The Dirt Sherpa Build

rayct77

Observer
I love my new Ram. First trip with the Hawk I averaged 16.5 mpg loaded. I did add airbags because I had a slight squat with the new coil rear end. Kinda weird having a 3/4 ton with coils instead of leafs. Good luck with yours. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCecchetto

Adventurer
I love my new Ram. First trip with the Hawk I averaged 16.5 mpg loaded. I did add airbags because I had a slight squat with the new coil rear end. Kinda weird having a 3/4 ton with coils instead of leafs. Good luck with yours. Looks great.

Thanks. I can't wait to get the camper all settled in on the truck. I only have 2 1/2 weeks before heading out on a 16 day road trip through Utah, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. Would have liked to have all of the 2 1/2 weeks to work on the interior, but the camper has to get settled on the truck first. Sure hope I don't end up needing airbags in the Ram.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Thanks. I can't wait to get the camper all settled in on the truck. I only have 2 1/2 weeks before heading out on a 16 day road trip through Utah, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. Would have liked to have all of the 2 1/2 weeks to work on the interior, but the camper has to get settled on the truck first. Sure hope I don't end up needing airbags in the Ram.
What does the Sherpa weigh? My Northstar wet and fully loaded is somewhere around 1700 lbs. My suspension settles about 2.25" with the weight, so it's about level (I would estimate the factory rake to be about 2").

FamilyPicsApriltoJune2014076_zpsdb783ef2.jpg

GCecchetto

Adventurer
What does the Sherpa weigh? My Northstar wet and fully loaded is somewhere around 1700 lbs. My suspension settles about 2.25" with the weight, so it's about level (I would estimate the factory rake to be about 2").

FamilyPicsApriltoJune2014076_zpsdb783ef2.jpg

I haven't weighed it yet, but I'm guessing it's around 800 - 1000 lbs currently. We'll see what happens Friday when it goes in for the test fit.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Dang it, I was interested to see how the long travel airbags worked out. :(

Well, a bigger truck should eliminate the need for those anyway with a camper as light as yours. Nice choice of color too!! :)
Wait, you have the rear coil truck... Does is still say right in the glove box that the truck is not recommended for use with a truck camper? (I'm sure your light camper will be fine...) From what I have heard from a VERY reputable source, RAM messed up the rear suspension geometry on the coil 2500's pretty badly. Keep an eye toward AEV's RAM kit for a VERY well designed and well tuned suspension system!! :)

Chris

Last edited:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer

Well, a bigger truck should eliminate the need for those anyway with a camper as light as yours. Nice choice of color too!! :)
Wait, you have the rear coil truck... Does is still say right in the glove box that the truck is not recommended for use with a truck camper? (I'm sure your light camper will be fine...) From what I have heard from a VERY reputable source, RAM messed up the rear suspension geometry on the coil 2500's pretty badly. Keep an eye toward AEV's RAM kit for a VERY well designed and well tuned suspension system!! :)

Chris

Mine came with the proper loading instructions for a truck camper. I believe the trucks with the note stating not to use a camper have the snow-plow prep package. If there is a problem with the rear coil geometry I've not experienced it or heard anything about it.

GCecchetto

Adventurer

Chris

There isn't any warning anywhere advising against carrying a camper. I did briefly read something about that on the TDR, and could see where the truck might sway back and forth more with a huge Arctic Fox in the bed since the coils are so much more compliant, but I didn't figure my little camper would be an issue. I've read quite a lot of posts from people with campers loving how the truck carries them. A smaller version of this suspension has been in the 1500's for a while no so I doubt it's "really messed up". I don't know if this suspension was released in the 13 model year or if it's new this year. If it was released last year, maybe they have made some changes. It sure drives like a dream, everything is so solid compared to the Tundra. I likes it!

1stDeuce

Explorer
Sorry, didn't mean that you should scrap it, just that there was ample room for AEV to improve on the factory design from what I saw of the early geometry. Rear upper and lower arms on the 1500 are not far apart at the axle, and almost in the same plane at the frame, which induces/allows quite a bit more axle hop than a 4-link should have. The early 2500 that I saw suggested that they didn't learn anything from the 1500, and carried the same geometry over to the 2500 as well. In addition, the suspension nerd in me thinks that the roll center is a little low on the back as compared to the front. Not something the average drive around the block would reveal, but raising the rear roll center a bit would stabilize the rear end more, particularly when loaded. Hopefully all of these things were fixed on the production suspension. None of them are things you'd notice in the everyday ride and handling of the truck, just opportunities for the aftermarket to do better!! :)

The coil suspension was supposed to release in '13, but it had "issues" and didn't make it out until '14. Hopefully fixing some of the things I saw was the reason it took an extra year to get it out!! :) Glad it's working well for you, and that they don't have a "no campers" sticker in the glove box. I doubt that snowplow prep would mean no camper, but you never know these days... At one time, getting a Cummins meant you couldn't get snowplow prep!

Just realized that adding airbags to this one is cake, and cheap!! And no travel issues either!

Glad that you like it, now let's see some pics with your camper in the bed!! :sombrero:

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Sorry, didn't mean that you should scrap it, just that there was ample room for AEV to improve on the factory design from what I saw of the early geometry. Rear upper and lower arms on the 1500 are not far apart at the axle, and almost in the same plane at the frame, which induces/allows quite a bit more axle hop than a 4-link should have. The early 2500 that I saw suggested that they didn't learn anything from the 1500, and carried the same geometry over to the 2500 as well. In addition, the suspension nerd in me thinks that the roll center is a little low on the back as compared to the front. Not something the average drive around the block would reveal, but raising the rear roll center a bit would stabilize the rear end more, particularly when loaded. Hopefully all of these things were fixed on the production suspension. None of them are things you'd notice in the everyday ride and handling of the truck, just opportunities for the aftermarket to do better!! :)

The coil suspension was supposed to release in '13, but it had "issues" and didn't make it out until '14. Hopefully fixing some of the things I saw was the reason it took an extra year to get it out!! :) Glad it's working well for you, and that they don't have a "no campers" sticker in the glove box. I doubt that snowplow prep would mean no camper, but you never know these days... At one time, getting a Cummins meant you couldn't get snowplow prep!

Just realized that adding airbags to this one is cake, and cheap!! And no travel issues either!

Glad that you like it, now let's see some pics with your camper in the bed!! :sombrero:

No worries, I'm not like the ford fanatics that will stab you in the heart if you second guess whether or not fords are the best. Never mind the fact that they have had four different diesel motors in the last 8 or 10 years. It's because they're always getting more awesome, not that they sucked and had to be replaced.

Anyway, I hope they figured it out. Between Carli and AEV, I'm sure the parts will be out there to solve any problems given enough cash to pay the band. I'll be loading up the Sherpa first thing tomorrow AM so I can figure out just how much work I have to get it tied down, Not too worried about the front, but the rear will be a pain. As far as the snow plow prep group goes, I can't imagine how that would affect anything either. All that group gives you is a bigger alternator and a transfer case skid plate. I guess they're afraid the snow furls might damage the transfer case????

Last edited:

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
As far as the snow plow prep group goes, I can't imagine how that would affect anything either. All that group gives you is a bigger alternator and a transfer case skid plate. I guess they're afraid the snow furls might damage the transfer case????

Don't take that to the bank guys, that just sticks in my mind as something that was noted on the Cummins Forum. I'll see if I can dig into it a bit when I have a little time. All I know is that the truck camper restriction is only on some 2500s, not most.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Sorry for the delay in getting photos of the Ram/Sherpa marriage. While the camper does fit, it's not the sexiest look. More of a mud hen really. The photos below don't really show it very well, but as it turns out, the bed of the Ram in 1" deeper at the tailgate than it is at the cab. This absolutely looks like crap with the camper in. Not only do I have way too much gap between the top of the bed rail and the bottom of the camper overhang, the gap runs out by an inch along the length of the bed rail, yuck!!!!! There is also too much gap between the top of the cab and the camper, as well as from the back of the cab to the front wall of the camper, but at least the angle is correct. My mind is going 100 mph trying to figure out the best west to shim up the back of the camper to even out the reveal (hoping that doesn't totally screw up the angle to cab fit) but still fully supporting the floor of the camper. I'm also thinking on overtime about what to do to camouflage the huge gap at the bed rail. So far I'm thinking about a rack to carry sand mats, but they will stick out a ways so they might looks crappy too.

Here's the fit. Keep in mind, that shadows from the sun directly above make it hard to see the gap and run out.

20140707_170856.jpg 20140707_170924.jpg 20140707_171141.jpg

One advantage of the new setup is the tie downs. I now have room for a turnbuckle at the front so it's way easier to adjust the tie down. At the back I went to the jack bracket and the angle i have no on the tie downs does a much better job of keeping the camper in place.

Here's the new rear connection.

20140707_171008.jpg

I have some other progress photos that I will try to get posted this evening.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism