The Dawgvan: 64 Dodge A100 build

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Just going at it, one piece at a time...

So here is my auxiliary power storage in the form of 8, 18 AH SLA batteries. They weigh 103 pounds together. I'm wording them up short term at least, inside behind the drivers seat. Want to find or make a steel tray to hang under the floor for them. For charging, I have a good quality battery isolator I will attach them to, and also have 4, 55 watt solar panels to go on the nonexistent roof rack. Tonight I started wiring up a power panel for them, so I can put them all on a battery tender until install.

I'm oldskool, and am all about the real tinned brass connectors and solder.

5ebahupy.jpg

8azy2yvy.jpg

u6aru7at.jpg

a7e8asum.jpg

Check out this "High Quality" electrical work I found in the back of the '96 GMC Astro I liberated a bunch of parts from.

a8y5u5ep.jpg

8(

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Finished up the Rock-n-Roll bed extension today. Welded it up, ground it smooth and primered it. Next is to Mack the backing plates for under the van floor and to paint this frame black and mount it.

suqu7ujy.jpg

une8a5yz.jpg

u9unyqa3.jpg

uhudepyp.jpg

azy2e2ut.jpg

ytane6e4.jpg

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Final coat of black paint. Needs to dry but it's done! Just need to bolt it back together, drill and mount.

7u7e8ehy.jpg

bdog1

Adventurer
Saw a van that reminded me of yours while traveling last weekend. Damn it, should have snapped a pic! Had those crazy "pie plate" headlamp trim rings. Very original. Next time.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

bdog1

Adventurer
They look very wrong too. Can't adapt and overcome? I've been on a little string of wrong parts myself. Glow plug relay. Bushings. Belt. Gotta love it! No worries.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Don't even fit in the holes... I might be able to get a refund though.

Also got the spare mounted today. It's a used tire, but that's because I'm planning to go to a 15" rim and don't want to spend a Tom of money on something I will be tossing within the next year.

danuhabu.jpg

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Today is my dads, 87th birthday. He is the dude that gave me the desire and skills to want to wrench on old iron. In many ways, we are very different, but in some, we are the same. Here he is, and here are some of his projects. He does 90% of the fabrication himself, with help of course from my brother and I. Paint is the one thing he farms out...

1930 Austin 7 "Chummy". Shipped from Australia to the US. It's the current resytore Project and is in pieces right now. The body work is being farmed out to the El Capitan High school Auto shop in Lakeside CA. Mechanics are all done.

1936 Cadillac Fleetwood Convertible V8. This was a 6 year frame-up resto woith some rust reapair and a LOT of fabrication for the roof structure. Also, he cast the door handles and bumper parts himself.

1927 Cadillac Touring car. This was a 1980's frame up Restore By Jim Renzuli, that my dad bought not running and did a complete drivetrain restore plus some paint and Nickel Plate work (No chrome)
I love driving this. It will cruise the freeway just fine, and has done Cadillac Tour of California.

1929 Graham Paige 827 Limousine. Converted by Howard MacGee along with 12 others in 1930 for the Publix Theater chain(Paramount Pictures) as parade cars. There are 23 others left, 1 in Portland, one in Florida, and one in Boston.

Enjoy!

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Finished up the Rock~n~Roll bed install today. Of course I still have to fab the back half, but permanent seating is a done deal. All grade 8 hardware and galvanized steel backing plates.

e3y8ypyr.jpg

4ugebuqy.jpg

Triple checking the mount locations
u9ahyju2.jpg

All the way back and upright
e7yzu7ev.jpg

All the way back and down
7utu3a8a.jpg

All the way forward and down.
duzavapu.jpg

Mood lighting is 12 volt led
adarevyn.jpg

bdog1

Adventurer
What's the long term plan? Camping out of your van? You going to build a shelf at the rear doors next for the extension?
Better hook those "mood lamps" into the dome circuit.... Less draw than that one reg. bulb. I like it when the OCD solar power crowd rates LED lamps as"insignificant"!

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Those are actually kind of temporary. The own lamps are staying but I am going to replace the bulbs with LEDs. I'm going to add a white Led strip and an RGB led strip inset to the ceiling panels and a couple of 12 volt reading lamps as well.

Long term is a camp cruiser. The back will be a remove able shelf with drawers. I have a door mount for the spare. That will add space inside

bdog1

Adventurer
I did the same. Found led bulbs at the "joe racer" section of Autozone. Swapped right in. I'm usually in a campground, and have a too bright 110v led strip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater