The dieimma of purchasing a new Toyota

Dalko43

Explorer
In this application of a hunting rig, I would still go with gas with a 3/4 ton over diesel....all my buddies with diesels...all they do is ***** and moan about their oil burners. Not to mention diesels are $8,000+ more right off the bat. Unless you're towing heavy, wouldn't even bother.

Well the OP was talking about potentially hauling around a camper, in addition to all the other camping/hunting gear he'll need, so its not like a diesel would have no practical application here. OP has said he's not interested in a diesel truck though, so my point is hypothetical only.

As for your friends complaining about oil burners, you've mentioned that before. And while it is a data point for your own personal reference, a subjective one at that, that doesn't equate to all diesels being inherently more unreliable or repair-intensive than comparable gasoline engines. A lot of people I've talked to who enjoy camping out of a vehicle, for hunting and exploring purposes, swear by diesels because of their reliability, longevity and better mpg. As with everything, there are different views on this topic...I'll just say that most of the exploratory and overlanding types outside the US do prefer diesels over gasoline engines for a reason, and leave it at that.

I've checked Chevy's website recently and wasn't able to find the duramax diesel as an option. Do you have a link or screenshot showing the diesel option?

That said, 1/2 Ton is probably the best buy out there right now...quite a bit of truck, that gets roughly the same mpg as a Tacoma, a bunch more power, and a bit more room, in the $30K range. Midsizes don't make much sense to me anymore.

On this, you and I are in agreement.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well the OP was talking about potentially hauling around a camper, in addition to all the other camping/hunting gear he'll need, so its not like a diesel would have no practical application here. OP has said he's not interested in a diesel truck though, so my point is hypothetical only.

As for your friends complaining about oil burners, you've mentioned that before. And while it is a data point for your own personal reference, a subjective one at that, that doesn't equate to all diesels being inherently more unreliable or repair-intensive than comparable gasoline engines. A lot of people I've talked to who enjoy camping out of a vehicle, for hunting and exploring purposes, swear by diesels because of their reliability, longevity and better mpg. As with everything, there are different views on this topic...I'll just say that most of the exploratory and overlanding types outside the US do prefer diesels over gasoline engines for a reason, and leave it at that.

Good friend of mine son owns a diesel repair shop...diesel, yeah no thanks. That Ford 6.0 alone is going to put his kid through college...maybe a couple times. Kinda funny what people "need" these days....the torque wars are great marketing, when we owned our construction company...all of our vehicles were gas, (except the Mack and earthmoving machines) they towed just fine.

Think the diesel vs. gas subject has been beaten to death...each has it pros and cons. I sure wouldn't own one long term out of warranty. The engines themselves are fine...it is all the other stuff that is costly to repair....turbos, injectors, fuel pumps...now DEF systems. Naturally aspirated gasser will most likely only need a set of spark plugs, and you're good. Wouldn't own an Ecoboost either.

I've checked Chevy's website recently and wasn't able to find the duramax diesel as an option. Do you have a link or screenshot showing the diesel option?

Works for me try punching in a different zip code.

12314636_10153819048949630_4149434359743124028_o.jpg

12265845_10153819049314630_8821073916723889238_o.jpg

On this, you and I are in agreement.

:D

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny how that works. Mine has no real interest in cars and was perfectly happy with her bare bones Civic until I showed her an old Dodge Power Wagon. Now she's all about it and wants to get one and learn how to restore it. Who am I to say no to that? :smiley_drive:

:D

She used to have a couple classic VW's...Beetle, Squareback...we had a 73 Westfalia for about 8 years. Sold that, since we didn't think it would do well in Idaho. It is the land of the truck here for sure...she keeps on hounding me...I want an old farm truck, I want an old farm truck..

Went and looked at a '72 F250, oooo....she liked that.

There is a Legacy PW running around here....dayum!

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Your link to the Colorado reminded me of one the local dealer has for sale. Its a crew cab z71 with the v6, cheasy spacer lift and rockstars wheels. They only want 46k for it!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Most guys that own a diesel wont talk bad about it because....they spent all the money and would look stupid if they did. I would drive a gas all day long if it wasn't for pulling the big trailer.

Clutch

<---Pass
Most guys that own a diesel wont talk bad about it because....they spent all the money and would look stupid if they did. I would drive a gas all day long if it wasn't for pulling the big trailer.

Our Chevy C70 was gas, two speed rear end...it did fine. It would yank around the skid steers like they weren't even there.

Dad had an ol' F600 that he used to haul a JD 350 crawler loader....when men were men, eh? :D

Now-a-days guys want a $60-70K pickup, 1000 ft lbs tq, leather trimmed seats, with gold plated va-jay-jay warmers...

Clutch

<---Pass
Your link to the Colorado reminded me of one the local dealer has for sale. Its a crew cab z71 with the v6, cheasy spacer lift and rockstars wheels. They only want 46k for it!

Crazy thing is, guyz will buy it! of course with a no money down 72-84 month loan @ 5.99% interest...

It has taken some years, but I have become like my grandfather...a cheap ********** SOB. Vehicles are such a waste of money, I really don't want to spend any money on one.

Yeah, the new stuff is nice, think I am over vehicles in general...why I frequent these forums is beyond me. Pass time at work I guess...

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
Our Chevy C70 was gas, two speed rear end...it did fine. It would yank around the skid steers like they weren't even there.

Dad had an ol' F600 that he used to haul a JD 350 crawler loader....when men were men, eh? :D

Now-a-days guys want a $60-70K pickup, 1000 ft lbs tq, leather trimmed seats, with gold plated va-jay-jay warmers...

Don't forget a tonneau cover. Wouldn't want the golf clubs in the back to get rained on. Better fold those tow mirrors out too while you are at it.

Clutch

<---Pass
Don't forget a tonneau cover. Wouldn't want the golf clubs in the back to get rained on. Better fold those tow mirrors out too while you are at it.

ha ha!

Ever notice the most AEV pics have the tow mirrors folded out....c'mon guys! ;).

aev-prospector-road.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It has taken some years, but I have become like my grandfather...a cheap ********** SOB. Vehicles are such a waste of money, I really don't want to spend any money on one....
Same here. Looking to get a Suburban and the prices for new are insane. $70k for a 4x4? Who the hell is buying these?
I won't even consider buying new. Might as well pile up $$, pour gas on it and set it on fire.
Haven't owned a vehicle with < 90,000 miles on it since 2009 and may never again (motorcycles not counting, of course. ;) )

Clutch

<---Pass
Same here. Looking to get a Suburban and the prices for new are insane. $70k for a 4x4? Who the hell is buying these?
I won't even consider buying new. Might as well pile up $$, pour gas on it and set it on fire.
Haven't owned a vehicle with < 90,000 miles on it since 2009 and may never again (motorcycles not counting, of course. ;) )

I haven't had a vehicle payment in over 15 years. Our current vehicles I paid cash for. I go look at the new stuff...sure it is very nice, I think to myself....ok, I am going to spend $25-30K on a new truck, then tack on tax, license and registration...insurance will go waaay up, haven't even put a tank of gas in it yet. Brandy new Tacoma isn't really going to do anything that much different than what I already have...just can't seem to crack open the bank account.

That is the thing with new vehicles, they are new until you drive them off the lot...and you automatically just lost a couple grand.

Watch, I'll be one of those Toyota owners that runs his truck up to a million miles, because I am too cheap and stubborn to do otherwise.

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny how that works. I bet you wouldn't be afraid to buy some high dollar tricked out motorsickle!

I think it comes from struggling for so many years...finally "made it"...and go meh, it is just stuff. For the most part "stuff" is dumb...finding out the less I have, the better it is.

Even with bikes, usually end up buying the left over closeouts, or super low hour used ones. Like my truck, pretty content with my current bike, nothing really out there that is ground breaking in the dirt bike world. Plus, I am getting older and slowing down, just really want to trail ride...don't need the latest and greatest for that. As long as I am still getting out there, I am happy.

The better half and I were talking about a new truck the other day, she says to me you should get a new truck...you deserve it, how much are they going for? (she doesn't pay attention to the whole new vehicle thing, like we guys do...she would be happy with a POS $2500 old farm truck, yeah really...) I told her, oh...$30K...but really $35K when everything is said and done. She asked: How much for a new engine in the truck you have now? Oh...$1500-2000 for a low mile one from Japan, should do the clutch while you're in there...that is another couple hundred bucks...might as well set aside another grand for various unforeseen bullchit...so roughly $3500. She says: Oh...new truck doesn't really make sense does it??? nope. Last year redid the whole the suspension, while I replaced the CV's...didn't really need it, but I rebuilt everything anyways. I am one of those guys...well, since we have it all ripped apart might as well.... New ball joints, control arm bushings, rebuilt the coil overs, etc.. New seals and bearings on the rearend too...rebuilt the driveshaft. feels quite tight again.

This engine is still pulling strong...so who knows, might get another 200,000 miles out of it, we will see...

I love this satire piece from the onion:http://www.theonion.com/article/toyota-recalls-1993-camry-due-fact-owners-really-s-50480

Last edited:

forty2

Adventurer
I haven't had a vehicle payment in over 15 years. Our current vehicles I paid cash for. I go look at the new stuff...sure it is very nice, I think to myself....ok, I am going to spend $25-30K on a new truck, then tack on tax, license and registration...insurance will go waaay up, haven't even put a tank of gas in it yet. Brandy new Tacoma isn't really going to do anything that much different than what I already have...just can't seem to crack open the bank account.

That is the thing with new vehicles, they are new until you drive them off the lot...and you automatically just lost a couple grand.

Watch, I'll be one of those Toyota owners that runs his truck up to a million miles, because I am too cheap and stubborn to do otherwise.

Funny thing, full coverage insurance on my '16 Tacoma is going to be $15 a year more than what I pay for liability only on my $1200 trash haul'n, boat launch'n '94 F-250 ****box. Licence and registration will be a wash. Fully plan on making it a one of those million mile trucks, got 350k out of my last Toyota before making the hard choice to sell it in order to avoid further debt for my wife's education. Been pining to get back in a Toyota pickup for a while. Was considering a low mileage late model, but the Tacoma tax is a hell of a thing. The few non-brodozers I could find that met my criteria were only a few grand less than what I'm paying new (thank you Costco buying service).

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny thing, full coverage insurance on my '16 Tacoma is going to be $15 a year more than what I pay for liability only on my $1200 trash haul'n, boat launch'n '94 F-250 ****box. Licence and registration will be a wash. Fully plan on making it a one of those million mile trucks, got 350k out of my last Toyota before making the hard choice to sell it in order to avoid further debt for my wife's education. Been pining to get back in a Toyota pickup for a while. Was considering a low mileage late model, but the Tacoma tax is a hell of a thing. The few non-brodozers I could find that met my criteria were only a few grand less than what I'm paying new (thank you Costco buying service).

I haven't even called my insurance agent to ask...my quick run of the numbers of my current Tacoma vs a new one...the old one always wins out. I carry full coverage it anyways. 311K miles on it.

Her daily is a 2002 Trooper with 100K on the odo (which it looks darn near new)...her work commute is 1.5 miles round trip. Yeah, we live 3/4's of mile from her work. We might, put a 1000 miles on it per year,...and that is a stretch. Know how long that thing is going to last!? Think the only reason why we would get rid of that, if you could no longer get parts for it or she wrecks it.

Every once and a while you see some old lady still driving a 1987 Buick...now I know why, it might only have 20,000 miles on it, since they basically drive it back and forth to church! :D ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad