Texas to Alaska to Texas. 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid driving on the Dalton Highway and the Dempster Highway. July/August 2023.

My last home-cooked meal prepared by my cousin at her house. I shared the meal with my younger brother and his wife. I leave back for the US tomorrow. It has been a great time with family.
i7N7hGz.jpg

K6Y9oSC.jpg

ITTOG

My last home-cooked meal prepared by my cousin at her house. I shared the meal with my younger brother and his wife. I leave back for the US tomorrow. It has been a great time with family.
i7N7hGz.jpg
Thanks for sharing these photo's. It is awesome to see a different culture.

What are the names of each of the four foods? In your language and in English? Just curious what it is, especially the second one (the rolled items).

Thanks for sharing these photo's. It is awesome to see a different culture.

What are the names of each of the four foods? In your language and in English? Just curious what it is, especially the second one (the rolled items).
From left to right. These are the foods in the picture and their local name in Cameroon. I Google them to show you pictures. You can Google them to read what they are made of or from.

1 - Bar Fish
SQQM4v5.jpg

2 - Miondo
PtItZha.jpg

3 - Ndole
n8244Lu.jpg

4 - Ekwang
9YIC2iO.jpg

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Looks so cool! Do many of the people there seamlessly go between air-conditioned enclosed structures to open-to-the-elements structures or is there a large preference for modern amenities? I remember traveling many years ago to an area in Mexico where the buildings and surroundings looked similar and AC and modern construction was not as big of a deal as it is in the US. The locals and friends I knew who lived there were content with the less "modern" amenities.

My road trip starts tomorrow. I decided to go through Colorado for a more scenic drive. I want to go and drive on Pikes Peak and Mt Evans since it has been a long time since I drove on those roads. If time permits too, I will visit Rocky Mountain National Park. I plan to visit Glacier National Park before I drive into Canada.

Because of the high risk of tire puncture on the Dalton Highway and the Dempster Highway, I had to buy an extra full spare tire to carry with me on this trip. So, I have 2 spare tires in my trunk. A full spare and a donut. I also bought a tire repair kit. I am hoping for the best, though I am preparing myself for any tire punctures I may have.

I called yesterday to get a hotel on the Dalton Highway and was told the road is not the best now for my car to drive on it. 6 feet mud just before a hill climb. But I am still going to go there with my Accord and drive on that hill. Oh well, I will evaluate when I get there.
VKP3c8g.jpg

yojlTB0.jpg

JxjXBib.jpg

Last edited:

aknightinak

Winter stays is seven months long, spring lasts a week, then you get 6 weeks of summer before the snow flies. It might be mud today and dry summer roads next week. Unless they are having torrential rain I'll bet the road is solid when you get there.
The Dalton got hammered this spring, looks open now, but the work is still ongoing.
This site can be a help in determining where major closures and construction delays are: https://511.alaska.gov

Fishenough

Creeper
Thank you for the pictures from Douala! (anything to do with food gets me excited)

I'm exploring and working in the Yukon right now, just ran into the Dodge Caravan van I met earlier last month. It has over 400,000 miles, strictly driving back and forth on the dempster. They only carry ones spare. Repair kit is a great plan, be sure to include a pump also.

This season like others, have met many Travelers over the last couple months, many do not carry spares, or self repair ability. They admit to relying on the kindness of passerby's or other travelers. Remember that the routes you m will be traveling, are regularly traveled by others. In the North I'd like to think others, seeing someone in need, are more likely to stop and help than any other area you may travel.

As someone exploring lesser traveled areas of Yukon and Alaska, thinking my age is such that these are my last years of following quad trails on motorcycle. A comfy car sounds amazing. Pictured is 40 km's into the Yukon alpine with 15 km's to go (and I'm tired at this point)
b22011e29e70cbdbaa3c7caffc668efa.jpg

Driving last night was not easy. I was extremely tired as from 12am. So at 1am, I pulled over at the next rest stop.

I went and used the restroom and walked around and counted 8 cars parked and people sleeping in them. I saw this guy sleeping in the bed of his truck. I went closer to make sure he was sleeping and not dead. I concluded he was sleeping.

I got into my car and quickly fell asleep. I woke up at 3:30am and went and freshened up and realized 4 of the cars had left. I got into my car refreshed and was on my merry way.
lRzxoSe.jpg

Hm8QgMW.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater