Tesla Cybertruck: The Future?

djfriimixx

Well then, I apologise for my ignorance. I didn't realize Tesla/musk are a common enemy. I'll leave y'all to it then

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Its a known fact that evil people never label themselves as such. If he went to the dark side, it would be GreatPopularPermanentPresident Musk. Though he may end up replacing himself with a renewable energy powered benevolent robotic overlord?

Just so its obvious I am not hating on musk, but its a fun thought experiment (though mystical and ridiculous).

luthj

Engineer In Residence
You know, I think there may be better branding for that particular authoritarian regime...

erstwild

Well, this thread went an interesting direction on the whole. I appreciate the frank comments on the obvious limits of electric vehicles (real world range considerations under load, heating/AC, cold weather, charging infrastructure limits, etc.) and discussions teasing apart these very real considerations. Obviously, electric vehicles with existing technology are nowhere near ready to be continent crushing expedition vehicles (for the handful of people who actually undertake those kind of trips with regularity), but they are clearly getting closer for some much heavier duty applications if things like the Cybertruck turn out to be feasible in the end.

However, let's drop the "Elon Musk is a criminal" insinuation from certain parties or I might as well delete the whole thread. Is the guy a complete angel? No, he has some ethical challenges like just about anyone with out-sized, capital intensive ambitions they are spending their lives chasing. Overpromising and underdelivering, making mistakes or having lapses in judgement on occasion, sure but for all warts that Musk and Tesla bring along, they are forcing incumbents to innovate and compete by shifting the goal posts even if they ultimately fail in the long-run.

I can remember certain comments from the chairman of a large domestic automaker that depends disproportionately on their pickup truck sales changing their tune from "no plans for electric pickup trucks" to "we definitely will have a hybrid option soon" to "we have both hybrid and pure electric under active development and we are investing hundreds of millions in Rivian too" in under 2 years. The even partial competitive role that the existence of Tesla is playing in that development is worth something.

As for me, I could easily see buying the top of the line model if they can deliver, do a simple, lightweight 500lb, full-time worthy camper build out, enjoy an electric vehicle that can climb in/out/around my rugged property, do some other local off pavement antics, cut the running costs compared to my F250 rig massively, and enjoy heating and A/C for up to a week before charging up while running the weekly errands. Some of us are cautiously/skeptically seeing some interesting new potential future possibilities.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Well, this thread went an interesting direction on the whole. I appreciate the frank comments on the obvious limits of electric vehicles (real world range considerations under load, heating/AC, cold weather, charging infrastructure limits, etc.) and discussions teasing apart these very real considerations. Obviously, electric vehicles with existing technology are nowhere near ready to be continent crushing expedition vehicles (for the handful of people who actually undertake those kind of trips with regularity), but they are clearly getting closer for some much heavier duty applications if things like the Cybertruck turn out to be feasible in the end.

However, let's drop of the "Elon Musk is a criminal" insinuation from certain parties or I might as well delete the whole thread. Is the guy a complete angel? No, he has some ethical challenges like just about anyone with out-sized, capital intensive ambitions they are spending their lives chasing. Overpromising and underdelivering, making mistakes or having lapses in judgement on occasion, sure but for all warts that Musk and Tesla bring along, they are forcing incumbents to innovate and compete by shifting the goal posts even if they ultimately fail in the long-run.

I can remember certain comments from the chairman of a large domestic automaker that depends disproportionately on their pickup truck sales changing their tune from "no plans for electric pickup trucks" to "we definitely will have a hybrid option soon" to "we have both hybrid and pure electric under active development and we are investing hundreds of millions in Rivian too" in under 2 years. The even partial competitive role that the existence of Tesla is playing in that development is worth something.

As for me, I could easily see buying the top of the line model if they can deliver, do a simple, lightweight 500lb, full-time worthy camper build out, enjoy an electric vehicle that can climb in/out/around my rugged property, do some other local off pavement antics, cut the running costs compared to my F250 rig massively, and enjoy heating and A/C for up to a week before charging up while running the weekly errands. Some of us are cautiously/skeptically seeing some interesting new potential future possibilities.

Just a clarification: No one on here have been against EVs in general. Some find them still a bit too limited in range, but that's about it.

dreadlocks

wonder what the range of that Tesla ATV is gonna be, and how much range it eats off the mothership to recharge it..

its obvious to most expo people that PEV's are a long ways off from being feasable, if ever.. but considering we are the minority for a moment and >90% of trucks sold seemingly dont every haul or carry crap, and just commute one dude to his office job.. my neighborhood is full of big white trucks with out even a scratch in the bed.. there are 2 or 3 owned by craftsmen and those look well loved, but the rest all coulda been something like a Tesla Truck and have more than enough range, while being able to flex on anyone after work on a friday evening and on occasion pickup some gardening supplies or haul off a bunch of yard debris... and hey now when they need to carry a big load of concrete bricks their lil F150 wont be grossly overloaded.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
wonder what the range of that Tesla ATV is gonna be,

A high efficiency ATV looks like it gets something like ~30mpg? So for 100 miles of range thats 3 gal of the go juice. Which is about 20% of the medium battery pack on the Tesla truck. I think the electric atvs will be a lot more efficient though, because they don't need to idle, and the small vs large engine inefficiencies don't apply to small electric motors.

I would guess the ATV would have a pack in the 3-5kwhr range. But there is room to go to 7-10kwhr if they really wanted to. I would say it would be 10% of the truck battery to charge the ATV.

shade

A high efficiency ATV looks like it gets something like ~30mpg? So for 100 miles of range thats 3 gal of the go juice. Which is about 20% of the medium battery pack on the Tesla truck. I think the electric atvs will be a lot more efficient though, because they don't need to idle, and the small vs large engine inefficiencies don't apply to small electric motors.

I would guess the ATV would have a pack in the 3-5kwhr range. But there is room to go to 7-10kwhr if they really wanted to. I would say it would be 10% of the truck battery to charge the ATV.
Electric motorcycles are getting pretty interesting, so I can see Tesla jumping into the ATV market. Once you have the battery & motor tech, the rest is just proven technology that's been around for decades.

dreadlocks

that would make sitting around waiting to recharge a bit more fun in places like Utah/Colorado.. The general store in Pitkin has a free EV charging spot, and you can ride ATV's right out of town and up over the Cumberland pass into Tincup and beyond..

shade

It is valid to question whether the product being discussed is even a real product. Notably the semi truck is still nowhere to be seen and that concept had fewer holes in it than this one.

Away from civilization people die if their equipment is bogus. We can't have bogus products in this lifestyle.

Again, calling famous bad guys on their trash is how we clean up the trash in this world. Praising a grifter as an agent of change is difficult to discern morally from saying Mussolini made the trains run on time.
Wow.

Seems like there should be a thread for the Sawyer family to celebrate the Musk Man, doesn't it?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
So, you claim bias for those who refuse what you state is genuine criticism. But then in the same sentence you use charged language, and frame musk as a grifter, authoritarian mass murder, and then go on to call the products bogus?

Do you even understand what a good faith argument is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven