The "Az Crew" Thread

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I've been having "fun" putting Jorge's 83 Mighty Max's front brakes back together, as I'm slow at things, to say the least. We discovered Saturday that since he let things go for so long that the grinding sound on the passenger side was the piston in the caliper grinding directly on the rear side of the rotor. The caliper was known to have been sticking and it ate up the pads we put in it last summer to the point that the outer pad was down to the backing plate, but the inner pad went further and actually disappeared.

This creates problems, it should be noted. Evidently, metal particles start to fly around and stick to things, like the spindle. When we removed the bearing retainer nut, it had to be wrenched the entire way off, despite constant spraying with lube. Consequently, the nut's threads were trashed and the outer threads on the spindle may be damaged to the point that a new spindle might be required. Jorge went to Pull-A-Part on Sunday and got two more spindle nuts in the hopes that we can run one in and back out to square away most of the spindle threads before putting the hub back on and using the second nut to retain it and torque the bearings. If not, he'll be searching for a newer spindle and new ball joints.

The shop press once again proved to be the easy answer to seating the new bearing races and the inner bearing seals. There's just no going wrong with the proper sized seating disc from the Harbor Freight set (72 mm) to set the four races in (dry of course), then flip the tapered disc over to flat and set the inner seal down nice and even. The new discs were bolted on first so I wouldn't kick any garbage down into the new bearings that I'd packed and stored in Ziplock bags since the weekend. I put the driver's side hub back on but haven't tried to mess with the messed up passenger side yet. Messing with the "it sort of fits" GM hub socket is a P.I.T.A., since the two tabs on the socket slip out of the adjusting holes so easily while trying to get the spec torque on the bearings to initially seat them. Even with a second person sitting on the ground and placing a foot against the socket while the other turns it with a breaker bar, it's tough to even get it to 80 ft-lbs. If someone stumbles upon the actual, real socket for this, it would be nice to have one local that we could share.

I also knocked out a bum wheel stud and put in a new one, easy any time, but especially so when the hub is just sitting there, since you can get a hammer to the back side of it to ********** it in. As usual, my trusty board is always under the hub(s) any time I'm pressing or hammering on them.

The rebuilt calipers look decent and the new brake soft lines are correct, so hopefully this will be done soon and Jorge can start driving it again and I can have both my driveway space and my '95 back, since that's all he's got to drive while both his '89 SWB and this '83 are on jack stands in front of my house. Anybody got a cattle prod I can use to get him working on this stuff? J.K. I've been around a farm and those things look like they'd leave burns.

John B.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Sounds like a ton of work Johnny B, but it also sounds like you enjoy wrenching on Monteros.

The front brakes on my new Montero are in need of work and I hope they are not as far gone as Jorge's because I've never worked on brakes before and am hoping it is just pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
IncX compound has been an small hub of activity lately. As my neighbor prepares his wrangler on 1 tons for a trip to KOTH, I'm just trying to get my rig up and running. :ylsmoke:

I've got the chassis pretty much ready, cross member is all cut and ready to weld, adam will probably weld up the drive shafts in his sleep, speaking of welding, we recently picked up 100 feet of 2x3 box tubing and whipped up a gantry to lift my white truck's body off the 2wd chassis and onto a 4wd chassis, it's also tasked with lifting a large awning into place in front of my garage, so that's why it's so ungodly big, but it needs more bracing before it gets to work.

IMG_0365.jpg

Once I'm done welding up the cross member I've got to pull the trans off, change the filter and kick down cable for the 4 cylinder style, then inspect the valvebody. This transmission came out of Lloyds red truck and came with a converter with a lower stall. It's been sitting for while so I wanna give it a once over. I'm going to be running a delica converter from a 4x4 4D56 van. Basically looks identical to a v6 converter, likely is the same, I think I've said that before though.. maybe someone with the parts program will take a look some time :cough: JB :cough:

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

Oh, in other news, Toasty mightve fixed my E350, so my turbo diesel tow/camp rig might be back in action soon.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Sounds like a ton of work Johnny B, but it also sounds like you enjoy wrenching on Monteros.

The front brakes on my new Montero are in need of work and I hope they are not as far gone as Jorge's because I've never worked on brakes before and am hoping it is just pads.

It's pretty easy to just inspect them, especially on later model years since the calipers are a lot easier to remove and replace. It pretty much takes longer to remove the wheels after jacking it up and putting the jack stands under it than it does to replace the pads. Glad to help on weekends if you want to bring it by sometime. I'm in central Phoenix.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
This transmission came out of Lloyds red truck and came with a converter with a lower stall. It's been sitting for while so I wanna give it a once over. I'm going to be running a delica converter from a 4x4 4D56 van. Basically looks identical to a v6 converter, likely is the same, I think I've said that before though.. maybe someone with the parts program will take a look some time :cough: JB :cough:

Not really sure how to proceed with helping. If you need me to look up and compare parts, I need VIN's from the original vehicles, then "maybe" the ASA program actually recognizes them and would allow me to look up part numbers. ASA can be pretty exclusive sometimes, in that, it excludes a lot of models.

John B.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Yeah i was wondering if the edition you have contains canadian vehicles. If it does I'll find a suitable vin and next time im over your way we can punch in some digits.

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Does anyone have any fence or unused gate hardware? I need to install a 10' rv gate thing over at Shovel's pad so I can store some projects there. I kind of mentioned it to him in passing but I figured I would get the project going and deal with him later after I drop my stuff off in his backyard…..

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
That's the spirit, Amphi, 1) Drop off stuff, then 2)Deal with owner of property where stuff has been dropped off. In that order. That way he won't be expecting you to drop stuff off, and by that notion, he won't be ready with pastel colored spray paint to redecorate said stuff.

On another note, the kind and beautiful Hope has gifted me a GoPro Hero 4 Session. For those not familiar, it's a camera the size of a Playskool block and it's waterproof as is. I also received a suction cup mount for the top/side of a vehicle. This of course, must be tested in the wild. I shall be ready to wheel and to record the antics of the AZ Crew, subject to a signed release and contract negotiations.

The brake project on Jorge's 83 Max has been completed. The replacement spindle nut worked and we were able to set the bearings. In fact I think we were actually able to crank around 100 ft-lbs on them to seat everything before relaxing the nut to zero and resetting to about 15 before placing the retainer. He'll be putting his 31" BFG A/T KM-1's on the Gen 2 alloys back on since his 89 doesn't need them. The next time his 89 rolls out it'll be on the 33x10.5-15 BFG KM-2's he has in waiting, plus they'll also be on Gen 2 alloys he has painted up in a special sexy shade of grey wheel enamel. All he has to do is actually work on the thing. Oh well, one vehicle at a time, right?

John B.

Amphibeast

Adventurer
That's the spirit, Amphi, 1) Drop off stuff, then 2)Deal with owner of property where stuff has been dropped off. In that order. That way he won't be expecting you to drop stuff off, and by that notion, he won't be ready with pastel colored spray paint to redecorate said stuff.

On another note, the kind and beautiful Hope has gifted me a GoPro Hero 4 Session. For those not familiar, it's a camera the size of a Playskool block and it's waterproof as is. I also received a suction cup mount for the top/side of a vehicle. This of course, must be tested in the wild. I shall be ready to wheel and to record the antics of the AZ Crew, subject to a signed release and contract negotiations.

The brake project on Jorge's 83 Max has been completed. The replacement spindle nut worked and we were able to set the bearings. In fact I think we were actually able to crank around 100 ft-lbs on them to seat everything before relaxing the nut to zero and resetting to about 15 before placing the retainer. He'll be putting his 31" BFG A/T KM-1's on the Gen 2 alloys back on since his 89 doesn't need them. The next time his 89 rolls out it'll be on the 33x10.5-15 BFG KM-2's he has in waiting, plus they'll also be on Gen 2 alloys he has painted up in a special sexy shade of grey wheel enamel. All he has to do is actually work on the thing. Oh well, one vehicle at a time, right?

John B.

lol... I was hoping he would catch the thread here first and bath in the humor & willingness of others to jump in..... one can only hope in this day & age! lol.... I have a small arsenal of gopros & handicam. Im looking to get more cams & jibs too..... Im down for making movies! I need some good editing software tho!.....

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
The only editing software I have to this point is the GoPro studio one that I need to import the raw camera footage to my computer. I figure I'll play with that for a bit to see how to edit and splice plus add a soundtrack or music and come up with a two minute segment to make my home country proud. Well, maybe not my home country. Maybe not any country, really.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I got a text from Castlerock today, implying he was in CA, picking up the 95 SR he bought from Perry Way that was in the for sale section on FB. I guess he likes it, so we'll have to make sure he gets it scratched and dented the right way soon. I told him he gets 100 bonus points for getting a picture of him, the SR and an AWD Astro van in the same frame since he likes those things so much too.

I hear rumors that the IncX team and HoseB may be going to Show Low to finally retrieve the 90 SWB that's been sleeping under a snow blanket since HoseB paid for it a couple of months ago. If he's lucky, maybe he'll even find the key for it before he goes to get it. "Maybe" it's around here somewhere...not quite sure.

Jorge seems satisfied with just having brakes on his 83 Max, since he hasn't done squat on his 89, unless you want to call unbolting the 8 fasteners that hold the lower ball joints to the already-removed lower control arms last weekend. Seriously, that's all he's done in weeks. Like I need another SWB on jack stands in my driveway...

Toasty and I were thinking of wheeling this weekend, but I would need to make it Saturday since Sunday is Hope's b-day and there's some sort of televised sporting event later in the day. That day might be 'toast' for him, though, since he has to be careful about plans or his bread might not get buttered.

John B.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Messing with the "it sort of fits" GM hub socket is a P.I.T.A., since the two tabs on the socket slip out of the adjusting holes so easily while trying to get the spec torque on the bearings to initially seat them. Even with a second person sitting on the ground and placing a foot against the socket while the other turns it with a breaker bar, it's tough to even get it to 80 ft-lbs. If someone stumbles upon the actual, real socket for this, it would be nice to have one local that we could share.

John B.

Done. I bought one on ebay so the az crew will have one to use starting in about a week.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
You are THE MAN. I have my 95 up high on the floor jack right now, trying again to get all the air out of my cooling system, and I need to set my front wheel bearings. I think I'll blow it off for a week now, though. Although, the way it wanders around drives me freakin' crazy, so I may still try anyway. Jorge will need to use it, if possible, fairly soon, too.

John B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk