The 2011 Jeep LACK OF DIESEL thread....

reece146

Automotive Artist
I'm right there wanting a diesel wrangler too, and it is a very interesting topic.

I'm wondering how hard it would be for you guys to buy one from Europe (or somewhere), ship it over, and register it ?

When I lived in Canada I went through the paperwork to "import" my XJ from the USA, and while it was only coming from the USA, I think the process would be identical and not difficult at all. Because it's made in the USA, it would still be tax-free thanks to NAFTA.
I'll bet you can make up a story like "Yeah, I lived/worked in Germany for a year, now I've moving back home and would like to bring my Jeep with me"

The "registrar of imported vehicles" in Canada has great info on their site.

Thoughts?

-Dan

The RIV "easy" process only applies for U.S. specification vehicles legal for importation or distribution within the U.S.

Non-U.S. specification vehicles must be more than 15 years old in order to be imported into Canada.

Non-U.S. specification vehicles must be more than 25 years old in order to be imported into U.S.

Steve F

Adventurer
The huge irony of Jeep offering diesel Wranglers in Europe is that no one in Europe could care less what's under the hood of a Wrangler. This side of the Atlantic we just don't buy them meaning Jeep dealers in the UK count annual Wrangler sales in single figures. Jeep could pull the Wrangler from sale in UK and no body would even notice, even at the $10 a gallon we've reached over here! :Wow1:

The diesel is also sold in Australia (right hand drive so same as the UK spec vehicles) with around 3000 Wranglers (Petrol and Diesel combined) sold here last year, if the Rubicon was offered in a diesel a big chunk of those sales would be diesel. In fact if only diesel was offered here I doubt sales would be any less if the price was right, the petrol sells for less than the diesel. We also get the KK and Grand in diesel form as well and would be a decent chunk of the remaining 4000 Jeeps sold here each year (about 7000 in total).

Diesel is the preferred option down here and every manufacturer offers a diesel 4WD.

Cheers
Steve

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan,
As my next planned outing is 6,000-7,000 miles, that 35 mpg and extra torque sure would be sweet...pricy, but sweet.
John

Tell me about it, my current *outing* just ran 35,000 miles and is still going.

Although, as can be seen clearly from the diesel wranglers overseas, 35mpg is a pipe dream. Much closer to 20 in reality which is something I really, really don't understand. A highly sophisticated euro diesel getting around 20 is terrible.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The RIV "easy" process only applies for U.S. specification vehicles legal for importation or distribution within the U.S.

Non-U.S. specification vehicles must be more than 15 years old in order to be imported into Canada.

Non-U.S. specification vehicles must be more than 25 years old in order to be imported into U.S.

Ahh, that's the part I was missing. Now I understand.

-Dan

reece146

Automotive Artist
Tell me about it, my current *outing* just ran 35,000 miles and is still going.

Although, as can be seen clearly from the diesel wranglers overseas, 35mpg is a pipe dream. Much closer to 20 in reality which is something I really, really don't understand. A highly sophisticated euro diesel getting around 20 is terrible.

-Dan

The diesel VW Polo gets 70+ mpg on the highway. When a JK weighs twice what Polo does and has twice Cd it might get close to half the mpg of a Polo. We are now talking about a Jeep badged Fiat Panda.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There has been some pretty good documentation of diesel mileage in the JK. Even with the last gen motor The J8s development rigs where seeing more than 20mpg. There was the JK CRD swap that was for sale, with all factory parts, 4.10 gears, manual trans, and HEAVY 37" toyo tires he was still getting 18+ at 70mph. The white AEV LJ was also getting 20+mpg at 75mph according to Dave. Fuel use was also WAY down on the trail...like half as much as a gas engine.

The next gen motors are even better.

Bone stock MPG vs lifted/big tire/loaded MPG is another thing....

jingram

Adventurer
This was posted up on JK Forums today:

Hello All - My first post to this forum.

I live in England and last week I bought a new "2 Door 2.8 CRD Unlimited" - which appears to be more or less identical to the one being discussed here. It's quiet, quick (easily does 100 mph), has a 5 speed automatic gearbox and the seating is all leather - but it's a Grey colour not black. The Sat Nav and Radio / HDD player all work well and I'm delighted with it now that we're getting hammered by early snow here in England.

Driving on motorways at a steady 75 to 80 mph I'm currently getting about 29 to 31 mpg.
Key differences that I can see are no 'stop-start' function and no heated seats. It has the 3 piece Freedom Top which I haven't attempted to remove yet , and the dash looks the same - as I say, I'm absolutely delighted with it.

Anyway - thought I'd introduce myself and say Hi.

Pete.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There is a little bit of a imperial to US gallon conversion, but still, VERY good all in all. I corrected for this in the figures I posted earlier.

alosix

Expedition Leader
"2 Door 2.8 CRD Unlimited"

They didn't go and give the UK the 3door like the one J8 did they?

I'm really beginning to believe that we don't have diesel JKs or Jeep pickups in the US because the Dodge brand managers are afraid it will eat into their sales and they have more pull than the Jeep guys do.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The diesel VW Polo gets 70+ mpg on the highway. When a JK weighs twice what Polo does and has twice Cd it might get close to half the mpg of a Polo. We are now talking about a Jeep badged Fiat Panda.

My German friends over here are driving a new VW van around (forget what they are called) It weighs 3 tons with all their crap inside and I'd bet it had a similar Cd to a JK.. 30mpg day in, day out.

-Dan

uzj100

Adventurer
Jeep CRD

I think Jeep is under estimating the number of diesel wranglers they would sell. Desert tan rubicon diesel. Sign me up.

:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner