The bigger the truck, the greater the (misplaced?) concern about payload?

NoTraxx

You wouldn’t believe me if I did tell you. So, I provide the information and a starting point. How lazy can you be?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It has nothing to do with laziness, believe me... I gave up on loading that link after a 30 second wait.

After trying again it does appear that for the 2022 year they did make some changes. So my apologies.
Ill edit my original post as it is still factual prior to these changes.

tacollie

Glamper
That only covers a starting points for the trucks. You can order an srw f250 and have it be identical to a srw f350. Same springs, leafs, transmission, axles, wheels, frame, and brakes. The one thing you can't get is the taller rear blocks ?

My F250 has the 6r100 and Sterling 10.5 as the "light duty" components. It came with the heavier duty springs and higher rated 20" wheels from the factory.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
This is exactly why I have a 2023 250 HP Eco-Boost AWD Maverick with XLT Package, FX4 Off-Road Package, Full Size Spare, 4K Towing Package, Hot Spot Delete Package and Floor Mats on order. NO other options on it and NO other electronics options ordered other than standard equipment electronics that come with all the Mavericks giving my order a better chance to be built before the end of the model year due to the ongoing "Chip" shortage.

I did not order the "Tremor" package as there will be far more orders for that option package than they could possibly build. With 70%+ of ALL Maverick orders for the Hybrid version there will be a lot of unhappy customers as Ford says they will only have parts for about 40%+ of production to be Hybrid.

Ford is STILL building 2022's Mavericks until November trying to fill the unbuilt 2022 model year orders!
Rumor has it that Toyota is also going to build a smaller truck like the Maverick. If you think the Ford sold well, imagine same type truck with Toyota reliability....

NoTraxx

That only covers a starting points for the trucks. You can order an srw f250 and have it be identical to a srw f350. Same springs, leafs, transmission, axles, wheels, frame, and brakes. The one thing you can't get is the taller rear blocks ?

My F250 has the 6r100 and Sterling 10.5 as the "light duty" components. It came with the heavier duty springs and higher rated 20" wheels from the factory.
Page 46

Attachments

• 196F0ADF-35DB-4E8D-B802-0A362655425A.png
    196F0ADF-35DB-4E8D-B802-0A362655425A.png
    863.6 KB · Views: 28

Porkchopexpress

I have a single rear wheel F350 that I load with about 3k. That would be slightly over capacity for an F250 but about 1k under my max gvwr. In my opinion, the F350 needs better brakes. In an emergency stop situation, I do not feel comfortable.
I don't know if there are standards for stopping distance at max capacity but there should be.

billiebob

Just a quick comparison....

On a TJR Wrangler the towing capacity is 2000#
On an LJR Wrangler the towing capacity is 3500#

On a JKR same 2000#
On a JKUR same 3500#

They use identical components.
Brakes, steering, axles..... Only the wheelbase and rear overhang change.

Some say the longer wheelbase makes the unit more stable yet youtube is full of diesel dually quadcabs losing stability while towing.

Same on payload for a W2500 vs a W2500 Powerwagon.
It is not that the Powerwagon has inferior parts it is that the Powerwagon is built to articulate...
The Powerwagon is definitely more flexible.... anything built to max out capacity has zero flexibility.

Look at dump trucks built for the highway, vs dump trucks built for off highway road construction.
The highway unit looks like a Prius vs the off highway unit yet the highway unit can carry more payload

Some say well since it makes no sense I'll load my Powerwagon like it is a regular W2500, which works intil you have a fatal accident and everyone including yer insurer is looking for an out.

On the other end.... I drive a TJR, I love the challenge of keeping my rig legal and under the payload, trailer towing ratings. Overloading is not a challenge but the benefits of being legal are less strain on the components, lower maintenance costs, fewer chances of breaking something when you are remote, and even a bretter chance you will not get stuck crossing that sand wash.

I have no need to carry 8000# of equipment or more. I love the challenge of carrying less and being a minimalist.

Regardless of the unit, carrying less is always good.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I have a single rear wheel F350 that I load with about 3k. That would be slightly over capacity for an F250 but about 1k under my max gvwr. In my opinion, the F350 needs better brakes. In an emergency stop situation, I do not feel comfortable.
I don't know if there are standards for stopping distance at max capacity but there should be.

What year truck?

Our 2011 Superduty loaded even to 12k doesnt have any problem stopping.
Takes longer for sure that when empty, but its never been a concern.
Empty, stab the brakes and you will be kissing the windshield.

Maybe your rotors are glazed?

51888092580_e015486b69_b.jpg

Porkchopexpress

What year truck?

Our 2011 Superduty loaded even to 12k doesnt have any problem stopping.
Takes longer for sure that when empty, but its never been a concern.
Empty, stab the brakes and you will be kissing the windshield.

Maybe your rotors are glazed?

51888092580_e015486b69_b.jpg
Maybe so.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
If you Compare the F250 to the F 350 SRW there are only a few differences, like bed length and rear spring packs. However if you bring the DRW in the picture then the rear axle and wheel size. Also the rear spring pack really gets beefy. Personally having had all three a 250 and 350 SRW and 350 DRW it steps up with each.
For me personally, I want a F350 SCREW SRW gasser.

bed length doesn’t change between F-250 and F-350. Both can be had in short bed and long bed configuration, and they’re the exact same length for each. Obviously a 350 can be had in a dual rear wheel setup that a 250 can’t.
As far as springs go, a 250 comes standard with a lighter rear spring pack, BUT most 250s are optioned with the exact same spring pack and overload that a single rear wheel 350 has. A gasser 6.2 250 also came With the 6R100 transmission while a 6.2 350 had the new 10 speed in it. That’s now a moot point being that Ford did away with the 6.2 for 2023.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I have a tendency to speak from personal experience and actually doing the work and research.

In which case you did your research wrong. The 250 comes standard with a Sterling 10.5” rear axle not a Dana 60. The 350 SRW comes standard with a Dana M275 rear axle not a Dana 80. The 250 can be optioned with the M275. The Sterling 10.5 was used in the 2011-2016 F350 SRW though, and is plenty stout.

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but most 250s here in these parts have the heavy payload package which includes the M275 axle and same spring pack as the SRW 350. So I’m essence most, not all, F-250s in these parts are built identical to a SRW F-350. There are exceptions of course. However it is an optional package and not a standard feature.

billiebob

These are the discussions which inspire me to do the research rather than trust the internet. However often a vehicle in one region, part of the country might be quite different from the "same vehicle" on the other coast. On an international forum you really need to research the local detail at a local retailer.

NoTraxx

In which case you did your research wrong. The 250 comes standard with a Sterling 10.5” rear axle not a Dana 60. The 350 SRW comes standard with a Dana M275 rear axle not a Dana 80. The 250 can be optioned with the M275. The Sterling 10.5 was used in the 2011-2016 F350 SRW though, and is plenty stout.

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but most 250s here in these parts have the heavy payload package which includes the M275 axle and same spring pack as the SRW 350. So I’m essence most, not all, F-250s in these parts are built identical to a SRW F-350. There are exceptions of course. However it is an optional package and not a standard feature.

Go back a few years you will see the Dana 60 and Dana 80. However, I did correct myself and provided Ford documentation for available options.
If you will note in the above attachments, the M275 is the lighter axle. Next time go through the entire conversation as they ebb and flow. Even with the Heavy payload package it is not on the level of the 350. But if you like, provide the build sheet. Funny thing is that as you upspec to the next level you are actually cheaper to just by the F350 SRW.
No I am not an expert, I just take the time to read.

NoTraxx

These are the discussions which inspire me to do the research rather than trust the internet. However often a vehicle in one region, part of the country might be quite different from the "same vehicle" on the other coast. On an international forum you really need to research the local detail at a local retailer.

Agreed, as the region and uses/preferences change the so do the trucks or other equipment etc involved. I mean youre not going to find a lot of snowplow prepped trucks in Louisiana. Sure you can order it, but it won’t be on the lot.
But the basic chassis and options do stay the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner