The 2011 Jeep LACK OF DIESEL thread....

Navman

Adventurer
I waited for two years on the hope that they would transition the CRD to the Wrangler, finally bought in 09', but would shed it tomorrow. I was reading one of the 4-wheel mags where they asked questions of the major mfg. And they asked everyone of them why they did not use more diesels, and pretty much every response was related to limited demand, but no mention of emissions. Which begs the question of how do we let them know there IS a market for this. I bought a 09' VW Jetta TDI and love that thing, so I might have to buy a touareg especially since it is kicking but in Dakar, they just need to take that race technology and bring it to the street.

Yeah, and we all know how good Detroit is at guaging demand. I seem to recall something about a government bailout recently.

jeepstream

Observer
I have a 2008.5 GC diesel that is my daily driver. I average 24 MPG on backroads to and from work. I also use it to tow our 24 foot Airstream. I can't think of a vehicle offered close to the price of my JK that would do a better job at both tasks. I would have bought a four-door JK if they offered the Daimler diesel version. That would be the ultimate Expedition vehicle.

Storz

Explorer
I have a 2008.5 GC diesel that is my daily driver. I average 24 MPG on backroads to and from work. I also use it to tow our 24 foot Airstream. I can't think of a vehicle offered close to the price of my JK that would do a better job at both tasks. I would have bought a four-door JK if they offered the Daimler diesel version. That would be the ultimate Expedition vehicle.

I am really, really tempted to start looking at the GC CRD and Liberty CRD as a replacement for the Rover. The gas is killing me, I drive 35 miles round trip to and from work and get 14-15mpg.

I do have a boat though, ~2500lbs (boat and trailer) could the Liberty tow it alright?

Jorsn

Adventurer
I have emailed Jeep multiple times asking why they can't offer a diesel for the JKU in the US. Still waiting for a response :coffee:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I am really, really tempted to start looking at the GC CRD and Liberty CRD as a replacement for the Rover. The gas is killing me, I drive 35 miles round trip to and from work and get 14-15mpg.

I do have a boat though, ~2500lbs (boat and trailer) could the Liberty tow it alright?

You would have a much better towing experience with the Grand Cherokee and get better fuel economy because the vehicle is not maxed out towing 2500 pounds.

Just food for thought. I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel Laredo that I could let go for the right price....it has been dealer serviced since new. I am the only owner. The truck has been awesome. It was my company car that I purchased last year. It is silver with 62,000 miles. It has the QT2 4wd system. Do a check on Autotrader and KBB for some ballpark prices. Never been offroad. I do have new Bilstein shocks in the rear and I am getting ready to install new Bilsteins in the front.

I am really wanting a pickup truck that is the only reason I would sell it....

1155622686_pNwmK-L.jpg

DSC06176-1.jpg

Last edited:

jeepstream

Observer
Never been offroad. :ylsmoke:

DSC06176-1.jpg

Great looking GC CRD! I was confused by look of the front then I realized you removed the black plastic between the foglights under the bumper.

Diesel GC's are very hard to find for sale. Someone needs to jump on Hyaena's offer! They are excellent tow vehicles. We pulled a 3,500 lbs. trailer from MD to Yellowstone and didn't even notice it even at 12,000 ft. in the mountains of Montana.

Storz

Explorer
Unfortunatly the GC (even at a good deal) is going to be out of my price range, sweet truck though!

JeffRRC

Adventurer
Nice! I didn't realize you could get the CRD in Laredo trim. Hyaena, I'm interested, will you please post some interior photos and list the options your truck has. Good looking vehicle!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Great looking GC CRD! I was confused by look of the front then I realized you removed the black plastic between the foglights under the bumper.

Diesel GC's are very hard to find for sale. Someone needs to jump on Hyaena's offer! They are excellent tow vehicles. We pulled a 3,500 lbs. trailer from MD to Yellowstone and didn't even notice it even at 12,000 ft. in the mountains of Montana.

OK you busted me...I guess I should have said occasional fire roads...but no rock climbing etc...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Nice! I didn't realize you could get the CRD in Laredo trim. Hyaena, I'm interested, will you please post some interior photos and list the options your truck has. Good looking vehicle!

Jeff after sleeping on it and changing the oil on my Jeep this afternoon I am not ready to part with the diesel yet. If I do decide I will look you up and give you a heads up. Unless you want to blow an offer out of the ceiling...just in case you have lots of money laying around :sombrero:

By the way you can get a CRD Laredo in 2008. Mine has every option except Nav and OT2. I just missed getting QT2...as that became an option a month after I ordered the Jeep as a company car. And for some reason I did not order Nav..which was not smart.

Fully loaded Laredo CRDs are few and far between.

Scott Brady

Founder
Diesel is not feasible for passenger SUVs until fuel hits $4.50 a gallon. People will simply not buy them in any quantity. VW is the one exception, but even they are slow to sell diesel SUVs.

We cannot blame the manufactures, as they cannot take risks with products they know consumers won't pay for.

Diesel Jeeps will come, but the fuel prices need to justify it first. It is an unfortunate fact.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Diesel is not feasible for passenger SUVs until fuel hits $4.50 a gallon. People will simply not buy them in any quantity. VW is the one exception, but even they are slow to sell diesel SUVs.

We cannot blame the manufactures, as they cannot take risks with products they know consumers won't pay for.

Diesel Jeeps will come, but the fuel prices need to justify it first. It is an unfortunate fact.

As a diesel owner can you elaborate on your $4.50 statement above.

Scott Brady

Founder
As a diesel owner can you elaborate on your $4.50 statement above.

That is straight from the product planners at the largest automotive manufacturer in the world ;)

It is just a threshold. They know that when fuel gets expensive enough, people will justify the cost of a diesel option in passenger vehicles. Most people don't drive quite enough to justify it, so they buy the cheaper gas version, which feels more smooth and powerful.

Trust me, I love diesels, and hope to only own diesels at some point. I drive a diesel Jeep nearly every day and love it, but we are currently in the minority :(

jingram

Adventurer
I can understand "not buying them in quantity" from a dealer network support perspective as their are a lot of ancilary support costs associated with a new powerplant, but have a hard time buying into it from a purely sales perspective. I think demand is there in reasonable quantities. There are a number of very niche automobiles that do just fine in the US Domestic Market and are profitable to their manufacturer. Look at anything from the Nissan Skyline to the new Ford Raptor.

The reality is that Jeep does not have to do any additional R&D to make this product happen as they are selling them overseas and meeting very strict Euro V regs (although we do have stricter NOx requirements). I think the CRD Liberty was a good indicator of how well this product would do. The Liberty was NEVER overly popular with the Jeep crowd and they still sold out of their run and far exceeded sales expectations.

You go on any forum and you have Jeep owners clamboring for a diesel option and plenty of guys dumping 15-25k in hemi swaps. Sure guys complain about the ever increasing cost of the Wrangler, but I almost guarentee you that you would sell 15K diesel units a year without breaking a sweat even at a 3-5k premium simply because of the low end torque and better mileage provided vs. the current 3.8 power plant. I think this would happen regardless of how long the break even point would be for most buyers, as we aren't talking about your average American consumer, you are talking about the whole Jeep/Off-Road subculture. I think if there was ever a model in this market segment that could make a diesel offering work for a manufacturer it is the Wrangler.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner