Tesla Cybertruck: The Future?

Sneaks

I can't wait to see the mileage while towing.

Very good point, especially in the mountains.

My neighbor has the only EV (or that know of) in our county, Tesla Model S. He will drive his Maserati when it gets cold before he heads south for the winter. To prefer potentially breaking down just pulling out of the driveway than drive his Tesla says a lot to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T-Willy

Well, I ordered the top of the line version if they can deliver in the next few years, lol. I can already see getting a pop up hard side camber shell built for this thing. I can also see a lot of advantages and efficiencies to tapping into the main vehicle battery through the 120/220v accessory ports.

What do you all think?

Well, it's the future - it's fantastic, refreshing, good-old-American innovation. Straightforward and different -- they reimagined and electrified the truck. And it's hilarious how badly this pisses some people off. That much metal, muscle, payload, speed and electro-trolling power for $39K is ridiculous.

For remote touring though...

It'll be interesting to see how quickly power solutions for remote touring emerge. Baja is my acid test -- could I take a forthcoming electric truck with a 500 (400 realistic) mile range to Baja and not get stranded?

I took at look at that question tonight. To my surprise, the answer seems to be probably yes.

With careful planning and charging stations already in place, it looks you could make it to Cabo and back--adding in dirt jaunts out to remote beaches along the way--using charging stations on Hwy 1 as nodes to leave from and return to.

The problem would be charge times. There are several "destination" and other branded stations but no "supercharger" stations that charge quickly. So, while one could probably stitch together a trip to Cabo and back, the charge times would be too much for most, including me.

Still, I was surprised to see the infrastructure in place upon taking the time to actually look for it. I was surprised to see that, with enough patience and range, it's probably doable now.

djfriimixx

Just more stock pumping excrement from the excremaster.

Take a minute to visualize what the visibility is from behind those long A-pillars or what the rear seating position is with that roof line or how much fun it will be to retrieve items from the front of the bed.

This isn't a truck it's a money stunt from an established grifter whose adoring victims refuse to break faith.

We have to also look at what actually would happen, econimically - for example if you look at hydrogen fuel cell vehicles they sound brilliant until you realize that while hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, we humans manufacture it by burning fossil fuels because that's the most cost-effective way to get it, isolated, in volume. So that's not really solving any problem now is it?

So if you consider all the intersection towns around America.. you know, the ones where a snowstorm knocks out power to all 80 people who live there at least twice a year - nobody's putting in 150kW grid tied charging stations there and nobody's mowing down 100 acres of canola to put in a solar array. They're going to plop a shipping container with a diesel engine in it. You know this to be true. So what problem did the electric car solve exactly? Outsourced its pollution to small towns (with added noise pollution too!) while the occupant of the car sniffs their own tailpipe emissions thinking they're saving the world through conspicuous consumption?

As for towing MPG we can sort of calculate it.. like those clowns who run TFL run all sorts of trucks up a hill in Colorado and on diesel they get anywhere from 2.8mpg to 6.9mpg towing assorted loads with midsize to heavy duty pickups - for the sake of this conversation I'll go with the ecodiesel Ram 1500 which they report 9:03 minutes pulling 7850 lbs up their 8 mile course. If you've seen that segment you know a 9 minute time means the truck was pulling full out the whole duration, they were not able to maintain the speed limit. That's good for calculating because we can pretty much just take the engine's peak horsepower (240) and convert that to kW (179) and then figure out that 9 minutes at 179kW is 26kWh - or after acknowledging that a modern automatic transmission is around 95% efficient and an electric motor/controller is about 90% efficient... let's call that 28kWh to travel the 8 miles up the "Ike Gauntlet" with an equivalent GCW as a Ram 1500 + 7850lb box trailer.

That's all napkin math don't take it too seriously but I'm probably not too far off.

If we look at something like Phoenix to Flagstaff if we make the same generalizations as above but assume you're averaging 200 horsepower (150kW) for 2 hours, plus 5% to account for heat losses that's 315kWh if we're generous, and yeah there are some periods of regeneration available but there are also major grades going up and the net elevation gain is a mile. That's also assuming that the operator is "only" using the go-pedal to approximately equate to the Ram Ecodiesel we're using as the basis for our comparison here.. if you're Tommy Tough Guy in your Can't See Past Those Long A-Pillars "cyber" truck and you get stuck behind a slowpoke the first chance you get you're going to show him how Tommy Tough Guy does it and eat up 10kWh in 60 seconds. We'll send a diesel powered charging truck for you when you run out of electrons 20 miles South of Flagstaff.

For what it's worth I have nothing against electrification and I wish every car available for sale right now was available hybrid. My next car will be a hybrid about 3 months from now. I could live with a full electric city car but don't really see the point considering plug in hybrids accomplish the same objective (zero fossil fuel commuting/shopping trips) without any of the limitations and for about the same price.
TBF. Just because it won't work for you doesn't make it "********."
I don't even own a trailer nor do I have any interest in pulling one through the desert that's 2000 miles from here.

I will agree tho. Plug in hybrids are ideal. But no one is making a plug-in hybrid truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
I have never puked repeatedly so many times. I didn't know it was even possible.......though I did try pretty hard testing the limits of alcohol tolerance in my younger days.

T-Willy

Oh that exists now? Do you go pick it up at the hyperloop station or what?

Fake news. "Exists now" is your language, not mine. Nice try. The obvious context of this discussion and my post is "forthcoming" technology. You should try to keep that kind of stuff to yourself - it just pollutes the forum.

djfriimixx

I'll agree. Whatever personal grievance shovel has with telsa or Elon is irrelevant here. Unless that's normal here, then I'ma go thrash some ford fanboys

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

shade

Oh I thought that was any thread with "Tesla" in the title. Was that not the way to approach it?
Common practice suggests that's the way to do it, but I thought we might try something new.

Talking about the truck in truck threads, and Elon Musk in Elon Musk threads might be even more fun. Imagine the possibilities!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven