Test driving a bunch of pistola's...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I have a Ruger P90 .45, and like the 1911, I consider it a real man's sidearm :D

Now that I've handled Glocks more I like them. Swiss watch reliable and super simple. My next pistol will be a Glock .40 because I have another gun that uses the same mags ;)

The XD? Ummm... I dont like the fact that it's a "Springfield Armory" that is made in Croatia... not that they dont make neat guns but I hate the watering down of an American icon. I've heard some negative reviews on these as well.

Cool. I've heard good things about the p90. the P95 just never rubbed me the right way...:D

The thing about the factory in Croatia, though, Dave, is that this gun is apparently the only thing they make. Their main, if not sole, purpose is to build these handguns. Makes me think that they'd want to do a good job, since if they weren't making them, I'd think their jobs would go, "poof".

I've heard a few bad things about them, too. Like rust issues, for example. What have you heard/read?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Another way I'm thinking about this, is who do I want to emulate when everyone's gone to sleep (and there's no-one to laugh at me).

Snap-caps in place, ammo locked up, as I break-in and burnish the internals through safe-direction dry-firing, I shall become:

1911 - The sergeant-major from "We were soldiers": "Prepare to defend yourselves"

Bersa - Bond from any of the connery,etc years: "Bond, James Bond"

SAA - Quigley down under: "I said I didn't have a use for them, not that I didn't know how to use them."

etc...

:D As you can tell, my search is very scientific...

Remember the line in We Were Soldiers- "Sir, Custer was a pansy, and you ain't". Remember THAT when you're snapping caps.

targa88

Explorer
They are all very personal choices.
IT all depends how it feels in your hand. Lay it down flat on a table/counter. Pick it up with your eyes closed, bring it up to eye/sighting level. IF you can see the sights properly without twisting/turning and you can grip it properly - then it potentially has the right ergonomics for you.
Fighting ergonomics is a pointless exercise.
I competed for many years with a Beretta 92FS Brigadier (9mm) never let me down through thousands of rounds. So a favourite for me.
I don't like the grips on the Sigs - so I have stayed away from them.

You might want to consider the Walther P99 - is very capable and simple to operate.

Although I enjoy various handguns and calibers - I always seem to return to the Beretta 9mm.

robert

Expedition Leader
As noted, get the one that feels the best to you since you'll generally shoot it better. Of the guns you listed I would go for the XD9. It's reliable, shoots a readily available cartridge that is currently probably the least expensive to buy and it can be concealed in a pinch.

The reason the XD feels better to you than the Glock is the grip angle- it's not much of a difference, but if you hold them one on top of the other you'll see it. The XD approximates the grip angle of the venerable 1911. The 4th gen. Glocks have an interchangable backstrap so that should help. Both still feel block to my hands though.

XD9- Good gun, parts are harder to come by but reliable
Sigma 9mm or 40- never been a fan of S&W autos; the original Sigmas were junk
Ruger P95 9mm- reliable but clunky feeling with a funky safety and heavy
Sig pro 9mm- never tried one but I have several other Sigs that I like
Sig P6(used)- magazines are very expensive (never buy Promag anything), grip may be a touch short for some and the trigger needs to be replaced with a shorter throw version (factory)
Smith K38(used) .38- can't argue with success and timeless tradition
RIA tactical .45- good guns when they run, parts interchangeability; 1911s sometimes take a little sorcery to get them 100%
Bersa thunder .380- great gun for a .380 but you can get small 9mms these days

Of course all of this is subject to change depending on what your primary use for the gun is. The Bersa is the most concealable for example.

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
I want it to do that every time, whether its a zombie, a perpatratorio, a rabbit, a rabid leprechaun, or a paper-man-shape.
:D
Stay away from any of the optioned out 1911's if you want reliability. The tighter you build one the more prone it is to jams. If you do decide on a 1911, buy a Mil-spec built as Browning intended.
yeah, the RIA tactical has the BT grip safety and commander hammer, as well as some snazzy sights. I don't think it has any MIM parts, either. Supposedly, it shares some high end parts with the likes of kimber and Ed brown, not sure which though. Maybe trigger parts?
Unlikely it sharing parts with Kimber or Brown(Kimber does use MIM parts by the way).
I like the idea of being able to tinker with the 1911, as well as being able to buy a .22 conversion kit from kimber, etc., later, so the gun is able to run on more than just .45 ($$)
The option of a 22 conversion is a high point for any pistol, but more on that later.
I would recommend looking for a used Baretta 92. I have two, and they are fantastic firearms, and have been the standard equipped sidearm for our military for a while now...
I would also recommend sticking to 9mm. No ammo shortages, and it is an ammo that will always be relatively cheap, due to the quantity produced for the military.
Definitely a pistol worth looking at, for all the reasons mentioned above. They are a little overcomplicated due to being based on the Walther P98, but all around great guns. If you do handle one and the grip isn't right, look for a 92Vertex. It has a slimmer grip that may feel better in the hand.
You might look at the EAA Witness in .45ACP.
I bought this gun when I was looking for a 1911, and have been very happy with it.
You can buy different uppers for it as well, and then you can shoot .22LR, .357Sig and .40 S&W I believe.
This, or an original CZ was going to be my suggestion of a true sleeper in the gun world. Accurate, reliable and affordable. I picked up my CZ75B for $300 new. A friend saw his groups 1/2 when he shot my CZ over his $800+ HK. If possible however, buy the .22 conversion as a kit with the gun as it will be fitted from the factory. The Kadet conversion does need a little tweaking of the ejector to work with your chosen ammo.
A few Notes on RIA. While they do have the parts interchangeability, the frames are cast. Most 1911 parts require fitting no matter the manufacturers frame, but the RIAs have had "voids" in the frame that were only found when fitting different parts. If you plan on only shooting it, and never trying different beaver tails or backstraps, it should be fine. If you think you may ever decide to do a little customizing, spend the extra for a real steel frame(Springfield Mil-spec or similar).
If you're really itching for a SAA, check out the EMF or Beretta Stampede.

sjohn139

Ruger Hunter

Just Bought a Ruger Single Six Hunter myself. 22lr and 22mag. Very Nice. Have fun shopping!

MotoDave

Explorer
Have you shot all of the guns you're considering? How it feels and shoots in your hands is really all that counts. I made the mistake of buying a gun I had never shot once (Glock 23) and won't make the same mistake again.

njsjeep

Observer
Another pistol to consider is the Ruger SR9.
It is US made, affordable and comfortable to shoot even with a 17 round magazine.

I got one a couple of months ago and have put a few thousand rounds of cheap ammo through it without a single failure.

It has a firm trigger pull but it isn't a competition pistol and the accuracy is good enough that you cant use it as an excuse for poor shooting.

http://ruger.com/products/sr9/models.html

I have 2 XD's and a RIA .45 Tactical.

I love my XD's

and I love my 1911.. the only problem I have ever had with either is ammo, and it is very rare.

I literally just loaded up 100 rounds of 45..my hands are still damp from washing them afterwards....

I highly recommend the RIA. they have outstanding customer service. If there is any problem with your gun they well bend over backwards to make you happy.

Met a guy once who had a problem with hammer follow on his RIA and he sent it in and it came back fully tuned and everything, it was dead nuts reliable after that.

If I never have to touch a beretta 92 again it would be too soon. I hate that weapon.

Good luck on your decision.

Oh, and you can conceal a fullsize 1911.. :ylsmoke:

LMarshall73

Adventurer
I would recommend Glock's offerings in the 9mm variety. If you plan on carrying the weapon for self defense, capacity truly is king. With the proper holster, anything (within reason) can be adequately concealed while being easily retrieved when needed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WXhWDi9154]Carry options[/ame]

HERE is a review I did for a gunfighting class I attended in June.

MNDodge

Observer
I would not go with the SIG Pro, I love SIGs, but this is SIG's cheap version and shoot nothing like other SIGs. The new SIG 250 should be considered an option, it is on the low end for price as far as SIGs go and is supposed to be a great gun (and is very adjustable to the shooter). I've never been a fan of the Beretta's or any Ruger auto. I didn't like Glocks in the past, but have carried both a Glock 22 (.40 cal) and 21sf (.45 cal) and loved the 21sf. You can't beat Glocks for simplicity, very few moving parts and very easy to clean. (They're also fairly cheap). If it were me, I would go with .40 or .45 for shear stopping power. While I know if you hit someone in the right place with a 9, they will go down, but if you hit someone virtually anywhere with a .45, it will do enough damage to put them out of the fight. Whatever you do, try to shoot the weapon's before you buy one to make sure it fits your hand properly and you are comfortable shooting it.
Just my .02

baca327

Adventurer
I recentley just purchased a Glock 19 gen 4 for the wife. My handgun arsenal consists of a xd45 fullsize which is a great shooting gun for me. A taurus pt140 and a very expensive Kimber that I still hear about. I was against the Glock because it felt like a 2x4 in your hands. It was alot more balanced in the hands than the top heavy xd. We decided on the 9mm for her because she can shoot the .40 and .45's accurate but she is not comfortable with them. She is afraid of the pistols recoil plain and simple. Also if carried in her purse its probably gonna get dirty, and I wanted a pistol that would shoot no matter what when she pulled the trigger and that is what completely sold me on it. After shooting the G19 I was very surprised how fun it was to shoot. The size of the round whether 9mm, .40 or .45 all will put down a target. If you carry a .45 but cant control the pistol and afraid to fire it, it is useless in your hands. Hitting your target will take it down not so much bigger caliber when talking about the human criminal. Hitting your target in the chest twice with a 9mm is 200% more effective than hitting the wall with a .45. Its just whatever you are comfortable shooting. The 9mm rounds available today are more than capable of stopping a human. Also using a M9 at work I cant stand the thing wish I could carry my Kimber instead..
Also just found this just thought I would throw it in.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdIBZWhzO8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdIBZWhzO8[/ame]

XL Bar

Observer
I would recommend the Smith and Wesson K frame .38 out of all of those you mentioned. Even better would be the .357 in a M19 or a M66. Very reliable, versatile, accurate, great triggers out of the box, powerful, classic design, made in America by true craftsmen...

Brian

Lichen

Explorer
Just Bought a Ruger Single Six Hunter myself. 22lr and 22mag. Very Nice. Have fun shopping!

This is one of the Rugers that I have. It's not a practical concealed nor defensive weapon, but it sure looks good and is accurate and a blast to shoot.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
My favorite is the Sig Pro personally. It also fits my hand and feels the best out of all of them including something like a Glock. I am a much bigger fan of .40 over 9mm personally now as well. After owning 9mm, I'm basically done with it. I realize it has a purpose but definitely a fan of .40 first and formost...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk