The Dawgvan: 64 Dodge A100 build

bdog1

Adventurer
Great to see you back at it!

Remember those lighted switches are bright for night driving.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Good catch there Bdog. They are bright. That's why the switches are under the roll of the dash so it's out of my line of sight. I had to swap out the Radiator fan switch with one of these K-Fours, as the K-Fours are slightly thinner. Better to have the quality 20amp switch, though, instead of the cheap Pep Boys crap anyway.

Bernard_Roofus

"Jackaroo of all trades"
I had that issue with my ambualnce, so I installed a resistor to dim the indicator lights, worked like a charm.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Happiness is shorts and flip flops at the beach. No Polar Vortex here!

du2e8emu.jpg

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

bdog1

Adventurer
Enough gloating about your weather and get back to work!

Here in FL we got two days of winter and almost got down to freezing! Not a great welcome home from two weeks down in the Keys! Yea, glad that's over....

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Safety Third!

I was soldering up and shrink wrapping something and the butane torch fell over and caught a nylon tool bag on fire, and it dripped molten nylon all over my tool tray in about 30 seconds...

RIP DMM. Also my favorite crimper, stripper, and dyke all got melted handles, but otherwise ok. 8((

Last edited:

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Working on the bed frame/storage platform in the back today. Building out of Clear 2"x2" Douglas Fir and plywood. Top will be hinged so you can get into it from the back and also so that with the couch fully out you can have an angled backboard if you want. Here are some dry fiting pics. I ended up shortening it 4 inches over where I thought things should be to clear the folding action and the rake of the rear doors. Final size of the storage space is like 43"x30"x 16" tall

Dawgboy

Adventurer
The couch is in it's permanent location, but moves forward 14" and folds flat to be the front half of the bed. I am making the rear half of the bed in the back to be removable with a couple of latches or turnbuckles(That I have not figured out yet) so I can pop it out to carry large items like barrels and couches and stuff. The couch is also removable with four 1/2" Grade 8 bolts.

BTW, I have a futon to cover the whole shebang for a good night's sleep. More pics will help a lot. I got out and glued up the frame and added some corner brackets. I'm probably going to skin the sides with some 3mm ply I have. I'm going to try it out without the center uprights in it at first to see if there is sag. I like the idea of keeping the storage space as large as possible. I have to round the edges on the ply deck and make a couple of cutouts, one for the fuel filler on the left side corner, one so you can pull the fuel can on the right out without having to move the ply. Then sand and paint and hinge the lid.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I really enjoyed reading this thread. I like your creativity and resourcefulness with the build. That's definitely a good deal you found on the Newport Stove--that's what I have in mind if I get the chance to build a tiny house.

Do you think there's any chance of restoring/remaking those original door decals from its earlier life? I've got a thing for door badges, I guess, especially "historical" ones.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Just doing a little thinking out loud here. Have to build a mount and install it before paneling and this is how I eyeball it. I'm thinking 3-4" higher and maybe back 2". That will give me more clearance on the bed.

pe3y8yqa.jpg

ysa4ape7.jpg

Pardon the mess...

Also re-installed the Mercedes horn with an 1 1/2" "cellulose fiber" damper block. No more sheet metal vibration 8)

u7yse8y2.jpg

butupa6y.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater