The 2011 Jeep LACK OF DIESEL thread....

purdueXJ

Observer
What's the cost of ownership like in those mercedes diesels in the GC's, and the vm motori diesels in the libertys? I would think the vm motori diesels would be hard to get parts for.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
.....but they already build them in the USA! Make it a custom order option and don't stock them at the dealers.....I would custom order in a heartbeat if I could get a diesel.

As I stated, the 2011 Diesel could meet our emissions I think. I don't know what 'bin' we need to be on 'tier 2', but euro V falls on that table somewhere.

I don't see what the big stretch is for the manufacturer? They already sell them in just about every other country in the world! Are they afraid that the USA customers will like them too much and they won't be able to keep up with demand overseas? It's not like they don't produce a bunch of them already...

My theory....

They don't want to sell diesel vehicles because they last longer and get better mileage. The US public would then consume less vehicles and less fuel.
Look at USA diesel pickup sales!

x32792

Adventurer
.....but they already build them in the USA! Make it a custom order option and don't stock them at the dealers.....I would custom order in a heartbeat if I could get a diesel.

As I stated, the 2011 Diesel could meet our emissions I think. I don't know what 'bin' we need to be on 'tier 2', but euro V falls on that table somewhere.

I don't see what the big stretch is for the manufacturer? They already sell them in just about every other country in the world! Are they afraid that the USA customers will like them too much and they won't be able to keep up with demand overseas? It's not like they don't produce a bunch of them already...

My theory....

They don't want to sell diesel vehicles because they last longer and get better mileage. The US public would then consume less vehicles and less fuel.

Diesels last too long and get better milage. The goal is for customers to buy a new $30-40K rig every year, take the immediate 30% depreciation in value and buy lots of gasoline...It's a win-win situation for Big Oil, UAW, Automakers and the Federal Government who collects tax on every gallon of fuel you burn...Is this a great country or what? Besides, you don't need all that additional torque.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
What's the cost of ownership like in those mercedes diesels in the GC's, and the vm motori diesels in the libertys? I would think the vm motori diesels would be hard to get parts for.

I am not sure I can break it down to the penny..I think there is someone on JeepForum who has done that. I will try to find the post and link it.

jingram

Adventurer

I agree... the only problem I see with this is warranty service. There WILL be cost to train the dealership service network how to handle this powerplant and handle warranty claims. Diesel techs are different than your typical technician. That being said, I don't see this being a big deal. Sergio Marchionne has already stated that the goal is to have Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep all available at the same dealership. Clearly Dodge already has a lot of trained Diesel technicians in the field. This would nip that issue in the bud with minimal cost. However, until that happens, I could see this being a major sticking point from a CBA perspective. Even if they didn't want to offer them which I think they don't for the reasons you mention below!

My theory....

RockyRidge

Adventurer
I want to be added to the statistics as wanting a better engine. I am not hell bent on diesel or not. I can see the pros and cons.

My beef is in power. The JK is a dog and, I think Jeep will see sales begin to dwindle because of it. Every time I tow my camper or put my kayak on the top, I wish it had a better engine (and double digit gas mileage).

I love my JK and do not want to replace it with anything else. But please Jeep give us a decent engine! At least one built for the size of vehicle you are offering. A better motor is the only reason I would trade mine in.

Sorry, one more opinion. I think it is ridiculous to have to pay $15-$20K to add an aftermarket engine to a vehicle to get decent performance. The manufacture needs to step up and offer a good stock solution.

x32792

Adventurer

alosix

Expedition Leader
If the toledoblade.com (the hometown newspaper where Jeeps are made) can be believed, the new motor will be in the 2012 and there's a possible new pick up too.

Comments on new pick up: http://toledoblade.com/article/20110112/BUSINESS02/110119879

I love my gas guzzling 4L '01, but better gas milage, more HP and more torque would be much appreciated.

John

Hmm, that almost makes it sound like our biggest 2 issues are caused by the dodge brand managers.. Interesting.

Jason

srmitchell

Observer
Its such a bummer, because I know my family would gladly unload our cherry 04 grand cherokee, for a 2012 4 dr jk, if it had a diesel.

The fact that the jk gets the SAME mileage as my lifted 2001 xj on 32's, is sad.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Related note...

I called Cummins today for work. "hey, can I buy one of those ISF 3.8 engines in crate form?"....Cummins said, "no sir, there isn't enough interest in the domestic market for the small diesels. Would you be interested in a 4bt or b3.3?"

I just don't get it.....

reece146

Automotive Artist
The only people interested in diesels are diesel nerds. To everyone else they are pointless, slow, smelly things. Nowadays the modern diesels don't even have a decent ROI over a petrol engine.

jingram

Adventurer
The only people interested in diesels are diesel nerds. To everyone else they are pointless, slow, smelly things. Nowadays the modern diesels don't even have a decent ROI over a petrol engine.

Not quite sure where you get off saying that. It really depends on what premium one is paying for a diesel powerplant. Furthermore, hard to call a CRD slow or smelly. Have you even used a modern diesel say in a Volkswagen or BMW or Merc? Hardly slow, loud, or smelly.

Certainly the have their place and are far more flexible from a fuels perspective than their gasoline counterparts.

All I know is that I can go out and buy a 6speed JK Unlimited in Europe right now with a modern common rail diesel powerplant with start/stop technology no less that is rated 29.4 US MPG on the highway. My options here are buy a 3.8 dinosaur that is slated to end production in May which gets 19 US MPG on the highway. For the amount of time I own vehicles the price premium far outweighs the initial extra cost for me. Plus, we haven't even delved into the offroad benefits on the diesel.

idriveanxj

You're right. I read everywhere "everyone is asking for a diesel to be put in this or that." But really, the only people asking are the 5% of vehicle owners who are dedicated enough to their vehicles (or their modification) to join forums or groups (eg those diesel nerds). In reality if an option on a new vehicle is selected on less than 10% of the ones sold, that option is often dropped entirely.

Your average Joe who just drives a vehicle to get him from point A to point B could care less what engine he has. If anything all they have is brand loyalty. If it keeps them from walking, and meets whatever their specific requirements are met (be it cheap to buy and cheap to run, haul the family, or huge horse power, etc), they're happy.

Me on the other hand... I would crap my pants with joy if they came out with a Jeep pickup with a diesel engine. But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner