The bigger the truck, the greater the (misplaced?) concern about payload?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The F150 has like 110 possible variations that directly impacts load capacity be it axle/gearing, power plant, trim version/weight etc. I see posts like this and it typically created by a guy who bought a small truck that basically comes in one general format with very slight changes to trim. Taco basically is a one trick Pony that either gets 4x4 or 2wheel drive and thats it.

You can have 2 F150’s parked next to each other and under the skin they can be mechanically quite different regarding load and critical equipment like gearing etc.

Same for my Expedition it’s definitely mechanically different than my neighbors basic awd mini van Expedition which looks similar but definitely has sizable mechanical differences than my heavy tow pack Expedition. This is something Toyota buyers don’t understand till they buy a big vehicle and realize they bought the wrong version because they thought all 1500’s were the same or they figure out there are considerably different versions they need to research and then double check they are actually getting the one with gear set X vs Y etc.

ChasingOurTrunks

I think you're on to something. I think the Tacoma drivers (or any mid-sized to full sized trucks) are not paying enough attention to payload, and they should be. And on the other hand, HD trucks like 250/2500 are too concerned about it. If you're driving an F250, you basically have the payload capacity of an F350, there is very little structural difference - it's mostly regulatory. But mid-sized and full sized (150 class) vehicles are often way overloaded. Not just per the sticker on the door, but it terms of actual design limitations. Maybe not to dangerous levels, but certaintly more of a concern compared to 250/2500 vs 350/3500.

I don’t disagree that mid-sizers are often overloaded - I’m a bit of a soap-box’er on this issue across the forums. But, one point of clarification — the payloads of the mid-size trucks are for set for regulatory reasons too, and are not necessarily connected directly to the vehicle design. Midsize trucks around the world typically can haul a lot more than their counterparts in North America, and this is becoming more and more clear as companies move towards “global” platforms. The example that I often look to is the DMax/Canyon comparison, since I have a Canyon. It’s the same frame as the DMax, and it appears as though there are a lot of other shared components as well that would be relevant (same part numbers for brake upgrades for both vehicles, for instance). But, the DMax gets a payload of almost a thousand pounds more than the Canyon. The reason - as far as I can discern — appears to be that is that in the US, CAFE standards classify vehicles based on GVWR, and so manufacturers put their lifestyle trucks in a lower classification to meet fleet emissions. Canada follows the US, so we’re in the same boat. The Ford Ranger similarly has a greater payload in Australia than in NA, though Ford claims they had to make quite a few changes to the platform for the NA model, and are not clear about what those changes are.

That being said, the number of ”mid-size” trucks (which are just…normal trucks for the rest of the world) that I see coming out of Australia bent right behind the cab is way more than what we seem to have in the US; I understand that this is largely due to towing off road though, and less about a load in the bed (Depending on where the rear axle is located).

And the question is - I’m not an engineer, so I don’t know, but where’s the buffer? Sure the frames and brakes are the same. What about wheel bearings? Axles? U-Joints? Etc. - there may be other components that are significantly down rated in NA trucks; while I believe the reason for the downgrade in payload is regulatory, that’s not to say car manufacturers won’t go for lighter components in the NA versions of these vehicles to save a few bucks. So, the moral of the story - stick with what the sticker says you can carry. But you won’t be in a death trap if you are a few hundred pounds over.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
In the US, much of the listed GVWR is related to vehicle class, which has everything to do with regulation and $$$

fotw707.gif

As mentioned above, most ‘modern’ Ford 3/4 and 1-ton SRW trucks are essentially the same. (2006 to roughly 2021)
Same axles, same shafts, same chassis, same engine/trans, etc, etc...
Typically the only thing separating them is the listed GVWR, front spring rates, and rear axle block heights.

Depending upon where you are, costs associated to GVWR and cost may play into your truck decision.

I choose to go with a high GVWR 3/4 ton truck and high load tires. 10k GVWR, 4080lb (each) tires, and "overload it" to 1-ton ratings.
And if you look into the ACTUAL ratings of front and rear axles, we are still WELL within limits.

Last edited:

NoTraxx

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh, not so much. Maybe go take a look at the actual specs….Even within the model spring rates differ with packages. The camper or 9900 package for instance.
Take a look at the wheels, they even have a different weight rating.
The rear axles are different between the F 250 and F350 DRW Dana 60 to Dana 80.
Even in the F 150 line. The HDPP vs the Max Tow Package. The HDPP has a 850lb greater GVWR. I wanted to know why, so I started looking at the components. A 2 leaf rear spring pack vs a 3 leaf, higher weight rated wheels 18” for the HDPP vs the 20” on the Max T, both have the heavier frame. The Max tow can tow more and the HDPP has a higher payload.
So at least for Ford the details matter.
So it is a little more complicated than you may want it to be.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh, not so much. Maybe go take a look at the actual specs….Even within the model spring rates differ with packages. The camper or 9900 package for instance.
Take a look at the wheels, they even have a different weight rating.
The rear axles are different between the F 250 and F350 DRW Dana 60 to Dana 80.
Even in the F 150 line. The HDPP vs the Max Tow Package. The HDPP has a 850lb greater GVWR. I wanted to know why, so I started looking at the components. A 2 leaf rear spring pack vs a 3 leaf, higher weight rated wheels 18” for the HDPP vs the 20” on the Max T, both have the heavier frame. The Max tow can tow more and the HDPP has a higher payload.
So at least for Ford the details matter.
So it is a little more complicated than you may want it to be.

Perhaps you should read my post again. Im talking SRW 3/4 and 1-ton. I also said ‘typically’. And nothing regarding your cute little 1/2-tons. They are not worth the trouble for those that actually run heavy.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Let's throw in the NEXT BIG CRAZE in the truck world. The "Re-Introduction" of the small compact pickup truck starting with the Ford Maverick.

With the total 2023 production year of the Maverick selling out in just 5 days in September you can bet your shorts that Toyota, Nissan, GM and everyone else will jump on this new genre of "Trucks" BIG TIME within the next year and produce their own version.

Here are the Maverick specs for the 2.5 litre Hybrid and 2.0 litre 250 HP Eco-Boost 4 cylinder engine trucks. Max payload is 1,500 lbs for both. Max towing capacity 2,000 lbs for the Hybrid engine. Max towing capacity for the Eco-Boost engine is 2,000 lbs standard and 4,000 lbs for the Eco-Boost when equipped with optional the "4K" towing package. FWD standard in both with AWD available only on the 2.0 liter 250 HP Eco-Boost engine trucks.

As small as the Maverick is in comparison to a typical Mid-Size and Full Size pickup this small pickup hits a lot of the wants and needs for a whole lot of Men and Women buyers who may have never owned or wanted a Pickup Truck type of vehicle!

Imagine 4 Doors, a Small Bed and 30MPG.

No wonder it has sold like Hotcakes!!!

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Let's throw in the NEXT big craze in the truck world. The "Re-Introduction" of the compact truck starting with the Ford Maverick.

With the total 2023 production year of the Maverick selling out in just 5 days in September you can bet your shorts that Toyota, Nissan, GM and everyone else will jump on this new genre of "Trucks" big time within the next year and produce their own version.

Here are the Maverick specs for the 2.5 litre Hybrid and 2.0 litre 250 HP Eco-Boost 4 cylinder engine trucks. Max payload is 1,500 lbs for both. Max towing capacity 2,000 lbs for the Hybrid engine. Max towing capacity for the Eco-Boost engine is 2,000 lbs standard and 4,000 lbs for the Eco-Boost when equipped with optional the "4K" towing package. FWD standard in both with AWD available only on the 2.0 liter 250 HP Eco-Boost engine trucks.

As small as the Maverick is in comparison to a typical Mid-Size and Full Size pickup this small pickup hits a lot of the wants and needs for a whole lot of buyers who may have never owned or wanted a Pickup Truck type of vehicle!

Imagine 4 Doors, a small bed and 30MPG.

No wonder it has sold like Hotcakes!!!

Even as a truck guy I like the Maverick. Definitely sorely needed given even in 2000 my durable utility 4dr vehicle options that got decent mileage in a small footprint was basically Subaru.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Even as a truck guy I like the Maverick. Definitely sorely needed given even in 2000 my durable utility 4dr vehicle options that got decent mileage in a small footprint was basically Subaru.

This is exactly why I have a 2023 250 HP Eco-Boost AWD Maverick with XLT Package, FX4 Off-Road Package, Full Size Spare, 4K Towing Package, Hot Spot Delete Package and Floor Mats on order. NO other options on it and NO other electronics options ordered other than standard equipment electronics that come with all the Mavericks giving my order a better chance to be built before the end of the model year due to the ongoing "Chip" shortage.

I did not order the "Tremor" package as there will be far more orders for that option package than they could possibly build. With 70%+ of ALL Maverick orders for the Hybrid version there will be a lot of unhappy customers as Ford says they will only have parts for about 40%+ of production to be Hybrid.

Ford is STILL building 2022's Mavericks until November trying to fill the unbuilt 2022 model year orders!

Last edited:

NoTraxx

Perhaps you should read my post again. Im talking SRW 3/4 and 1-ton. I also said ‘typically’. And nothing regarding your cute little 1/2-tons. They are not worth the trouble for those that actually run heavy.

I have a tendency to speak from personal experience and actually doing the work and research.

Attachments

• E0DF4C10-9306-4BDD-B3A2-990916A22501.jpeg
    E0DF4C10-9306-4BDD-B3A2-990916A22501.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 3AAA7A6C-FA06-41D4-93EC-C41AEE847067.jpeg
    3AAA7A6C-FA06-41D4-93EC-C41AEE847067.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46

NoTraxx

Once again, this has nothing to do with dually trucks.
Hence the 'SRW' noted.

And Ill say it again, as mentioned above, modern Ford 3/4 and 1-ton SRW trucks are essentially the same.
Which is correct.

Again, not they are not. Maybe look closer at the SRW 350 in the first picture.
The devil is in the details.
So, if you want to state your source, or is it “my cousins boyfriends buddy” that you get your info from?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Again, not they are not. Maybe look closer at the SRW 350 in the first picture.
The devil is in the details.
So, if you want to state your source, or is it “my cousins boyfriends buddy” that you get your info from?

fine, Ill bite

Please enlighten us of ALL the differences between same year 3/4 and 1-ton.

Ill wait.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sorry, thought you were the expert.

If you are, should be easy enough to list all of the differences.
They exist, but they are few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner