luxurious-horseboxes-equestrian-rockstar/ .

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

7. The "Helios" tear-drop horse-box from Alexander Parker

From an exterior stylistic point of view, one of the more interesting British manufacturers is Alexander Parker, with its "Helios" model horse-box -- see http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk , http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/horseboxes/helios/ , http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/brochure/ , http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.../KPH-12page-Digital-Brochure-LS-V8-Prices.pdf , http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/helios-aerodynamic-design/ , http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/horseboxes-and-design/ , http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/deluxe-hgv-helios-horsebox/ , http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/kevin-parker-horseboxes-focus-on-innovation/ , http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/KPH-18page-Digital-Brochure1.pdf , and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVhWCq4L4rygit9tfzClO_g . Although these are basically American Class-B style conversions, they have a very subtle tear-drop shape up top, and seem to combine teardrop with a certain degree of rectinlinearity. I don't think I've yet seen teardrop aerodynamics applied to a motorhome, except of course to very small teardrop trailers, and the Mauck2 Sprinter conversion that I use as my icon. I've certainly never seen this kind of tear-drop shape in a motorhome this size. Except, of course, that it's a horse-box.

On the website, camera angles and lenses tend to exaggerate the curvature of the roof:

Compact-Helios-horsebox-.jpg Felix-horsebox.jpg 23-Helios-horsebox.jpg
ob.jpg 296177cd3780e743f5d6f74031189b6f.jpg Helios-big-picture.jpg

Helios-in-grey-metallic-copy-740x493.jpg Compact Helios in metallic paint_1430219945041.jpg.jpg Helios-ladies-2-horse-horsebox-for-sale1.jpg
HGV-Helios.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

But more "independent" photographs available on the web taken directly from the side show that the teardrop and curved roof are still there, but the curvature is very subtle:

c7476457a7e3554c616a25b177812e8c.jpg 337a039a6201a37df8602ad543e345e2.jpg o.jpg
5185073699_5668dbf062.jpg Curved-Helios-horsebox-roof-system.jpg ad640a60bb868d619069b0db66833e8e.jpg
image.jpg

As suggested earlier in the thread, the TerraLiner may want to explore a slightly tear-drop shape to improve the drag-coefficient. The original inspiration was MAN's "Concept S" truck/trailer system concept system, and Don-Bur's line of commercially available tear-drop trailers -- see posts #2336 and #2337 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain?p=2009195#post2009195 . So it's wonderful to find a motorhome application of the same concept, just a few days after posting about Don-Bur. Clearly, tear-drop does not need to be extreme in order to improve aerodynamic efficiency, and hence, fuel savings. Unfortunately, there is no information available on-line about the drag coefficient of the Helios, although highway fuel efficiency is claimed to be 23 mpg, which seems very good for a motorhome of this size -- see http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/helios-aerodynamic-design/ .

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

Here are some videos of the Helios:

[video=youtube;yksEUfVsoVk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yksEUfVsoVk [/video]

As the last video suggests, Keven Parker also seems interested in developing hybrid Horse-boxes. This is probably the very first time that I've seen anything that looks even remotely like a motorhome, that is also a hybrid -- see http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/horseboxes/aeos/, http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/aeos-weights-and-licence-requirements/ , https://www.facebook.com/www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.co.uk/videos/1102441686456325/ , and http://www.kevinparkerhorseboxesltd.../KPH-12page-Digital-Brochure-LS-V8-Prices.pdf . There is no further information on the website or on the web as to what kind of hybrid this vehicle is. Perhaps eventually more information will appear?

8. The Mauck2/Evergreen tear-drop Sprinter van conversion

The only other currently produced, reasonably large motorhome (van-size and up) that I am familiar with that makes a serious attempt at tear-drop aerodynamics, is the Mauck2/Evergreen Imperial, which has always served as my ExPo icon -- see http://www.mauck2.com , http://www.mauck2.com/dimensions.html , http://www.goevergreenrv.com/page/390/245TS , http://vogeltalksrving.com/2014/12/e...s-b-motorhome/ :

Imperial_020415a.jpg 1_2321_1802528_38063815b.jpg;maxwidth=1024;maxheight=1024;mode=crop.jpg.jpg
Imperial_020415d.jpg 1_2321_1802528_38063815.jpg;maxwidth=1024;maxheight=1024;mode=crop.jpg.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

c70a438010f54d5b51fbac251f3e846a.jpg DSCF0807-1024x531.jpg 1.jpg
1_2321_1802528_38063815.jpg;maxwidth=1024;maxheight=1024;mode=crop.jpg EGreen-Imperial-1.jpg a61884d6c484c3c8c8c6cf73cda2ce04.jpg
3500_Kitchen_Platinum_slideshow.jpg 3500_f2b_platinum.jpg
Imperial_3500_cab_platinum.jpg Imperial_3500_b2f_platinum.jpg

[video=youtube;_4-0DkzbHbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-0DkzbHbU [/video] [video=youtube;Vhm9yqXhkIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhm9yqXhkIs [/video]

It is from more curvilinear contemporary vehicles such as these that I take design-inspiration. Otherwise, one has to look way back, before the 1970's, to find anything similar in buses, trucks, or cars. Tthe central guiding design concept for the TerraLiner's exterior will be "Vavilovian" mimicry, mimicry of the standard typology of the three-axle truck + drawbar trailer. But as already stated in discussion of the MAN Concept S and Don-Bur tear-drop freight trailers, there are good aerodynamic reasons for wanting to introduce sone degree of tear-drop shaping into the TerraLiner exterior, just as long as Vavilovian mimicry is not compromised. The above two vehicles might serve as starting points for design inspiration, two exemplars of how it has been done. As the Helios demonstrates, the roof curvature can be very subtle, and yet still yield aerodynamic benefits.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

8. The TerraLiner's Camper Body, Drop-Down Decks, Pergola Awnings, and Pop-Up: all built by Ketterer-Schuler?

The only European fabricator of horse-boxes that I familiar with is Ketterer -- see http://www.ketterer-trucks.de , http://www.ketterer-trucks.de/modelle/kategorie/c/reiten.html , http://www.ketterer-trucks.de/modelle/kategorie/c/reiten/model/professional-double-pop-out.html , and http://www.ketterer-trucks.de/news/referenzen.html . But Ketterer now seems to have merged with Schuler, a German manufacturer of exhibition trailers, as well as trailers for motorsport:

[video=youtube;bsXCqWrdUxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsXCqWrdUxQ [/video]

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

Looking a bit into Ketterer and its sister-comapny Shuler, I just came across a rather extraordinary image of the Schuler "Ultimate Equestrian", which seems to be a Schuler exhibition trailer re-purposed to be used as a horse trailer. What was drop-down exhibition space, has now become horse-stables -- see http://www.schuler-trucks.com/en/models/category/c/equestrian-1/model/equestrian-test.html , https://www.facebook.com/Ultimate-Equestrian-by-Schuler-952048268191898/timeline/ , https://www.facebook.com/9520482681...41828.952048268191898/991494357580622/?type=3 , http://www.schuler-trucks.com/en/models/category/c/race.html , http://www.schuler-trucks.com/en/models/category/c/hospitality-1.html , http://www.schuler-trucks.com/en/models/category/c/promotion-1.html , and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC24qfd6ZVQRNf2jw9p0MyQw .

First, here are some of Schuler's exhibition trailers:

Uebersicht420_Hospi_01.jpg Schuler_Promotion_Trailer_Hugo_Boss_1_04_5deb24d562.jpg Schuler_Promotion_Trailer_Hugo_Boss_2_04_5660ee7ab8.jpg
Schuler_Promotion_Trailer_Hugo_Boss_6_01_d3bdd94759.jpg Schuler_Promotion_Trailer_Hugo_Boss_8_01_343032a3ae.jpg Schuler_Promotion_Trailer_Hugo_Boss_7_01_bc41ff1d0f.jpg
P1020279_04_b665059eea.jpg Schuler_Motorhome_1_04_96f88c7540.jpg Schuler_promotion_truck_01_cbeb4af037.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

And here is Schuler's "Ultimate Equestrian" trailer:

12039582_991494357580622_1521248645399601979_n.jpg 11214059_991494217580636_6096698763111011494_n.jpg 11224515_991494384247286_4716095133691799868_n.jpg
12020047_991494267580631_3509209968279239344_n.jpg 12039433_991494340913957_3218216720098307280_n.jpg
11221634_991494184247306_8256606452129517649_n.jpg 12004890_991494134247311_117468449705542997_n.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

I thought that Ketterer had probably gone out of business, because its website did not work for a while. But apparently not. Combined with Schuler, it now has competence not just in slide-out motorhomes, horse boxes, and trailers to be towed behind horse-boxes; it also has competence in pop-ups and drop-down decks. For the pop-ups, see http://www.schuler-trucks.com/en/models/category/c/race/model/race-skyrise-1.html , http://www.schuler-trucks.com/en/models/category/c/race/model/race-skyrise-sp-1.html , and http://www.schuler-trucks.com/en/models/category/c/race/model/race-skyrise-dp-1.html .

That image of open drop-down decks serving as horse stables is certainly very evocative:

12039582_991494357580622_1521248645399601979_n.jpg

However, in the case of the TerraLiner nothing even remotely as substantial would be required, because the drop-down decks will be just decks, with awning pergolas above that have solar cells. In the past I assumed it would be impossible to find a single premium-luxury motorhome fabricator who could handle the whole camper box. Even Newell only has experience with slide-outs. So if working with Newell, for the drop-down decks one would have source mechanical and manufacturing expertise elsewhere. There's a company called Craftsmen Industries located in St. Louis, Missouri, not too far away from Newell, that has plenty of experience with drop-down decks and complicated exhibition trailers -- see posts #1151 to #1153 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...s-A-Crossover-w-6x6-Hybrid-Drivetrain/page116 . But given that Schuler-Ketterer combined now have the full range of expertise necessary, and both companies seem very open to design and engineering experiment....:sombrero:

9. Continental-European Horse-Box Fabricators

Here are some videos of other continental-European horse-box fabricators. But at present I know nothing about these other European companies:

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

10. Is 1300 HP enough Regenerative Braking Power for a 32 ton rig descending a long, steep incline?

Now I agree with you, safas, that 1300 HP may not be a lot if one wants to do serious regen braking with a 32 tong rig....:sombrero: And yes, it would be great is someone could calculate the energy generated by a long downhill descent, and to what extent 1300 HP would or would not be enough. I don't know how to do the calculation, but perhaps Haf-E or Iain could?

As suggested above, the TerraLiner will probably do a great deal of mountain driving, because that's where the really beautiful lakes are. "Drive past" country for the TerraLiner will only be boring interior flatland, and that's about it. The TerraLiner will want to explore just about everywhere else, including mountains, and especially Tibet and the Altiplano in Bolivia. But agreed, the TerraLiner will not travel to the extent that the TOAD will travel. The TOAD will probably rack up many more miles exploring the surrounding countryside than the TerraLiner will, as it moves from from campsite A on farmer's land, to campsite B on farmer's land.

On the other hand, what will mileage mean for a generator that is used both to recharge the battery pack while driving, as well as when glamping? The other components in the system clearly won't see as much wear-and-tear as would be the case in a typical expedition motorhome, and that's probably a good thing. But the 300 KW generator will be used very frequently, and so too the batteries will go through lots of charging cycles, even when the TerraLiner is stationary.

The figures for time spent camping in just one spot will be larger than the ones you quoted, safas: more like 2 - 6 months, instead of 2- 4 weeks....:) ...Remember, the TerraLiner is being conceived, in part, as a mobile house. And retired people really do stay for months in just one spot, not merely weeks -- see https://wandrlymagazine.com/article/eco-friendly-rv/ and https://wandrlymagazine.com/cheaper-on-the-road/ . These articles break things down into at least three distinctly different kinds of motorhoming; no doubt there are many more. And it's nice that they are non-judgmental about the different kinds. They do not insist that any particular kind of motorhomingn is "correct" or "right". They understand that motorhoming really does need to be different for retired couples who full-time.

11. The Question of Fuel, and Glamping in Very Remote Spots

As for having the farmer fetch fuel: yes, very much a possibility, and he would probably get a better price!

But I still want the TerraLiner to have at least a "90 day boondocking capability" in most climates, because in some places the TerraLiner might be able to glamp on public land, too; in nature reserves or national parks. Or on stretches of completely deserted coastline, like the skeleton coast in Namibia. In Namibia the empty coastline is typically owned by ranches or mining companies whose center of operations are very distant. So they would not be able to provide much help as regards fuel. Security? The far-flung beaches of Namibia are so arid, so remote, and so uninhabitable (except by a vehicle such as the TerraLiner), that security probably won't be an issue. Different countries and different places within those countries present different levels of security threat. So in the case of Namibia, for instance, most of the population lives inland where there is some rainfall. Whereas the hyper-arid coast is largely deserted, and most of the coast is now national park. Only a few cities dot the shore, which serve as points of access to the the interior of the country.

Or consider Tibet. China in general is a safe place to travel, and no doubt Tibet all the more so, because it's so empty. I'd want the TerraLiner to be able to camp on Lake Manasarovar for at least 2 months, and possibly for as long as 4 months -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Manasarovar , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kailash , and post #21 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...BEST-High-Altitude-Solution-for-Heating/page3 . This would definitely be a safe place to "free camp", and the lake would provide plenty of freshwater, although it would have to be diligently filtered. There would also be lots to do, for instance, a religious circumambulation of Mt. Kailash, as well as kayaking and sailing on the lake:

[video=youtube;qbcbTK1wWos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbcbTK1wWos [/video] [video=youtube;3khqOrL0tAk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khqOrL0tAk [/video]

And perhaps even waterskiing the lake, with the hydro-jet RIB as tow-boat...:sombrero::

parikrama.jpg Mansarovar_map.jpg
MtKailashNight2.jpg Kailash-Mountain.jpg gangrenboqifeng(1).jpg
2.MANSAROVAR-WITH-KAILASH.jpg Mt_Kailash_sat.jpg Untitled-1.jpg

I created these images of Williams Dieseljets cruising some lakes at high altitude for fun, and to provoke thought. I mean, why not? Why shouldn’t one plan for the TerraLiner’s hydro-jet RIB to function perfectly well at extreme altitudes? Especially given that the standard diesel engine of choice used by Williams is a turbocharged Yanmar (Wiliams is the market-leader for inboard-mounted, hydro-jet driven RIBs). So theoretically a Williams Dieseljet fitted with a large tubocharged Yanmar (260 HP? 350 HP?) could function reasonably well on Lake Titacaca, at 12,507 feet above sea level, or 3,812 m – see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Titicaca . Or on lakes high up on the Tibetan plateau, like lake Manasarovar near Mount Kailash, 15,060 feet above sea level, or 4,590 m – see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Manasarovar . From things I've read on-line, I gather that because Yanmar diesel engines are turbocharged, at most they would lose about 50 HP because of altitude.

Note that Mount Kailash looms over the lake because even though it’s quite distant, it’s 6,638 m high, or 21,776 feet. In other words, Mount Kailash is 6,700 feet higher than the lake – see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kailash . For more about Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarovar, see post #21 at http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...BEST-High-Altitude-Solution-for-Heating/page3 .

Of course this image of waterskiing Lake Manasarovar with Mt. Kailash in the background was deliberately tongue-in-cheek, if only because to waterski this lake one would need a wetsuit, even in summer…..:sombrero:

Still, it’s worth noting that an even larger body of freshwater exists in Tibet, with an even higher altitude than Manasarovar: a lake called “Angpa Tso” – see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Manasarovar , https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/33°24'00.0"N+90°17'00.0"E/@32.0348794,86.5747153,1136057m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0 , and https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/33°24'00.0"N+90°17'00.0"E/@33.4,90.2833333,32636m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0 . Angpa Tso is 495 km[SUP]2[/SUP], and 4,941 metres (16,211 ft) above sea level, whereas Manasarovar is just 410 km[SUP]2[/SUP], or 160 sq mi in size. Angpa Tso seems like it might be somewhat accessible, because it’s located just west of the main north-south highway in Tibet, the G-109:

Untitled2.jpg Untitled.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

biotect

Designer

But Angpa Tso seem like a rather barren, non-descript sort of place. On Panoramio there is exactly one image posted, no more. There are a few interesting places nearby, for instance, a cluster of low-lying mountains where a glacier can be found, one of the sources of the Yangtze river:

15979137.jpg

But the lake itself seems non-scenic, completely different from Manasarovar, which has Kailash and other mountains serving as backdrop. Manasarovar also has a “human interest” dimension, because it’s is buzzing with activity during the summer months, when Indian pilgrims come up to circumambulate the mountain, considered sacred by Hindus and thought to be the home of Shiva.

12. The largest lake in the world above 5000 m: Pumoyong Tso

However, before we settle on Lake Manasarovar as our high-altitude target, it’s worth noting that the largest freshwater lake in the world whose altitude is above 5000 meters, is Pumoyong Tso, also in Tibet.

Pumoyong Tso is 290 km[SUP]2[/SUP] in size, or about 2/3 as large as Lake Manasarovar, and Pumoyong Tso sits 5,018 metres (16,463 ft) above sea level, or about 1,400 feet higher than Lake Manasarovar – see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Manasarovar and https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/28°34'00.0"N+90°24'00.0"E/@28.5666667,90.4,549328m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0 :

45395051.jpg 99215595.jpg 43148634.jpg
101721360.jpg 63007626.jpg 43147851.jpg
43147912.jpg 101715817.jpg Untitled4.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal