The Dirt Sherpa Build

bill harr

Adventurer
One person still following (I am subscribed). Really like the alum for the dinette, wish I would have thought of that. I am a better metal worker than wood worker.
Looking forward to more of your build.

Bill

PS I like your KTM, I used to ride enduros now an old fart and get around on a K1600GT.

wvtradbow

Observer
Wow,this is like taking a "factory tour"... FWC should be following your thread,so the next time they want to upgrade their line..

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Thanks Guys. I'm in a total crunch to get the dinette functional before my son and I leave on this years road/off road trip on the 31st, so I haven't had a lot of time for photos and explanations of what I'm doing, but will try to get another post with some pics up this weekend. Wish I hadn't let this go like I did, the crunch to get this done in such a short period of time is probably leading to some decisions I'll later regret. I'm already wishing I had made the aluminum storage lockers under the dinette seating a couple of inches wider. At the time I made the decision I didn't want it sticking out past the door jamb any further (about 2" as it is), but in retrospect it would have made the leg room under the table much roomy if I had made it a couple inches wider. Not having had another camper like this to compare to, it's hard to say if it's more cramped than the norm or not. Seating is roughly 18" wide with about 14" width for legs under the table. Seats are separated 17" front to back.

Last edited:

worldherewecome

Not experienced to be able to compare the sizes, but I do appreciate that as/when my build gets going in anger over the coming months, I'll be spending ages agonising over such details, and will likely resign to giving it a go and making plenty of decisions I'll layer learn from ;)

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Okay, been working like a rented donkey all weekend. Fortunately my son has been great about helping and took on a serious electrical upgrade from the temp wiring we've had so far. There's still a good bit of the electrical that is temporary, but it will be that way until we take on the main casework build out. Below are a few crappy photos, taken around 9:30 PM, I'll post some better photos after I pop the top the first time this season. Planing to get the foam for the dinette seats cut tomorrow but upholstery will have to wait until we return. Not sure how much I like the light ply I used for the base of the dinette seating. It's very light but seems easily damaged. Hopefully it survives our trip so I can get the P-Lam and vinyl edge banding installed on it.

20150726_212006.jpg 20150726_211935.jpg 20150726_211921.jpg 20150726_211838.jpg

One sig lighter and one dual USB outlets.
20150726_212022.jpg

Last edited:

worldherewecome

That is looking awesome. When you get a chance, would you mind sharing a photo of the inside construction of your benches? To show where the alu facing attaches to, where the strength comes from etc. Considering alu profile for the internal furniture and framework, but would be interested in how you built yours to help inform. Good effort over the weekend, that's a strong push!

GCecchetto

Adventurer
That is looking awesome. When you get a chance, would you mind sharing a photo of the inside construction of your benches? To show where the alu facing attaches to, where the strength comes from etc. Considering alu profile for the internal furniture and framework, but would be interested in how you built yours to help inform. Good effort over the weekend, that's a strong push!

Thanks. Yes, I'll post some photos of the interior of the under seat storage when I have a few moments of spare time. Still a lot to do before we leave Friday morning.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Thanks Bill. Hoping it holds up. The aluminum substrate will allow me to peel and reapply if it gets ratty looking. The under seat storage is carpeted on the inside as well so we don't have everything in there turning gray from rubbing against the aluminum.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Well......this is probably the last you will hear from me until after our trip. See below for some more photos including the requested shot of the interiors of the under seat storage. Please remember, none of this is a finished product at this time.

The dinette.
20150729_192642.jpg

Doors on the under seat storage.
20150729_192935.jpg 20150729_192736.jpg

Inside the the under seat storage compartments.
20150729_192722.jpg 20150729_193025.jpg

Electrical now where it belongs, although much of this is temporary.
20150729_192852.jpg

Okay, that's it for now. Headed out Friday AM for Idaho to do the Magruder Corridor and the Lolo Motorway.

worldherewecome

Excellent, thanks for the pics before you go. Angle and rivets; light and strong. Have a great trip and look forward to hearing about both your adventure and how the cabin works for you. All the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism