The Dawgvan: 64 Dodge A100 build

bdog1

Adventurer
I was trying to find who, on here, I stole the barstool trick from. "Bk???"
Something.... Yea! That's my kinda hi- tec....

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

bdog1

Adventurer
That van is leaf spring up front isn't it. With a straight axle? That's just right for a 4x4 swap.... They already have disc..... so your really saving $.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
You are right about the leaf springs and straight axle. I have been kinda thinking "Dana 30 from a mid 70's jeep", but maybe a donor Ramcharger will show up. either way, I will have to change all the wheels as it will be a different lug pattern and I want front and back to match, so... 2 axles, Tranny, and transfer case would all be needed, and it's a short short wheelbase, and that makes it more tough...

bdog1

Adventurer
Yea. Lots of guys pulling late model JK stuff too. There prob. the right width for your van. The stock axles hold up to moderate tires. Clean off all the brackets get some spring perches bolt it all up and buzz it down. Can always do T case later. I guess those little Dana 300 hold up real well.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
My rudimentary drawing skills...
Not a lot of space
8utyra4u.jpg

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Dawgboy

Adventurer
So, here are the new seats. Scored them out of a 96 Astro conversion that must have just got to the Boneyard. $60 including seatbelts. The captains chares will go up front with the bases removed. Tracks direct match on width. . That bench is a rock and roll so now I just need to build an extension. All stains were made by me, and no cat piss! Also got the dual horns from a big Mercedes sedan for $15

dequ2y9a.jpg
yqyvurar.jpg
erury3ez.jpg
9u9e4uqe.jpg

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Some more Boneyard scores today. A stainless sink with all the fittings, a 6 gallon water tank, 3 assorted oh **** handles, four nifty spring loaded folding table brackets, a big piece of monster sized cable and a bunch of electrical parts from an ambulance, window visors from a late model van that match the seats. All for 40 bucks.
uga7y3un.jpg

je2ymupe.jpg

yvatu8a8.jpg

y7ygy9et.jpg

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I think the plan is to build a small cabinet with some quick release latches on it to easily remove. Inside a Reliance "Baja" 2,5 gallon jug and the pump, and a Cat Litter jug for the grey water. Make the power cord long so I can use it in or out of the van, but right by the side door so you can wash hands while standing outside.

ober27

Adventurer
I love seeing used and repurposed parts in a build. I find it satisfying to make something work well without throwing a lot of money at it. I'm looking forward to following this project to see how it turns out.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Here is the Buckets without the undercarriage. The mounts on these were like 40 pounds of steel each. Going to have to fab up some mounts for the built in tracks. They ate tan, not pink. Looks odd in the sunset light.

egehesy5.jpg

bdog1

Adventurer
You on to something to be within reach from outside. All my storage is all drivers side and requires the constant in and out. Small price to pay for camping on the beach I guess.
tagyzyme.jpg
ynedehub.jpg

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Today's project was to get the '64 vintage rim that will be my spare ready to have a tire put on it. First step was 3 days of Ospho baths I did over the work week, then today a heavy rinse, sanding, degreasing, and then two coats of primer. Let it sit in a nice warm spot and gave it it's first coat of gloss black.
myzybugu.jpg

qy3a6u6e.jpg

ragy2uda.jpg

zerabubu.jpg

y7y4esuv.jpg

egypyduz.jpg

Last edited:

Dawgboy

Adventurer
So for the back seat Rock-n-Roll bed, I decided I needed to make it 2 inches higher to get it to clear the driver side rear wheel well. And to do that, I needed to make some steel extensions I can weld to the seat base.

I'm using 1" square tube I liberated from a pile in my dad's shop. Pretty sure this was from the roof rack of his 72 Titan MH, which went as far north as Fairbanks and the arctic circle back in 1980, as well as many trips all over the southwest and Baja.

So I stripped the paint and cut 4, 3" blocks and 2, 20" rails, and welded one together. This will also get welded to the bottom of the seat unit.

Needs a lot of cleanup, more later.

4e5une8y.jpg

ama4ytu8.jpg

uryre4ar.jpg

va3ady7y.jpg

rarygy6y.jpg

Here's my hunny doing an artists rendering...
a7u8ahe8.jpg

yrygajyg.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater