The 2011 Jeep LACK OF DIESEL thread....

alosix

Expedition Leader
Most of the details of the AEV conversion are in this thread. Dave didn't give away the programming or anything, but he did tell how it was done.

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=219&highlight=diesel

Yeah.. I was bugging him @ SEMA a while before that was put up.

I finally figured out what programing was done when chatting back and forth about getting my Hemi 545RFE to shift right in the 725.

The hard part is the CANBus auto's in newer DC vehicles, which unfortunately include the CRD KJs need the speed on the bus from somewhere before they will attempt to shift. Most pull this from the anti-lock brake sensors now instead of a trans mounted VSS. The 'little black box' that gets that TJ working is likely something pulling the VSS signal out and putting it on the can bus, while pulling all of the dash stuff off the CAN bus and converting it into the PCI bus that TJ's dash was using.

Wow, soo off topic.

But to get on topic.

The ONLY WAY I'll every buy a NEW JEEP is if it is a DIESEL PERIOD. There just isn't a compelling reason to lay out that much $$ anymore for a new JK for me. I'll buy used if I ever get the itch for a 4 door again.

Jason

JeffRRC

Adventurer
There is a gentleman on jeepforum that owned and sold a 2.8 VM diesel powered JKU. It was absolutely beautiful. I will try to furnish a link. I seem to remember that he purchased the engine and had it installed in Colorado and later moved to Georgia.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
There is a gentleman on jeepforum that owned and sold a 2.8 VM diesel powered JKU. It was absolutely beautiful. I will try to furnish a link. I seem to remember that he purchased the engine and had it installed in Colorado and later moved to Georgia.

Yep...he sold it for absolutely stupid coin. I cannot believe someone actually paid that much for it.

JeffRRC

Adventurer
Well it was more than I could afford but compared to what people get for hemi-powered JKs, I thought it was not bad.

Vizoo

Adventurer
I have just bought my JKU, it is still waiting for me to go to Miami to get it at the dealer. But if a diesel version is put on sale tomorrow I will buy it without even seating on the "old" one. :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Well.....still thinking about it....

I guess you can import a complete vehicle for research and development. I would plan to research and develop a way to swap the body over from a 2011 USA model JK. While it would be EXPENSIVE for sure, you would end up with a diesel powered JK you could have registered and insured on the road, and a gas powered JK to drive around the ranch ( or a bunch of spare parts ).

I would really like to do a light little 2-door JK lightweight expedition vehicle. It would be diesel powered of course, Rubicon package, a little 2-3" lift, and 35" tires. Add some simple light aluminum bumpers, light winch, aluminum skidplates in select areas, etc....

Ah to dream...

haven

Expedition Leader
Earlier this week, the Chrysler CEO told reporters at the Detroit Auto Show that Jeep is ready to start selling the Grand Cherokee in Europe with a Fiat diesel V6 under the hood. But he was reluctant to approve diesel engines for sale in USA. Canada, maybe, but not USA.

schmugboy

Observer
Me Too

I waited for two years on the hope that they would transition the CRD to the Wrangler, finally bought in 09', but would shed it tomorrow. I was reading one of the 4-wheel mags where they asked questions of the major mfg. And they asked everyone of them why they did not use more diesels, and pretty much every response was related to limited demand, but no mention of emissions. Which begs the question of how do we let them know there IS a market for this. I bought a 09' VW Jetta TDI and love that thing, so I might have to buy a touareg especially since it is kicking but in Dakar, they just need to take that race technology and bring it to the street.

F5driver

Adventurer
How do the latest diesel engines do in the cold? While hunting in Nov my friend could not start his 7.3 powerstroke when the weather was sub 0. My JK had no problem with the cold.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Most modern diesels have very limited problems in the cold. You do need more starting capacity, but not starting is a non-issue.

Storz

Explorer
How do the latest diesel engines do in the cold? While hunting in Nov my friend could not start his 7.3 powerstroke when the weather was sub 0. My JK had no problem with the cold.

Our Jetta TDI starts great all the time, no issues with the cold.

ernestgj

My '05 Liberty CRD usually starts down to 0. -10F is a no-go and a couple times at around 5 F it hasn't started after sitting overnight.

0-40w synthetic oil and an Optima red top battery.

It has made me rethink a (Jeep) diesel for my next truck (assuming they come out with one someday).

RedRocker

Adventurer
Our Jetta TDI starts great all the time, no issues with the cold.

We have an 09 JSW that has been flawless. I gave up waiting for Jeep to
pull their heads out and offer a diesel. I went with an 06 LJ Rubicon, a diesel would be very tempting, but I really like the LJ, cept for the lack of power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner