Test driving a bunch of pistola's...

juicebox

Adventurer
I never thought of it like that...

I guess that makes sense though, I was cleaning out my closet the other day and realizing how big and clunky my shotgun is. I don't have a tactical shotgun, so mine is really big. I could see myself banging it in to walls and and not being able to handle it through the hallways and such. I think if I had a small shotgun, like a pistol grip with a short barrel it would be different, but it's still pretty big.

I have 4 dogs in my house, so I am not too worried about intruders. Although I guess the "it'll never happen to me" mentality isn't the best way of thinking. I got that 9mm just for practice, but it may become a nightstand gun. Now I wish that it had a rail for a light... :(

robert

Expedition Leader
Personally I prefer a handgun with a light on it as well as a separate light. Better to have a free hand to keep someone back if need be (you shoulda shot before they got within 21 feet if possible anyways), use the phone, open or close a door, push a kid back in their room, etc.

If you're going to use a shotgun DO NOT USE BIRDSHOT! Anyone who tells you to do so is an idiot and I'd tell them that to their face. Birdshot does not have enough mass to penetrate reliably- it makes nasty looking wounds but does not penetrate deeply enough to reliably incapacitate someone. I have seen multiple people shot with birdshot over the years and the only ones that were successful with birdshot were the ones who tried to suckstart the thing (blew their own brains out). The smallest I would use would be #4 buck. Make no mistake about home defense, you are not try to wound or scare someone or even teach them a lesson. You are trying to stop them right freakin now so that they can't harm you or your loved ones. The distances within a house are short enough that a bad guy can cover them and be on top of you with a knife, screwdriver, etc in a very, very short time. There is no middle ground and if you can't come to terms with killing another human then a gun may no be a good idea. I know all that sounds harsh, but there is no middle ground, just cold hard reality.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
just to clarify, I was not advocating light bird shot. I was only stating that even it will go through sheet rock.

I will note: The one shot stop is a myth, be it from a shotgun or a pistol. Humans are very resilient creatures. There have been cases where people have stayed fighting with a 12 gauge slug through them....and those who went down with a .22lr to a limb.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So here's what I chose:wings::

XD-9 Tactical (9mm)

XD9_2_350.jpg

XD Tactical Model 5”

XD9401HCSP06* TACTICAL MODEL, Black
Caliber: 9x19MM
Magazines: 2 - 16 Round, Stainless Steel
Barrel: 5” Steel, Melonite,
Fully Supported Ramp
Sights: Dovetail Front and Rear (Steel) 3 - Dot
Trigger pull: 5.5 - 7.7 lbs.
Frame: Black Polymer
Slide: Forged Steel, Melonite Finish
Recoil System: One Piece Full Length Guide Rod
Length: 8.3”
Height: 5.5”
Weight w/ Empty Magazine: 30 ozs.

here's a great article about them from an ardent 1911 fan:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/XD-9_Tactical.htm

robert

Expedition Leader
just to clarify, I was not advocating light bird shot. I was only stating that even it will go through sheet rock.

I will note: The one shot stop is a myth, be it from a shotgun or a pistol. Humans are very resilient creatures. There have been cases where people have stayed fighting with a 12 gauge slug through them....and those who went down with a .22lr to a limb.

Sorry- I knew what you meant and wasn't meaning to imply that you were advocating birdshot. My apologies.

But you're very right re. the one shot stop. I've seen people DRT (dead right there) from a single .22 and I've seen them shot multiple times with rifle rounds and still walking. I will say that a load of 00 buckshot center of mass at maybe five yards was very effective on a would be robber. It put nine holes in his chest and he bled out where he hit the ground. I ran a strip on him, called him dead and left him lying there for the coroner.

Boy asking this kind of question is sort of like asking a man his favorite beer. That said I will throw my opinion into the lot.

Why do I carry a .45? ‘Cause they don’t make a .46.

Pretty much anywhere I go I have a Springfield Arms 1911A1 on my hip. Simply put it works; always has, always will.

What better stamp of approval the Col. Copper himself:

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.”

LACamper

Adventurer
I have a Springfield 1911 Loaded. I can't imagine trading it for anything. I've had numerous pistols over the years and none would I choose over that 1911.
I have a Smith 469 9mm (12 shot, alloy frame, 3 3/4" bbl). Its OK but just not as reassuring. I've had .38's and .357's. I sold a ruger speed six that I wish I had kept. Nice gun. Still not up to my 1911.
I wouldn't mind having an XD or s&w m&p in 9mm for match shooting.
A 12ga for home defense is OK, but overpenetration is an issue if you have neighbors nearby. Actually a .223 rifle is the best choice in that situation, believe it or not. Do a search for 'the buick of truth' and do some reading. Its a very informative forum.

On the competitions, some are starting to have .22 combat competitions. See if you can find one. .22 ammo is cheap.

For an IWB holster, take a look at the blackhawk holsters. Nicely made but not overly expensive. If you want a really nice one try K&D holsters out of florida. I have one for my .380 that I've used every day, all day for the last 3 years and it looks brand new.

Weapons lights. Good idea, but it doesn't always work. If your house has a gloss or semigloss paint job try it first. Turn out your lights and lay there for an hour, let your eyes get used to the dark, then search the house. I found a lot of reflection with a super bright light. I have a TLR-1 on my AR and its too bright for indoors. I have a brinkman LED that is just right that I paid under $20 for. Think about searching the house after waking up from a dead sleep.

An alarm system is good for when you're not home. A good dog is worth a lot. Stay away from the 'vicious' breeds to avoid lawsuits (I'm an insurance agent...). You don't need an attack dog, you need a dog to wake you up. I leave the dog in the bedroom with the wife (and daughter and another gun) if something wakes her up.

A Springfield 1911 is over your budget unless you get a good deal used but worth every penny. Don't buy the ruger. Its OK, but you'll be upgrading soon (and taking a loss on the trade in). Better to cry once...

I try and keep it simple; too many guns I would like to buy. Between a wife thats not a big gun fan and desire to shoot what I do have and not hunt for ammo I keep the armory streamline.

Daily Carry/Home Defense - Springfield 1911A1 with 230-gr. Hydroshock
Hunting/Back-up Home Defense - DPMS AR10 SASS with load dependent on game(168-gr frangible at home however)
Bear Defense - Marlin 1895 45-70 with Garret 540-gr SuperHardCast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk