The 2011 Jeep LACK OF DIESEL thread....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Because they get better mileage, last longer, and you at least have a chance at making your own fuel....

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
I was looking to buy a 2010 JK. Ended up buying a 2007 Land Rover LR3. I just could not get over the lack of power with the current 3.8.

Following my discussions with the dealers, I received a call from Chrysler Customer Services asking why I did not purchase a JK. My reply was simply, "...if the Jeep had a diesel engine in it, it would be sitting in my driveway right now."

Silence on the other end of the phone.

C.

96discoXD

Adventurer
I was looking to buy a 2010 JK. Ended up buying a 2007 Land Rover LR3. I just could not get over the lack of power with the current 3.8.

Following my discussions with the dealers, I received a call from Chrysler Customer Services asking why I did not purchase a JK. My reply was simply, "...if the Jeep had a diesel engine in it, it would be sitting in my driveway right now."

Silence on the other end of the phone.

C.

Congratulations, you may have purchased the only vehicle less reliable than a JK, an LR3! :D (just teasing as a former LR owner myself)

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Congratulations, you may have purchased the only vehicle less reliable than a JK, an LR3! :D (just teasing as a former LR owner myself)

FWIW - not a single major issue whatsoever with this vehicle. We love it. The only issue I have ever had was caused by me. Fuel sender in the fuel tank went sproing after I bashed the tank skid off-roading.

...almost 5K pounds worth of Land Rover and I still get around 17 mpg and I can tow 7K.

I'll take it. :victory:

Silverdiesel

Happy owner here of a 06 Liberty KJ CRD:
2.8 L I4 VM Motori, 160 HP, 300 Ft/LBS Torque 1650-2800RPM, redline 4000RPM
1800bar max, common rail injection, Bosch CP3 IP
4 Valves/cylinder, VVT Turbo, CAC, 35-45 lbs max boost
31 Hwy Diesel fuel
5K towing capacity.....
NV242 behind a 545RFE "Hemi" style 5 speed overdrive....
I can go on AND this is all Stock!

I love this truck and I wont trade it but would love to put a JK CRD next to it in the garage.

RS
P.S DC made approx 16000 of these in 05 and 06...

Last edited:

96discoXD

Adventurer
FWIW - not a single major issue whatsoever with this vehicle. We love it. The only issue I have ever had was caused by me. Fuel sender in the fuel tank went sproing after I bashed the tank skid off-roading.

...almost 5K pounds worth of Land Rover and I still get around 17 mpg and I can tow 7K.

I'll take it. :victory:

I looked at LR3's, but was nervous about the ghost of Lucas still haunting the newest (at the time) offering from LR. Sound like a pretty decent package if it's getting 17mpg and that much tow rating to boot.

Back on topic: Is there a source for the 2.8vm domestically? Sometimes I think I should just move my family overseas to Europe where you can buy real vehicles instead of all the crap we get here in the states.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
liberty CRD was about the only source domestically for the 2.8VM.

The JK, even the previous gen, used a different version than the Liberty.

The 2.8 CRD from the Libby can be swapped in the TJ, AEV did it in like 2006. They won't do another one, but it was possible.

From my reading, the euro V emissions of the new 2011 JK CRD meets the current US standards for Tier 2, bin 6, USA emissions. The sticking point is NOx quanity? I haven't found very good EPA standards listed for passenger vehicles in the USA.

96discoXD

Adventurer
liberty CRD was about the only source domestically for the 2.8VM.

The JK, even the previous gen, used a different version than the Liberty.

The 2.8 CRD from the Libby can be swapped in the TJ, AEV did it in like 2006. They won't do another one, but it was possible.

From my reading, the euro V emissions of the new 2011 JK CRD meets the current US standards for Tier 2, bin 6, USA emissions. The sticking point is NOx quanity? I haven't found very good EPA standards listed for passenger vehicles in the USA.

Very interesting stuff Metcalf, I had assumed that part of the reason we couldn't get the diesel here was that it wouldn't or couldn't (without great additional expense per vehicle) meet the newer EPA standards. Maybe that was just blind faith on my part the Chrysler and their ilk couldn't possibly be so obtuse as to deny us a diesel wrangler without a very sound business rationale. While I understand that they're selling the JK's, particularly JKU's as fast as they can send them to the dealers for the most part, there is no question from an enthusiasts point of view that there are people opting not to buy any JK due to the lack of a diesel.

alosix

Expedition Leader

Asking questions about this Jeep is the quickest way to end a conversation with a normally talkative Dave Harrington.

I've had it happen 2x :)

JeffRRC

Adventurer
Here is a gentleman on jeepforum that owned and sold a 2.8 VM diesel powered JKU. It was absolutely beautiful. I will try to furnish a link. I seem to remember that he purchased the engine and had it installed in Colorado and later moved to Georgia.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Not selling a diesel Jeep here makes as much sense as Mercedes not selling 4x4 Sprinters. There's a demand for both, but the manufacturers don't think the extra pricing would be worth the risk and extra certification and support costs.

They obviously need to look at VW, where a larger and larger percentage of their sales are going diesel. Small diesels could be what differentiates them from GM and Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner