Texas to Alaska to Texas. 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid driving on the Dalton Highway and the Dempster Highway. July/August 2023.

I have put my road trip to Alaska on hold as I am flying out of the country this weekend and I will be gone for 3 weeks. When I come back, I plan to start this road trip to Alaska the last week of July. I will adjust the dates on my first post when my new dates have been confirmed after I return home from my trip out of the country.

I read that July is the month that sees the most travelers on the Dalton Highway and the Dempster Highway.

Last edited:

aknightinak

That should work out fine. The Dalton washed out at the Sag about a week ago and just reopened to one lane. You can track the response here:

Mid-June through July and August as travel dates for the more northern highways generally gives the roadsides time to shed the last of the winter's snow, especially this year as long as it lingered and held up spring. A lot of us here also refrain from wheeling until late June when the trails dry out.

I am still out of the country and decided to share some random pictures of my trip so far. I took a 12-hour road trip and took some pictures along the way. I used my younger brother's Santa Fe.

X6pa6IL.jpg

AvaoIQw.jpg

OWa4xBT.jpg

kv0PoE8.jpg

byCSllx.jpg

r2ybbzM.jpg

5DYl9US.jpg

npwnz7i.jpg

FsLhW94.jpg

gJTATPv.jpg

Q7Z8L3W.jpg

34jHaTt.jpg

Ujzff1E.jpg

Fhyi304.jpg

Eq4Jq36.jpg

EWUmPlL.jpg

Sharing a meal with my siblings
H6lV7Bl.jpg

iiasOtL.jpg

5sHiJkY.jpg

Last edited:
Given your screen name, I guessed that you were the younger brother, haha

Looks like an amazing trip.
I am very close to my younger brother and we both like cars a lot. I taught him how to drive in my mom's Nissan Sunny station wagon and I basically taught myself how to drive with our Dad's Peugeot 504.

When I moved to the US, a very long time ago, I always told him that if he ever moved to the US, I would hand over my car to him and buy a new one. Since he is "mon petit frere" (my younger brother), I just liked using that word when talking to him about my car.

A few cars later, when I found car forums and wanted to sign up, the word PetitFrere was always on my mind, so I used it as my screen name.

That is a little back story about how my screen name came to be.

So, I went car shopping. These prices are already with tax and title included. 90% of car buyers have to pay cash for their cars. Very few people can afford brand new vehicles. Some people can actually finance cars now but it is extremely rare amd gets pretty expensive when you go that route.

Here are the cars I admired and their out the door prices. The prices below are different from the sticker price because they claim to give me their best price. The price in the local currency and then the price in US dollars as of today's exchange rate.

2023 Jimny JX 4x4. 5 speed manual.
17,900,000 FCFA is approximately $29,800 USD
wjX9prI.jpg

MQ162i5.jpg

bhUE0CA.jpg

2023 Peugeot LanTrek
22,900,000 FCFA. Approximately $38,100 USD
eOH98C8.jpg

2023 Toyota Hilux
29,900,000 FCFA. Approximately $49,800
dUsfika.jpg

2023 Toyota Rav4 4x4. Manual transmission.
32,900,000 FCFA. Approximately $54,800 USD.
Xg17G88.jpg

EgPnHnW.jpg

RMd2vQQ.jpg

2023 Toyota LandCruiser
123,900,000 FCFA. Approximately $206,300.
gMtkTW7.jpg

Pm7ZCXK.jpg

jAbMeVh.jpg

2023 Toyota Prado
60,900,000 FCFA. Approximately $101,000 USD
kmLj0p8.jpg

nZbKUzu.jpg

2023 Toyota Fortunner
45,900,000 FCFA. Approximately $76,500 USD
MBJJaDQ.jpg

dOCQNeO.jpg

2023 Mercedes GLS 450 4Matic
159,900,000 FCFA. Approximately $266,200 USD
NKvnWbG.jpg

1jsg1vn.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know how prevalent French was there.
I see by a few of the window hangers that the cars were sold despite how expensive they are!
Cameroon is a third world country rich in culture. It is a bilingual country, but the prevalent language is French. 80% of the country is French. 20% is English.

There are way too many poor people in Cameroon. Sadly, there is a lot of corruption and greed in the country. So, it makes you wonder how some people are able to afford paying over $200,000 USD cash for a car in a third world country. I mean, there are some very rich people but then paying so much cash for a car, you wonder how they got their own wealth.

My family is English speaking, but my parents were employed in the french part of the country. They gave birth to their kids and raised them there. Growing up in the French part of the country, it was natural for all of us to become bilingual. So, we speak, read and write English and French.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Cameroon is a third world country rich in culture. It is a bilingual country, but the prevalent language is French. 80% of the country is French. 20% is English.

There are way too many poor people in Cameroon. Sadly, there is a lot of corruption and greed in the country. So, it makes you wonder how some people are able to afford paying over $200,000 USD cash for a car in a third world country. I mean, there are some very rich people but then paying so much cash for a car, you wonder how they got their own wealth.

My family is English speaking, but my parents were employed in the french part of the country. They gave birth to their kids and raised then there. Growing up in the French part of the country, it was natural for all of us to become bilingual. So, we speak, read and write English and French.
I had no idea. Very interesting. So are you still quite fluent in French?
I did all my schooling in French immersion but afterwards didn't have much chance to use it. So, my French is pretty rusty now.

For sure. It would make me wonder as well. That's a lot of cash to shell out for those vehicles!

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city

My family is English speaking, but my parents were employed in the french part of the country. They gave birth to their kids and raised them there. Growing up in the French part of the country, it was natural for all of us to become bilingual. So, we speak, read and write English and French.

That's crazy! I hadn't a clue that it was predominantly French. I really can't comprehend paying that much USD for those. I imagine importing is just as infeasible.

LoganR

I appreciate that live sex cams offer a judgement-free zone for exploring kinks and fetishes.

Last edited:
More random pics in the village...
My younger sister and I performed a traditional dance in the village
STjmVPu.jpg

sAnKprG.jpg

HCIkcpE.jpg

67Dj8Cv.jpg

Y1v3siR.jpg

Ua6vSLK.jpg

FVwRnr7.jpg

xKeDWN6.jpg

Y4MweXK.jpg

CMoJjmi.jpg

bk6REpx.jpg

Roadside food that we always buy and eat along the 6 hours drive from our village to the city where my siblings live. This is the halfway point in the journey where most travelers stop to take a restroom break in the bushes, and most people eat something and stretch their legs.
NkgrZKS.jpg

WxhHOTk.jpg

7AFKD3b.jpg

4GojGM6.jpg

The last 6 hours roadtrip with my brother. He was driving his Mercedes while I was driving his wife's Santa Fe. The roads are very bad.
tjnJMIx.jpg

EMW1Mv7.jpg

0xifoG3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater