The Dirt Sherpa Build

1stDeuce

Explorer
Exactly. I found what I think is the P/N for the bags. (W21-760-9000) I would just need to make mounting brackets to put them under the truck. But that's the hard part... they won't fit where the short bags go, which is between the frame and axle, and I don't really want the bags farther inboard because that adds a lot of stress to the axle, so that leaves outboard, and there's not much room there either... :(
May end up running the long bolts approach for a while and see how that works, but right now I also have no bump stops, since you remove them to install the bags. And my airbag kit is older, so no built in stops. Hmm. Tough times!!

EDIT: Well, I looked at Carli's instructions and they're putting them inboard... I suppose if I'm only using them for a little help the axle would probably be fine. And I can put the bump stops back on!! That would probably be good. :)

Last edited:

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Exactly. I found what I think is the P/N for the bags. (W21-760-9000) I would just need to make mounting brackets to put them under the truck. But that's the hard part... they won't fit where the short bags go, which is between the frame and axle, and I don't really want the bags farther inboard because that adds a lot of stress to the axle, so that leaves outboard, and there's not much room there either... :(
May end up running the long bolts approach for a while and see how that works, but right now I also have no bump stops, since you remove them to install the bags. And my airbag kit is older, so no built in stops. Hmm. Tough times!!

EDIT: Well, I looked at Carli's instructions and they're putting them inboard... I suppose if I'm only using them for a little help the axle would probably be fine. And I can put the bump stops back on!! That would probably be good. :)

I looked at that same airbag part number and it seems likely that it could be what they are using. I did call and talk to Carli and they were kind of jerks. They'll sell you the bags as a replacement part for $200 each, making them the most expensive bags I looked at, but they claim they custom developed the bags and refuse to give any specs on travel, min height, or max height. I thought that was pretty lame. Your right on about not worrying about mounting inboard of the frame, the axle is more than strong enough to handle the load from the airbags. You might look at the Slam Industries SS8 bags. They have a min height of 2.7" and accommodate 10.25" of travel. Mounted at the spring, that probably equates to 12" or so at the wheel. They have an internal jounce bumper. You might be able to install them on your on your stock mounts and gain back most of your downward travel, but I'm guessing you'll still be short some upward travel. In my case it looks like I will only loose about 1/2" to 3/4" upward travel. That might be a good thing as I have lifted the rear end at least three inches and left the factory jounce bumpers stock. The Deaver springs do use all of that travel but it might be better for them if I limit that travel a little.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
I've been working on the doors for the access ports into the bed of the truck. What a pain in the *****, way too much work involved and and I'm not overly pleased with how they are turing out, but they'll have to do.

One of the extra pieces I milled just incase I messed one up. This shows you the slot for the weather stripping. This one wasn't used due to the miss alignment of the slot for the weather stripping.

DSC_1319 copy.jpg

Painted with the marine deck coating and weather stripping installed. The weather stripping is just impossible to cut cleanly, I'm not happy with how this has turned out at all. It is functional though and they won't leak any cold air into the camper.

DSC_1320 copy.jpg

The indoor outdoor carpet on the inside of the door.

DSC_1321 copy.jpg

And the finished door. I receive the latches on tuesday so I'm waiting to get them before I continue trimming the doors as I may have to cut out the center section of the trim opposite the hinges to accommodate the latch.

DSC_1324 copy.jpg

The next miserable project for the weekend was removing the jounce bumper brackets from the frame to start the fab for the airbag brackets. The rivets were a pain to remove.

The frame after removal.

DSC_1322 copy.jpg

Here is the bracket. These will be reworked to mount the top of the airbag.

DSC_1323 copy.jpg

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Well folks.......Huge change in direction with the Sherpa today. This is the largest mod to the build thus far, but I think in a positive direction. Hopefully the fit is what I think it's going to be based on my measurements.

Ram_Small.jpg

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I sure hope so. This is my 4th Ram CTD, but my first with so much electronics, and what the hell is up with the capless fuel filler? I know that is going to be a fuel contaminant problem.

Go to Home Depot and buy a 1.5" Ferno rubber cap for about $3 in the PVC pipe area. Remove the hose clamp, and trim off the bottom with a knife. It will pop right over the capless fill lip and keep everything out of the neck.

The Cummins Forum for 2013+ is a great resource: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Go to Home Depot and buy a 1.5" Ferno rubber cap for about $3 in the PVC pipe area. Remove the hose clamp, and trim off the bottom with a knife. It will pop right over the capless fill lip and keep everything out of the neck.

The Cummins Forum for 2013+ is a great resource: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/

Ya, I'm after the cap already. I've been a member of the TDR for ever but haven't spent much time on the cummins forum.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Hi Guys;

The Toyota was a great truck.......but they warp the front rotors and I got sick of dealing with that coming down mountain passes. Even at 50+ mph on the flats it would shake like crazy under heavy breaking. I just did the brakes about 8k ago with high end EBC pads and EBC dimpled and slotted rotors, and it just warped them again. No, I don't ride my brakes. In fact I'm always in tow/haul when descending and often manually downshift the trans to avoid braking. It's a very long story, but Toyota has issued a TSB on the brake backing plates. They have a new design that directs more air into the rotors, but I don't believe that alone will fix the problem. In addition to that, I'm sick of ********** with the squeaky Deaver rear springs and was mid-stream in an airbag installation to take the extra weight of the camper. Couple all of this with the small 20 gallon fuel capacity and crappy mileage and it was just screaming GO BACK TO A RAM TURBO DIESEL. My ram has only 300 miles on the clock but is already giving me a combined MPG that is 4 to 5 MPG's better that the toyota and it carries 38 gallons if I remember correctly. The Ram will take 5K to 10K reach it's full output and fuel efficiency, so my range increase will be huge. To tell you the truth, this new Ram is so nice, the Toyota just seems crude by comparison. I will say though, the Toyota was like driving a roller skate compared to the Ram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism