The "big 4" survival firearms are:

timber

Adventurer
I love my 45s but I have had one of these Springfields for a lot of miles and think that if I was screwed for any length of time it would work out well. Its compact and easy to store, breaks down it to two pieces, onboard ammo storage and is usable with a gloved or damaged hand. They are no longer made but still out there. Here is a article on one.
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/m6.html

Joash

Adventurer
I know that the AK vs. AR debate is as old as the hills and both have their points, but the AK definitely thrives with poor maintenance. Take a look at some of the conflict spots around the world (Sudan, the Congo, Afghanistan) and you will see very cheaply manufactured AKs lasting forever under the worst possible conditions in the hands of very poorly trained gunmen or even children.
Yep. I prefer .40 and .45

Not sure why the AK is not on that list. So simple a caveman can maintain it :)

Dark Stranger

If we do come to a SHTF situation, that choice is difficult to argue with. However, one should also note that going with less expensive counterparts allows one to spend money on other items that may be necessary in such a situation (for example, more ammo, solar panels, food and 1st aid kid items, etc).

Chili

Explorer
Setting particular makes aside, and thinking about caliber / effective range, etc., I have a proposal, just for the sake of argument. And I expect argument will ensue :)....

I think you are overestimating the shotgun and underestimating the 5.56. IMO 100 yards is on the far end of effectiveness on a rifled slug, and although a sabot slug in a rifled barrel will be better, you're then talking about needing another barrel and still only getting out to that 150 yards.

I also feel that limiting a 5.56 to 200 yards is a gross understatement. I would push that to 300 yards, at least, and more if you have magnified optics.

Now factor in recoil, capacity and velocity, and there really is no comparison and I would not treat them as overlapping or interchangeable in any way.

A scoped Ar15 would replace a .308, 30-30, 7mm much more effectively, in your examples, than a shotgun would replace it. IMHO of course. :) In fact, I would be more willing to give up the handgun to keep the Ar15, than any of your suggestions.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Interesting discussion.
I have
3 .22, 2 rifles and 1 pistol
1 Ruger M77 .30-06 w/ Leopold 3-9x50 (solid at 300 yrds)
1 Remington 22-250 w/ Bushnell 3-9x40
1 Remington 870 12ga.
1 30-40 Craig
1 side by side 12 ga.
and as of tomorrow I will have a Glock 17 gen 4 and a Taurus 709 slim

On my list of wants is still a
.300 RUM on a Rem 700 frame from Christensen Arms
AR15 in 5.56/223
.17 HMR preferably a 17/22 by Clark Customs
1911 Springfield
And I want another shotgun one day.

As for survival, it would depend on what your surviving from. A good 300, 30-06 can score you food/hide that many couldn't. Zombie apocalypse (haha) give me the AR and the Glock 18c with lots of ammo. Location also plays a factor as is with most hunting, the stalk vs the blind depends a lot on location so there for your firearm choice probably should reflect that as well. Defense is a whole other topic I suppose and for that an AR, shotgun, and Glock 18 would be ideal. Above all else none of this matters unless we have the ammo to go with it. I am trying to keep my pistols the same caliber for the most part and keep ammo reasonable so the 9mm allows me to shoot a lot and store a lot without breaking the bank.
Thats my 2 cents

Chili

Explorer
Thanks for the input.

And as I mentioned, just my opinion of course. But I have had or used .308 and 30-30 hunting rifles, AR15 / M16's, shotguns and several calibers of handguns.

If I had one firearm in a civilized environment I would want a .40 or .45 auto with at least 2 x 10+ round capacity magazines, 4-5 inch barrel.
If only one in a apocalyptic situation I would want a SBR (Short Barrel Rifle) AR15 in .223 / 5.56.
Two weapons, I would want the same handgun and a 16.5"+ AR15.
Three I would add the shotgun.
Four I would add but have trouble deciding between a semiauto .22LR or a .308 or 30.06 hunting rifle.
Five would be the handgun, AR15, .22LR, shotgun and "hunting" rifle.

In those expanded scenarios the hunting rifle would really be purposed as a sniper rifle, as I would rather engage threats at a distance rather than < 100 yards. And those would be more likely to be one shot, one kill weapons. I would also assume that I would have at least one family member / friend manning the rifle, one on the AR15 and one on the shotgun, for the varying ranges and levels of defense.

If ammo is a concern, and I was trying to limit firearms based on that, I would stick with 9mm. Although I have no statistics to support this opinion, I'd be willing to wager there are more types and availability of 9mm chambered firearms out there than any other.

.22lr (via ruger 10-22 and marlin papoose)
.223 (via saiga ak)
12ga, (via 870 knockoff)
7.62x54r (via m44 mosin nagant)
9mm and .40sw ( via glock 23 with 9mm conversion barrel)

zimm

Expedition Leader
4 survival guns? what are you surviving with? an armorer and an african slave to carry all this thru the jungle?

im not a shotgun man, as there are other guns that do specific tasks much better, but if you need a platform to "survive" with, thats the platform.

Cody1771

Explorer
cool discussion, as nice as it would be to carry 200lbs of ammo and guns i think i would just stick with my good ole S&W model 29, accurate, packs a wallop, can shoot shot shells. and probably a rugar 10/22 for hunting small game. otherwise the rest of my pack will be survival/fishing gear.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
For what I would consider "survival", as in you are on your own for an extended period, living in a cabin in the woods, semi-autos are too finicky in the long term. And I wouldn't want anything that requires a detachable magazine that can be lost or broken. So, the pump 870 is fine, but for the others I would want tried-n-true lever or bolt actions that work, every time. Something like this:

Remington 870 12 gauge
Winchester 94 30-30
Marlin 39A 22LR
Almost any revolver in .357

Not sexy choices I know, but these will be working while you are busy scraping the carbon out of your action. :ylsmoke:

Cody1771

Explorer
i really like the concept of the AR7, i was looking at a 10/22 takedown to take on my bike but i think the fact that the AR7 is self contained, waterproof, and floats it wins out. would be a great gun to keep on the bike/in the car when out in the woods. and the price is pretty sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk