The 2011 Jeep LACK OF DIESEL thread....

tacomadave

Adventurer
If they sold the Diesel, 3 door long wheelbase with the higher top and troop carrier seating in the back, like the J8 but i dont specifically need the Dana 60, I would keep it forever.

But, why would Jeep want to make a vehicle that lasts forever when they can sell us new ones every 3-5 years.

x32792

Adventurer
I think Jeep is under estimating the number of diesel wranglers they would sell. Desert tan rubicon diesel. Sign me up.

:smiley_drive:

Desert tan with three piece hard top for sure, but wonder if you'd really need to go all the way to Ruby?

The 2.8L CRD puts out about 339 ft-lbs of torque. Any Wrangler putting out that kind of torque would surely be equipped with heavier everything.

John

alosix

Expedition Leader
Desert tan with three piece hard top for sure, but wonder if you'd really need to go all the way to Ruby?

The 2.8L CRD puts out about 339 ft-lbs of torque. Any Wrangler putting out that kind of torque would surely be equipped with heavier everything.

John

Wouldn't want the 4:1 t-case.. but if spending that much on a jeep I'd want it locked front and rear.

Pathfinder

Adventurer
Unfortunately I think this issue is that good diesel engines cost more than gas engines to manufacture.

I would LOVE a good diesel in my FJC! Low end torque, here we come!

We all know Toyota has a very nice diesel in its Hilux overseas, but not here in a the land of the free.

For those who said diesels are slow, a BMW 335d will do 0-60 in 6 seconds flat, in a car that gives 26 MPG city, 38 mpg highway. Oh yeah, it has 425 ft-lbs of torque, almost as much as a Duramax.....

Now if we could just convince Toyota that the Taco, the FJC, and the Tundra all really need a nice medium size diesel here in the land of the free!

Then Jeep might wake up allow their customers to smell diesel fumes as well.

orangeTJ

Explorer
My Duramax flat out screams when it's empty (4 rear tires = mega traction)

I'm leaning towards a JK when the 2012s come out, if there's a diesel option, I'M IN!

Sahara Tan or White, Rubicon model!

Flyn G

Observer
More speculation?

Car Connection

If you're a fan of four-wheel drive and off-roading, you've probably longed for a diesel Land Rover Defender at some point. They're out there, but they're expensive, and often high-maintenance due to age and rough lives. Soon we may get our own American equivalent, though, in the form of a diesel-powered Jeep Wrangler.

Jeep has sold diesel models outside the U.S. for years, and even offered a diesel in the Grand Cherokee at times here as well, but the fuel's general dislike among mainstream buyers and the typically low horsepower (but high torque) of the engines that burn it have kept it from spreading further. That may change soon, as fuel economy pressures rise and emissions standards converge between Europe and the U.S.

The source of the new diesels for the Wrangler? The same engines that were planned for the Ram 1500: Cummins. Slotting the oil-burners into Jeeps wouldn't require much additional engineering or cost, so it may be the easiest route. New corporate overlord Fiat also owns a stake in VM Motori, however, which builds a wide range of diesel engines, and it may get the nod instead--especially as the Jeep Grand Cherokee's European brethren are already expected to get just such treatment.

Perhaps best of all, should the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler find solid diesel acceptance, the long-awaited return of the Jeep pickup might get the option as well.

Whichever way this diesel cookie crumbles, we're looking forward to it, as are many Jeep enthusiasts.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I've seen this show up online in a couple of places today:
from allpar apparently..

"Chrysler has been posted numerous jobs on careerbuilder.com for diesel engineers in the areas of application integration and development.

While this may be for products used in Europe, because those already have diesel options from VM, which is half-owned by Fiat Powertrain, it seems likely that these positions are for adapting diesel engines to vehicles sold in the United States.

As European emissions standards come closer to American standards, the economics of adapting VM and Fiat diesels to American products may be improving.

While there are also new Cummins engines which were planned for the Ram 1500 and possibly other vehicles, work on adapting these is reportedly nearly complete and would not require new hires. There is a possibility that Fiat has pressured Chrysler to switch vendors on the future diesel Ram 1500, but this seems less likely than repowering Jeeps, since the diesel Ram program was nearly complete. Numerous rumors of diesel-powered Wranglers for the United States and Canada have been making the rounds.

Many Jeep enthusiasts have criticized the use of the 3.8 liter V6 in the current Wrangler; it is set to be replaced in the 2012 model year by the Pentastar V6. Even before the 4-liter straight six was swapped out, however, the Jeep community was demanding a diesel, which has strong torque off the line and can greatly reduce fuel usage as well."

Fingers are crossed, though I highly doubt anything before the 2013 model year

-Dan

2-Door Wrangler Sport Diesel Manual. ( adjusted for US gallons )
33.1 mpg combined cycle
36.2 mpg urban cycle
28.3 mpg city cycle

I happen to have a 2011 2 Door Manual Diesel with Stop/Start and I can tell you that it can only get about 28mpg if you really really nurse it. Its more like 23.5 typical on winter diesel.

dh

Jorsn

Adventurer
If you really want a diesel in the jeep wrangler then we should start a petition. Audi did the same thing with a petition on facebook to gauge the interest in the tt-rs here in America. They got enough interest and now they are bringing it to the US in Q3 2011.

Joker

Adventurer
Want me to piss you off even more; they barely even drive Jeeps in the UK. I was in London for two weeks this past January for work and in the entire two weeks this was the only Jeep I saw.

LondonJeep.jpg

Kelboski

Observer
There is a gentleman on jeepforum that owned and sold a 2.8 VM diesel powered JKU. It was absolutely beautiful. I will try to furnish a link. I seem to remember that he purchased the engine and had it installed in Colorado and later moved to Georgia.

That was my JK.

I have another 4dr JK now, and trust me... I miss the VM Motori.

Kelbo

jingram

Adventurer
I happen to have a 2011 2 Door Manual Diesel with Stop/Start and I can tell you that it can only get about 28mpg if you really really nurse it. Its more like 23.5 typical on winter diesel.

dh

Dave, thanks for piping in and giving us real numbers! How do you like the start/stop tech? Is it intrusive at all or does it work well?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

dh

Hey Dave,

Thanks for commenting. Having you over here on expeditionportal commenting on a diesel thread shows you know how much we want a diesel wrangler.

Now that AEV is going to build diesel J8's, does that change the status of any possible diesel conversion kit for JK's? It's clear you guys can order all the parts needed, and you've mentioned before the motor and consumables are in the Chrysler parts system..

On the other hand, could AEV sell Diesel JK's using the same "kit car" loophole used for the J8?

Thanks again,
-Dan

P.S. You can see how much I want a diesel Wrangler, and I'm starting to think I'll go to any length to get one. I could just go back to Australia (my home country) and buy one, but then the steering wheel is on the wrong side... I'm thinking about buying and registering one in the cheapest place I can in Europe, then just shipping it where ever I want it....
There *must* be a better way.

dp7197

Adventurer

dh

I've seen the RHD white one, please show us some pics of the diesel. Is 23.5mpg on stock tires or are you running your 3.5" lift and 35s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner