The bigger the truck, the greater the (misplaced?) concern about payload?

I always get a chuckle when I see truck owners--particularly HD truck drivers--wringing their hands over their payload numbers when we seem to be surrounded by Tacoma and Wrangler drivers with every piece of overlanding accoutrement strewn all over their vehicles without a care about rear-end sag or ridiculous stopping distances? Is it because we tend to use our rigs to tow--where payload REALLY matters--or is it something else? Ignorance is bliss for the mid-size crowd?

stevo_pct

I think you're on to something. I think the Tacoma drivers (or any mid-sized to full sized trucks) are not paying enough attention to payload, and they should be. And on the other hand, HD trucks like 250/2500 are too concerned about it. If you're driving an F250, you basically have the payload capacity of an F350, there is very little structural difference - it's mostly regulatory. But mid-sized and full sized (150 class) vehicles are often way overloaded. Not just per the sticker on the door, but it terms of actual design limitations. Maybe not to dangerous levels, but certaintly more of a concern compared to 250/2500 vs 350/3500.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
A over loaded 350 is going to weigh a hell of allot more than a over loaded Tacoma. The negative outcome has exponentially worse results with 2-3x the weight. So its kinda good the bigger truck guys might seem more concerned than the toy truck guys?

NoTraxx

I think that most of us that are using full sized are already past the bolt on stage. Not saying that there are not some serious examples of the bolt on queens in the 1/2. 3/4 and 1ton crowd, just fewer. It seems to lesson as the weight class goes up.
Not really sure about the hand wringing, I see that on line and not in the real world.

tacollie

Glamper
Like to answer that's pretty easy. Most people buy an HD truck are buying them for capacity. People buy midsizes because they're easier to drive, ride better, and often get better mileage. Then they overload them.

I do love how on the internet overloaded vehicles or ticking time bombs and death traps. That were the case traffic deaths in Colorado would be significantly higher. Being over GVWR almost seems like a requirement here ?

Macfly

While I was having my suspension upgraded at CJC they told me that the biggest difference between the 250 & 350 is the air pressure in the tires (80psi in my stockers!) and the sticker saying the GVR numbers!:oops: I kind of feel like I could have just bought a 250 and saved on the taxes etc.

NoTraxx

If you Compare the F250 to the F 350 SRW there are only a few differences, like bed length and rear spring packs. However if you bring the DRW in the picture then the rear axle and wheel size. Also the rear spring pack really gets beefy. Personally having had all three a 250 and 350 SRW and 350 DRW it steps up with each.
For me personally, I want a F350 SCREW SRW gasser.

ExpoMike

I think the thing that is somewhat frustration is how wildly 3/4 and 1 ton ratings have changes. Today's 3/4 ton have payload rates and GVWR above what 1 tons had 15-20 years ago. It seems camper companies are making their campers for weights of modern truck payloads so when you see, "built for a 3/4 ton truck", it's not build for my 2000 Ram 2500 but a 2020 Ram 2500. With new truck prices costing more than the last two new cars I have bought, combined, it would be 20 years before I can afford one and be in the same situation. Oh well....

CFMGarage

I'm pretty sure my RAM 3500 Cummins has twice the payload of a equally equipped RAM 2500 Cummins. If you took a 2500 and loaded it to my 11,700 gvw I doubt the two trucks would drive the same. You'd be on the bump stops in the 2500, so it's more than just tire pressure.

I've always wondered, in practice, what liability is there if you get in to an injury accident and are way over your sticker payload? I've assumed that it wouldn't be good news, but you never hear about that sort of thing.

The overall truck being over payload doesn't get me nearly as much as the overloaded roof rack does though. I'd much rather see an overloaded Tacoma with everything secured inside the Alu-cab camper, than a RAM 3500 under payload, but they have a 150lb spare tire strapped to a roof rack over the cab. I just hope those few rivets stay put in the event of a major deceleration. I know someone that is paralyzed because a bolted down toolbox ripped loose during a crash and the driver's seat was in the path. Make sure you're securing items based on their weight appropriately no matter what you drive.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Most midsized have fairly similar payload ratings to most half tons.

Here in the corn belt it is mainly the bigger trucks doing sketchy crap. How high can we stack big round bales, gotta ferry the grain cart, how many anhydrous tanks can we pull etc.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure my RAM 3500 Cummins has twice the payload of a equally equipped RAM 2500 Cummins. If you took a 2500 and loaded it to my 11,700 gvw I doubt the two trucks would drive the same. You'd be on the bump stops in the 2500, so it's more than just tire pressure.
The Ram 3500 has leaf springs in the rear...the Ram 2500 has coil springs in the rear so you are correct about the Rams.

The Fords and Chevy's not as much

dbhost

Not sure it is no concern among the mid size / half ton crowd. I am doing an F150 overlander and I have to be VERY careful about weight of the loaded camper. However to be blunt, when you leave enough space for a person to actually sleep in it, a camper shell camper really doesn't have enough room to get stupid with overloading it. I crunched the numbers, including the loaded fridge, pantries (5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal Lids) and 28 gallons fresh water, I am still under 700lbs of load. My max payload is 1770lbs. My tires are massively upgraded to load range E and I am running upgraded dimpled and slotted rotors / brakes. My concern is not with how much I am carrying so much as keeping the transmission temps down when pulling mountains. Even with the towing package, it still has a tiny trans cooler...

Would I prefer to have a HD pickup? Absolutely, but budget is what it is, I mean seriously even 20 year old used 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are regularly fetching $20K plus. And that is for a well used truck, not some low mileage pristine driveway queen.

85_Ranger4x4

The Ram 3500 has leaf springs in the rear...the Ram 2500 has coil springs in the rear so you are correct about the Rams.

The Fords and Chevy's not as much

2500 Ram has air suspension available too.

Not sure the difference would be that huge. F-150 has had gvw packages over half of that 3500 for over 20 years. I would assume even as coil spring 2500 would have more than a half ton.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner