The era of the 100 is here.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Big News

Okay 24HOURSOFNEVADA, are you going to share the big news with the group?

Shopping a little more seriously now?

gearguywb

Explorer
you guys are killing me. I have been trying to refrain from buying (and building) a 100......this IS NOT helping.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Redline said:
Okay 24HOURSOFNEVADA, are you going to share the big news with the group?

Shopping a little more seriously now?

Yeah, I started a thread in the jeep section titled "She's Gone." Why are all the white 100's so far away??

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Dumb question, perhaps, but what is the similarity between the 100 and the Prado? We don't get the Prado in the US (although we get the very similar looking Lexus GX470, I think it is.) We had a Prado over in Kuwait and it was a pretty nice vehicle - very luxurious, pretty powerful. I thought it was a little top heavy, though, and not terribly roomy inside. The biggest difference between the Prado and the Lexus is that the Lexus has a liftgate with the spare tire under the frame and the Prado had a side-opening door with the spare mounted to the door (like the Montero or Trooper.) The Prado's we had also had a huge fuel tank - something like 45 gallons total. There was a cool little trip computer that would tell you how much range you had left - on a full tank it was something like 1200kms! :Wow1: My guess is that the place on the Lexus that is occupied by the spare tire is occupied by a gas tank on the Prado.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Yeah, I started a thread in the jeep section titled "She's Gone." Why are all the white 100's so far away??

Several years ago I searched for several months for a white one...gave up and bought my brown one (go figure!)...but since I like espresso....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Martinjmpr said:
We don't get the Prado in the US (although we get the very similar looking Lexus GX470, I think it is.)
The Prado is the 120 series Land Cruiser and our current 4Runner and GX470 are both very similar to the Prado. Also the FJ Cruiser is closely related, using the same platform. But of all of them, the Lexus is probably the closest to the Prado you saw in Kuwait (well except that it's not diesel and is really fancy).

http://www.toyota120.com/

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
DaveInDenver said:
The Prado is the 120 series Land Cruiser and our current 4Runner and GX470 are both very similar to the Prado. Also the FJ Cruiser and Tacoma are both closely related, using the same platform. But of all of them, the Lexus is probably the closest to the Prado you saw in Kuwait (well except that it's not diesel and is really fancy).

Oh, our Prados were gas, as were all of our non-tactical vehicles. Diesels are common in parts of the world where fuel is expensive, but fuel is very cheap in Kuwait (on the order of $0.25/US per gallon.) For that reason, diesels are rare. Also, Kuwait is the only place outside the US where large US trucks and SUVs are common.

Our Prados were also very fancy. The trip computer was amazing. About the only high end accessories it didn't have were leather seats and sattelite nav.

Much nicer than driving around in a soft-top hummer in 125+ temperatures!

Brian894x4

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
The Prado is the 120 series Land Cruiser and our current 4Runner and GX470 are both very similar to the Prado. Also the FJ Cruiser and Tacoma are both closely related, using the same platform. But of all of them, the Lexus is probably the closest to the Prado you saw in Kuwait (well except that it's not diesel and is really fancy).

Not the Tacoma, actually. The new Tacoma shares the same front suspension and some drivetrain parts, but that's about it. The frame and rear suspension are nearly carbon copies of the 1st generation Tundra, which is an entirely different chassis, than the Prado/4runner/FJ/Hilux...unfortunately.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
spressomon said:
Several years ago I searched for several months for a white one...gave up and bought my brown one (go figure!)...but since I like espresso....

I've found a few white ones in Utah, we'll see what happens. I also found a really cool brown one (Just like yours) in Utah. Can we say road trip!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
gearguywb said:
you guys are killing me. I have been trying to refrain from buying (and building) a 100......this IS NOT helping.

C'mon...you know you want too. it's what all the kewl kids that really want a LandRover 110 are doing. :D

DaveInDenver

Brian894x4 said:
Not the Tacoma, actually. The new Tacoma shares the same front suspension and some drivetrain parts, but that's about it. The frame and rear suspension are nearly carbon copies of the 1st generation Tundra, which is an entirely different chassis, than the Prado/4runner/FJ/Hilux...unfortunately.
Sorry, edited my post to mix that mistake. I dunno, saw it on the Toyota120 website. Isn't the Hilux is based on the IMV and not the 120 platform? I have no idea

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Brian894x4 said:

The frame is common up to the driver- it's c-channel after. I believe that is correct. Front suspension, drivetrain, engine are the same as the Prado. 1GR-FE. It has enough in common that I would call it a "offshoot" of the 120.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Life_in_4Lo said:
The frame is common up to the driver- it's c-channel after. I believe that is correct. Front suspension, drivetrain, engine are the same as the Prado. 1GR-FE. It has enough in common that I would call it a "offshoot" of the 120.

I can't say this for 100%, but I don't believe there is any commonality between the two frames, including the front section. As mentioned, the middle and rear sections are different, because the Tacoma uses C-channel from the middle back, just like the 1st generation Tundra, while the Hilux is fully boxed front to rear.

But the TAcoma frame is designed and built by Dana and I don't believe the Hilux frame is, I would imagine the two are completely unrelated, except perhaps in how the front suspension attaches to it.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Interesting that this thread should get so involved in gas mileage. It is the biggest problem I have with my 100, and not so much from the cost standpoint as the range limits.

As an FYI the jury is still out but I saw a significant drop in mileage after the front ARB install. No other changes to tires, lift or suspension.

When we first got the rig we did a trip from Reno to San Francisco. and averaged around 20 MPG.

Last month we made a trip from Reno to the Southern Oregon Coast and averaged around 16 MPG. The passes were similar to the first trip but the roads didn't allow as consistent a speed so that may also be a factor.

Since I have a dedicated trail rig the 100 won't see as many mods as some of you will make. My goal is to keep it light and close to stock. So no massive bumpers, roof racks, or tall rubber. After seeing what the rig can do stock I don't feel the need base on our expected usage. BTW we love the IFS, if you want to cover a lot of ground fast on dirt/gravel roads it is the kitties titties.

Maybe somebody can explain to me why a IFS is a bad thing in an expedition vehicle?

DaveInDenver

Brian894x4 said:
But the TAcoma frame is designed and built by Dana and I don't believe the Hilux frame is, I would imagine the two are completely unrelated, except perhaps in how the front suspension attaches to it.
Dana has built Toyota frames for a while now (since 1994), but I would have my doubts that they designed the frame. The Hilux is not based on the 120-platform, so it probably doesn't share much in common with the Taco. But the Tacoma does, I think, share some commonality with the 4Runner again, as well as the Prado, FJ Cruiser, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3