DeTour-75.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-21 - 00040 - The De-Tour - Day 05 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-21 - 00040b - The De-Tour - Day 05 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-21 - 00040c - The De-Tour - Day 05 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3531 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3534 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3535 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3536 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Now this might not seem that cool. Horses are all over Wyoming and Montana. But these are true wild horses. A small herd but apparently one of the most genetically unique of the wild herds in the US. Was great to get to see some of them.

By now it was getting late and we were getting tired. As the campsites I’d hoped to stay in were now under a foot or more of snow and we had two more people to meet in Lovell. We had to get off the mountain.

Could help but stop when the trees broke though to get some great views.

IMG_0210 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0212 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0214 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Even Venice was looking tired.

IMG_0217 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

2017-09-21 - 00041 - The De-Tour - Day 05 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3544 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3546 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3551 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
It was around here that Glenn reached out on the HAM radio. We told him where we were and I guesstimated how long it would take us to reach him in Lovell. I was pretty off though.

IMG_3548 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_0219 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0222 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

I knew the road was going to be long to get to Lovell, but I and forgotten just how long. The road was narrow and rocky but nothing bad. But not really able to pick up speed to the steep grade. At least not for a while.

IMG_0225 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0229 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

By now, of course the weather began to show its face again. Cold powerful wind with rain kept us in our trucks as well as the drive to just get the hell to camp.

IMG_0232 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0233 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Finally we got down the mountain, but not out of the “woods” yet. We had about 10 miles of road in the badlands to get through. By now the wind was up to real Wyoming standards and was driving the rain so hard it was basically horizontal. Even with the windows cracked the person on the other side of the truck would get smacked hard in the face by rain.

Kirsten was very keen to point this out to Ben..

Despite how it seemed like it would help get rid of some of the mud on our trucks..it did not. Didn’t help we were hitting more mud along the way.

It was pitch black dark by the time we got the highway. We rolled into Lovell and topped off the gas tanks. Glenn was there to meet us excited to be on a trip.

We were a bit beaten down by the weather at his point, but his enthusiasm was refreshing for me. He had come up from Salt Lake City to join us. Another new person to the group. We told him what we had been through during fueling and introduced ourselves at the same time.

Some of the guys decided that washed off the mud now would be a great idea. I concurred as the mud around here has a high bentonite content making for some very slick mud but it also was like super glue. I swear you never fully get it off no matter what. We all piled into the car wash next and sprayed down the rigs.

2017-09-21 - 00042 - The De-Tour - Day 05 by Dan, on Flickr

After this, we gathered up and headed for camp. All of us very much ready for a hot meal. Of course the second we got off the highway to turn into the place I had hoped would suit us for camp..we got the trucks coated in mud again. It was inescapable.

The site...sucked really. But we didn’t care anymore. It had a fire ring and somehow we squeezed everyone in, built a fire, and started in on the evenings arguing and ranting.

By now, we were wondering where the hell Derp was. I turned on my phone and had a few messages from him and called him immediately.

Turns out, he had had bad weather problems as well..

Mark was coming from Jackson and the shortest route is through Yellowstone to get to the Bighorn Basin. He had hoped to get through the East Gate before it closed due to the snow storm. Alas, he did not beat the blizzard but didn’t find that out until he was basically at the East Gate already. This meant he had to backtrack all the way back to Jackson and pray the Togwotee Pass was still open and the blizzard hadn’t hit that.

I called him right as he was getting to the pass. Just on the edge of cell phone reception.

I described to him where we were going to camp though he could barely understand me. Before long, the call was dropped. I texted him the directions and once again for the second time. Someone that was joining us would be coming in super late driving through snow storms.

Hopefully he could find us..

To be Continued:

Chapter 5: Not..Again..For the love of God

Enjoying the De-Tour story? There's more - @turbodb also wrote up a version. Check out his version of this chapter here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-turbodb-september-2017.562116/#post-18441179

Read the full story:
As told by @turbodb: [Chapter 1] [Chapter 2] [Chapter 3] [Chapter 4]

As told by @Blackdawg: [Chapter 1] [Chapter 2] [Chapter 3] [Chapter 4]

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
xqtsdr7bip2olj29q9cp8sxs0m6opq2ds15st4zt_146567d6eeac611dd3b84b0ceb6edd59558ed450-jpg.2852470

Chapter 5: Not..Again..For the love of God..
Once again, it rained all night. Camp stirred a bit earlier this morning with Ben up early talking with Derp(Mark). Turns out, he got in around 5:30 am. He had used APRS to look up my call sign in town and somehow was able to use his phone to find us. Not having a RTT, the truck had been his bed. Not a great bed for a 6’ guy from my own experience..

Mark is one hell of an energetic dude though, quickly filling in the details of his crap drive that should have take 6 hours that turned into almost 12 hours of driving. Plus he hit a deer! Was rather proud of that though as the bumper had done its job and no damage was done to the truck.

“Whats that on your door? Looks like a dent..” I pointed out.

“OH WHAT THE HELL!” exclaimed Mark.

His humor was welcome in the morning. Everything was soaked and muddy again. We were getting really sick of it.

2017-09-22 - 00001 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00002 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

As we packed up everything, we decided to go back towards Lovell and go to the Bighorn Canyon overlook. Figured it was right there might as well go see it as it wasn’t raining right now.

On the way there we stopped to check on a few of the guys CB radios. On top of that, Zane had to leave us. Super bummed we said our farewells to Zane and wished him luck on his new adventure, moving to Arizona.

IMG_0237 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

A short highway drive later, though longer than normal as well all still hadn’t aired up, and we were at Devils Canyon Overlook.

Which is...awesome.

DeTour-76.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00003 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00004 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00005 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00006 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3556 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3557 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3558 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3561 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_0239 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0252 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_3568 by mike digirat, on Flickr

You can’t not enjoy that view. And everyone took it all in.

DeTour-77.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_3554 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Of course you can’t not be at a place like this an test out the accoustics. Which is exactly the reason to haul an elk bugle around with you at all times in the rig :D

2017-09-22 - 00007 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

DeTour-78.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0244 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

And then this...this is what happens when you give Derp a camera :rofl:

IMG_0245 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-79.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Not bad Mark! Haha

We wandered around taking in the views as well as got back to the trucks to air up our tires. With a bit oh highway next that was going up the very steep “Oh my God” highway as the locals say, we didn’t want to wear the tires down too much.

DeTour-81.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0257 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Glenn’s truck was way to clean right now. But we would soon fix that!

IMG_0238 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

I hadn’t driven’t 14a in years. But knew it was a steep road. It was really steep! Everyone was surprised how slowly we had to drive up this steep pass. Thankfully, it was open though. In fact, there was no sign of snow really!

Riiiiggght up until we got on top and came to Hunt Mountain road. Our destination to cut across the mountain.

DeTour-82.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0258 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00009 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

Damn. More snow.

I was also pretty skeptical we would make it over this mountain road. It hit over 10,000’ and did not look like there was traffic on it. Was worth a shot though. We aired down and ate lunch, the temperature drop keeping us from pulling out the chairs.

Then things got all to familiar.

White out.

2017-09-22 - 00010 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

This was my view as I lead the group once again by brail and following my GPS track more than looking out the windsheild.

DeTour-83.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Was a bit more sketchy this time though. I knew if we got too far off we could end up sliding down a long long was. But the light was just enough we could make out old tracks from the days before. This pushed me on and thankfully, everyone in the group was happy to still follow. Though we all regretted coming this way soon.

After crossing the mountain, we started heading down hill again, the clouds broke a bit and the snow dissipated. However, no snow meant one thing.

Mud.

Holy crap so much mud.

DeTour-84.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

None of us dared get out in the cold and sloppy goo being flung around. We also saw almost no one, except a man on a very old yellow tractor headed up the mountain..we weren’t sure why. Perhaps to get one of the sheep herder huts..

Eventually we made it down the mountain back to the highway. We had been through mud before..but this..this was a whole nother level..

DeTour-85.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-86.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-87.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00011 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Got the new 3rd gen all muddy though and caught up with the rest of us!

IMG_0262 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Mark and I definitely had it worse due to the wide tires we used..

IMG_0263 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0264 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-4.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0274 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0275 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0278 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Multicultural mud of Wyo/MT!

IMG_0272 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Dan noticed he had been hearing a sound and after some quick investigation it turned out he had lost a bolt on his bed rack mounts.

DeTour.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Of course the bolt had fallen under the bed liner but Mike had a spare bolt handy that fit the bill perfectly. Dan set about fixing it while the rest of us marveled at the sloppy ******** show our trucks were now as well as checked out the large earth movers parked by us.

DeTour-3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-2.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0282 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00015 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_0283 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0270 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0271 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Bed rack fixed and the weather seemingly acting like it’s gonna not suck. We set off down the next trail. Which had its fun big puddles in it from the rain. We all hit them hard in hopes of washing off some of the mud.

Our trail came out on Red Grade road and when we did. It’s like the weather Gods looked down on us..took pity..and smiled..smiled warm beautiful sun! Hell even blue sky!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
The temperature back up we stopped off at one of the old dams on the creek.

2017-09-22 - 00017 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

DeTour-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-7.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-8.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00019 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_0285 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0287 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

This Damn helped back up the creek for the Tie Flume operation done up here years ago.

Needless to say, was a cool piece of history we all like.

IMG_3570 by mike digirat, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00020 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00021 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3571 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3574 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3577 by mike digirat, on Flickr

We were all in a much better mood suddenly. The prospect of us getting to camp before dark and not in the rain or snow was extremely uplifting. We got back in the trucks to head to our next trail, Woodchuck pass.

IMG_0292 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-9.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Mud flaps..they do help..

2017-09-22 - 00018 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

Back on Red Grade road. Ben almost had a new hood ornament..

Thankfully the Elk turned off and didn’t decide to try and play frogger with Ben!

Shortly after this we turned off of Red Grade and got our first water crossing in a while. Which again we tried to used more as a car wash..didn’t really help though..

DeTour-10.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Really didn’t help Derp who’s washer bottle was not functioning so he had been using a water bottle :laugh: You can see him refilling it to dunk the windshield again in the background.

DeTour-11.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
The sun was out in full force and the smiles were too from us. The snow finally seemed beatiful to us rather than a threat.

DeTour-12.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00022 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3578 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3579 by mike digirat, on Flickr

The trail wasn’t even that muddy. Or maybe our reference for “muddy road” was just way off now.

DeTour-13.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-14.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-15.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0293 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_3582 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Either way. We were really having fun. It finally sort of felt like “normal” with us stopping for photos and to chat very frequently.

IMG_0297 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0298 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-16.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-17.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_3583 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_0299 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0301 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Devin decided to take out her frustrastion with how muddy Frankenstein was buy trying to clean him off..with a few snowballs. Others also tried to help but it was futile.

IMG_0304 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0305 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_3592 by mike digirat, on Flickr

DeTour-19.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_3586 by mike digirat, on Flickr

We were happy though, as were the pups!

IMG_0307 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00026 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_0308 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-18.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00023 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00024 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3588 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3591 by mike digirat, on Flickr

SUN! BATHE IN ITS GLORY!

IMG_0311 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_3584 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
It wasn’t long before we had stopped again though. The snowy peaks in the back was the area we were headed into tomorrow. Should be interesting. Figure that out when we get there. For now, it was just nice to be out in the sun doing what we love.

DeTour-35.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-36.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0315 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-37.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00027 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3596 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3597 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Derp always bring the humor on.

2017-09-22 - 00028 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

DeTour-38.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0318 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-39.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00029 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

Not a bad view.

IMG_3600 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3603 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_0319 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0320 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_3601 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3602 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3606 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
The goal was to get to camp before dark though. And we didn’t linger too long, at least not with Mike reminding us about it!

IMG_0328 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_3608 by mike digirat, on Flickr

It was just too nice out with the sunlight finally making it worth taking photos constantly.

IMG_0329 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-40.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

From here we did a mad dash to camp. I was just hoping that the rifle hunters hadn’t moved into to the good spot on the creek we were headed too.

We had fun on the trail down to the creek, one of my favorites from my childhood.

DeTour-41.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-42.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-43.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-44.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

It didn’t take us long to break out into the lovely meadow of Moran Creek.

DeTour-45.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-46.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00035 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3610 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Sadly the spot I wanted was taken. But there was plenty of room on the other side of the creek so we crossed over to setup camp. I sprinted across trying to get photos of folks going through the multiple water crossings.

2017-09-22 - 00038 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00039 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

DeTour-47.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-48.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-49.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-50.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-51.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-52.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-53.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-54.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-55.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-56.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-57.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-58.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Everyone across we went about setting up camp. Only the 2nd time so far before it was dark.

2017-09-22 - 00040 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_0335 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Devin refused to even touch the truck Frankenstein was so muddy. So it was my job to set up everything and get the mud off of stuff haha

IMG_0338 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0339 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Camp setup we now could get to real buissness...which I’m not sure what we would call that but most just bull ****************!

IMG_0341 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0344 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0348 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

And here is the famous “meme” photo of me...probably telling off Derp about something not improtant at all..

“Actually…”

IMG_0351 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0352 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0353 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Things were so nice Ben volunteered that if the sun was nice tomorrow he would make us all breakfast even! Bold words. But the clouds did start moving in quickly.

IMG_0354 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0356 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Fog rolling in we go the fire going good and all huddled around it for the rest of the evening happy as ever with how the day had gone compared to the last few.

IMG_0357 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0360 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

2017-09-22 - 00045 - The De-Tour - Day 06 by Dan, on Flickr

But even with the fire, at 8500 feet, it was cold. Soon it was just a few of us left. And of course it started to snow again. I made the rounds with the broom and swept off everyones RTT before hitting the sack myself. Praying for the sun to come out again tomorrow..

To be Continued..

Chapter 6: Not..again..For the love of God..

Enjoying the De-Tour story? There's more - @turbodb also wrote up a version. Check out his version of this chapter here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-turbodb-september-2017.562116/#post-18461434

Read the full story:
As told by @turbodb: [Chapter 1] [Chapter 2] [Chapter 3] [Chapter 4] [Chapter 5]

As told by @Blackdawg: [Chapter 1] [Chapter 2] [Chapter 3] [Chapter 4] [Chapter 5]

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
xqtsdr7bip2olj29q9cp8sxs0m6opq2ds15st4zt_146567d6eeac611dd3b84b0ceb6edd59558ed450-jpg.2852923

Chapter 6: Okay ******** this. We out..
Well.

This. Is not how you like to wake up in the morning.

2017-09-23 - 00001 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_0362 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0364 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0366 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

IMG_0371 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

At least by the time I got out of bed the snow had stopped.

DeTour-60.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-59.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-61.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

It had snow a few more inches through the night. Again. What once was snow free was not covered in it. The tents struggling to hold up the rain fly’s.

DeTour-62.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-63.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The push broom came out again and did the rounds. I’ll tell you what, for a last minute “that might be handy” grab. That damn broom was sure nice to have.

IMG_0373 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

The sun did come out though and it was actually fairly beautiful.

DeTour-64.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-23 - 00004 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-23 - 00005 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-23 - 00006 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_3612 by mike digirat, on Flickr

IMG_3614 by mike digirat, on Flickr

DeTour-65.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_3615 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Plus, the sun was out. Ben realized he had to be good on his word about making breakfast. I loaned him a bigger pan, and Kirsten proceeded to make us breakfast...not Ben. :rofl:

Something we all teased and jeered at while she finished the eggs. As soon as we started eating, the clouds came back, and it got cold again.

With the new snow fall, I wasn’t super sure how the day would go. Little did I know it would go in several directions I did not hope for. But we were here and figured we would try and set off for Boulder Basin.

2017-09-23 - 00009 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_0377 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

The road was muddy, but clear of snow at least. Mud. Im even getting sick of writing about it. We were definitely sick of driving in it.

As we left the Paint Rock Lake road and started down to Shell reservoir, the clouds rolled in again and it started to rain/sleet/snow lightly.

DeTour-66.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

By now we had burned a lot of gas and some wanted to top off before we went much further. Having passed the resiervoir, though barely able to see it, we stopped at Adelaide lake to fuel up. Derp was the one who was quite low. And of course he didn’t bring any extra.

“What the hell man, why don’t you have any extra??” I jeered.

“I just didn’t fill it up!” Mark exclaimed in full Derp fashion.

Mike was kind enough to give Derp some of his as he had brought 10 gal.

Pit stop over, we now started the roughest trail in the Big Horns. With fresh snow fall..

DeTour-68.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

As we crossed a clearing, I said, “Look there's the trail!”

DeTour-67.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

I could almost hear Dan’s heart drop haha

“Just kidding, it doesn’t go over those rocks” I said over the Cb as I started up the small hill.

“I was going to say..” replyed Dan

Does look like it's going to be crazy though.

2017-09-23 - 00013 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

But really its just a spot for cool photos.

DeTour-69.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-70.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-23 - 00014 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_0380 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-71.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

IMG_0382 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

DeTour-72.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

DeTour-73.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

2017-09-23 - 00015 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

2017-09-23 - 00016 - The De-Tour - Day 07 by Dan, on Flickr

IMG_0386 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Forum statistics