Tesla Cybertruck: The Future?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
And keep in mind that the states are getting ready to make sure the electric vehicles are paying their fair share by tracking mileage of every vehicle and making them pay by the mile...that's a fact of life in Oregon already. Starting in January we'll have to provide odometer readings every time we register or re-register a vehicle in Nevada...I bet I know where that's going.

djfriimixx

And keep in mind that the states are getting ready to make sure the electric vehicles are paying their fair share by tracking mileage of every vehicle and making them pay by the mile...that's a fact of life in Oregon already. Starting in January we'll have to provide odometer readings every time we register or re-register a vehicle in Nevada...I bet I know where that's going.
The government so dumb. "Thank you for buying a zero emission vehicle, here's your $7500 tax credit. Don't thank us, we'll be taking it back"

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

erstwild

I am curious to see how that would look.....

I have been thinking about this myself. I think the best option would be a pop up hardside that basically squares off the entire rear of the vehicle behind the pinnacle of the stock roof line. Sort of like the XPCamper V2 design except more angular and clad in stainless steel. That being said, for something even more minimalist, it would appear that if one just removed the rear seats and window section and utilized the particular tonneau cover option that appears to go all the way to the roofline, you could build a full length raised storage bed inside the truck bed that would be quite efficient and comfortable.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have been thinking about this myself. I think the best option would be a pop up hardside that basically squares off the entire rear of the vehicle behind the pinnacle of the stock roof line. Sort of like the XPCamper V2 design except more angular and clad in stainless steel. That being said, for something even more minimalist, it would appear that if one just removed the rear seats and window section and utilized the particular tonneau cover option that appears to go all the way to the roofline, you could build a full length raised storage bed inside the truck bed that would be quite efficient and comfortable.
I think Tesla sort of presented a version of what you described.

Tesla-Cybertruck-camper-1-e1574434915159.jpg

erstwild

I think Tesla sort of presented a version of what you described.

View attachment 552949

Yes, I saw that as well. I think that would supposedly be a fabric tent material which I don't think would be great design factor for them to lean into as an option. Lest people draw further comparisons to the ghastly Pontiac Aztec that had a pop tent in the back as well. *shutters* I think it would really need to be hard-sided to keep the futuristic/premium image going.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yes, I saw that as well. I think that would supposedly be a fabric tent material which I don't think would be great design factor for them to lean into as an option. Lest people draw further comparisons to the ghastly Pontiac Aztec that had a pop tent in the back as well. *shutters* I think it would really need to be hard-sided to keep the futuristic/premium image going.
I actually thought the tent packages that came with the Aztek and Avalanche were pretty neat....

djfriimixx

NGL. Looks like a diaper
81711e39654a087f91dd255f427b50fc.jpg

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
Being in the automotive business, I was on promotion tour for a new electric compact car and mid-size PHEV SUV. I drove the plug-in for about a week and a half, with 80% city driving in electric mode. The compact has a real world range of 180mls on a full battery, being able to charge from 0-80% in half an hour on a 100kw charger.
Now would you run the battery down to 0%? Would you run your gas tank empty? If you rethink your driving behaviour from gas station fill up to charging your EV Like your smartphone when you get a chance to do so the range isn't such a limiting factor anymore.
Start at home unplug the car. Commute to work, plug it in. Drive by the grocery store, plug it in while shopping for 20min etc.

djfriimixx

Being in the automotive business, I was on promotion tour for a new electric compact car and mid-size PHEV SUV. I drove the plug-in for about a week and a half, with 80% city driving in electric mode. The compact has a real world range of 180mls on a full battery, being able to charge from 0-80% in half an hour on a 100kw charger.
Now would you run the battery down to 0%? Would you run your gas tank empty? If you rethink your driving behaviour from gas station fill up to charging your EV Like your smartphone when you get a chance to do so the range isn't such a limiting factor anymore.
Start at home unplug the car. Commute to work, plug it in. Drive by the grocery store, plug it in while shopping for 20min etc.
Like someone said earlier, 90% of people would do fine with an EV 99% of the time. The problem is that. In this particular sub culture. People tend to take 1000 mile, week long trips to the most remote locations possible. And that's just not possible with EVs, not yet anyway.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Like someone said earlier, 90% of people would do fine with an EV 99% of the time. The problem is that. In this particular sub culture. People tend to take 1000 mile, week long trips to the most remote locations possible. And that's just not possible with EVs, not yet anyway.

90% of the time it may work for us. But, that 10% would be a real pain to deal with as charging stations are not readily available here yet.

I think gas powered vehicles can be had for much cheaper.

You can buy a lot of gas for $10,000-$15,000. Again, I think for our situation, a hybrid would work better.

erstwild

OMG got the first request for a Tesla camper body today :)

It will be great to see what concepts you come up with for them. I love my current rig but 3-5 years from now I could really see this for my purposes if Tesla manages to stay solvent and after they get the gen 1 production issues ironed out. On that timeframe, solid state batteries might even become commercially viable if the rumblings from Toyota are any indication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven