The Fake Jeep Not a Real Cruiser Thread

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
...I think the Wrangler and the FJC are probably the least fancy vehicles available and as (such) get my support...

I will agree on that count. While the plastics are hard and show scratch marks easily, I rather like the fact that my FJC is relatively low-trim. If I wanted a better appointed interior I would have gone for something more upscale, but I wanted functionality first. To my enduring surprise the FJC delivers well as a commuter, highway hauler, beach runner, and whatever else I need it to do. Sure it needs some airbags in the rear coils for heavier loads and towing, and I need to upgrade the OE suspension anyway, but after 3yrs and 80k miles I have been very pleased with the truck in stock form.
:safari-rig:
Side Note: When I was looking full-size pickups I couldn't believe how hard it was to find one without a center console. I'd much rather have a 40/20/40 front seat in a truck with a fold-down center section (and the open front floorboard that comes with it) in a truck that I intended to equip to my wants and needs. Of course I ended up with an FJC that only comes with a center console, lol.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks for the review etc., an FJC might very well be my next "expo" rig. I have been looking around for candidates that might be available in a few years, and there aren't many I have found worthy. I don't quite fit comfortably in a Wrangler Unlimited, or a Rubi would likely be in my future. I have ridden on a trail in Moab in an FJC, and while the sight lines are not ideal, in almost every other respect it would be perfect for me. Now if we could only get the prices down some...

Do you guys think it is worth looking for a FJC with the factory rear locker, as opposed to installing an aftermarket locker? Having gotten used to lockers (my Trooper has front/rear ARBs) I think I would want a locker... or two.

I felt the same way driving the JK's. I have had the opportunity to use a 2 door JK in Baja, drive Dave Harriton's hemi AEV JKU (the one that was on that TV show), a Brute Double Cab, that diesel AEV JK, a 2011 AEV JK, and a standard JKUR. So I do have some time in the JK's and I have alot of respect for them and would kill to have an AEV rig, especially a Brute Double Cab. But where my reality lies, thats not in my means. Looking at used JK's, you will find they sell used for practically the price of new. The Rubicon is arguably the best choice for this type of use since it's axles and drivetrain are plenty up to the task. Lower trim levels seem to have issues with axle housing's bending and other unsavory attributes that aren't conducive to being loaded up and getting used hard. I think there is no arguement, stock versus stock, and built versus built, the Rubicon Unlimited has higher levels of ability in tough, technical terrain. They do great and have a HUGE aftermarket. The newer interiors are a huge improvement and the ride is even pretty quiet inside depending on the top. The new engine seems to have addressed the power issue and hopefully the issues with the Pentastar V6 have been addressed.

Here is why I DIDN'T choose a Wrangler.... Like I just mentioned, the used values are crazy high. I think a Wrangler would be one of the few vehicles that I would rather buy new than used. FJ Cruiser's also have high resale but not quite what the Wrangler has. The FJC and the JKUR have almost the same interior space, the FJC has just a tad more. In the Wrangler, it is a relatively boxy shape, though the roll bar is a bit intrusive and compromises that packing space somewhat. The used Wrangler's in the price range of what I bought my FJC for are pre 2011's, with the older interior and that anemic V6. While the power isn't great, what bugs me the most about it is how buzzy that motor is. With a manual tranny, the heavy flywheel becomes apparent. I love old truck motors, inline 6's, v8's, etc. This doesn't capture any of the old agricultural type feel of an old Rover, Cruiser, Jeep, etc, it just feels thrashy. In my price range, I couldn't get a Rubicon trim JKU either. In my view the Rubicon is the only candidate to use for overland travel with its stronger drivetrain. The Wranglers don't ride as well on the road, they feel a bit flimsier (completely subjective yes), and don't have the level of interior protection that the FJC has. The ride quality between the two is night and day. And from my experience with Toyota products I think the FJC will continue to feel tighter after miles and miles of abuse. Additionally, from a capability standpoint, with the rear locker and Atrac, the FJC very closely approaches the JKUR's ability offroad, though with a touch less elegance. (IFS seems to cause more vehicle bouncing and bobbing in rough terrain from that lack of droop and articulation)

So for me, from a practical standpoint of money, the FJC had more value. Again, our use is for that of a daily driver and safe kiddo hauler, and for travelling. I think its a bit of a no brainer which vehicle is more enjoyable on long trips. The FJC has a roomier feeling interior with a tall roof over the passenger compartment. Sight lines are find for travelling offroad in my view. The best vehicles for visibilty I feel are Discoveries, Range Rover Classics, 60 series, 80 series, and 100 series Land Cruisers. The view out and specifically down towards the trail are best in the Rovers. The views out, up, and around are better in the Cruisers. The FJC allows you to see down and out OK for on the trail, but the view out, specifically upwards is what I find the biggest problem with. One major plus for the Land Cruisers in the ability to see all around you and up with the moonroofs at the great scenery you are driving through, not so much with the FJC. I wish the windshield was 3 inches closer to the driver, a couple of inches taller, and the roof was flat versuses rounded to allow for better use of the rear storage. I am nitpicking though.

I would say yes, look for a factory locker. The A Track is actually in all the FJC's, whether they have the button or not. You can simply install the button and voila, have Atrac. FJC's with a rear locker likely won't have a higher asking price than those without so its worth finding one with since it is a free upgrade. Installing ARB's as you know aren't a cheap option. With Atrac and the rear locker the FJC is quite capable. Without, much less so. Where as my 80 series articulates well and keeps the rubber on the ground, the FJC lifts tires alot easier making obstacles tougher sooner without a traction aid. Not sure how tough of trails you plan on running, but the front locker would only help in the most extreme of circumstances. Hope that helps.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
My wife and I had to make the same decision when our Disco committed suicide. We narrowed the choices to a JKUR or FJ Cruiser. Both had the capabilities we wanted, so we test drove both back to back. We went with the FJC due to it's road manners, and the additional towing capacity over the JKUR. Most of our travels start with a 10-18 hour drive, and so far it's been great. The main design flaw I've seen with it is the egg shaped rear end. It makes it very hard to pack for an extended trip due to virtually no right angles in the back. Our build closely resembles yours. The factory roof rack is pretty useless, and ours will be changed to an ARB shortly. We've owned it 18 months, and it now has 41,000 miles on it, with approximately 9,000 of those being off road. It has had no mechanical issues of any kind, and the ATRAC is amazing. Ours is a 2012, and the ATRAC doesn't disable the locker. I originally planned to install an air locker in the front, but have since changed my mind. The ATRAC makes sharp, switchback type turns on steep hills much easier than a locked front end. Since it is normally just the two of us on trips, we take out the seat bases in the rear (a 5 minute task), and fold the seats down. This helps a lot with packing the truck, but wouldn't be an option with a child seat. The FJ's capability and durability can't be beat, and we like the unusual styling. If the rear was more "box like" I couldn't imagine a better truck for our purposes. Safe Travels!
IMG_0105.jpg

Nice looking setup. What rear bumper is that? Have you upgraded the springs? I agree with your point on the atrac as it is a transparent aid. It works great, though less seamless than that of the LR4 which has a GREAT system.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I will agree on that count. While the plastics are hard and show scratch marks easily, I rather like the fact that my FJC is relatively low-trim. If I wanted a better appointed interior I would have gone for something more upscale, but I wanted functionality first. To my enduring surprise the FJC delivers well as a commuter, highway hauler, beach runner, and whatever else I need it to do. Sure it needs some airbags in the rear coils for heavier loads and towing, and I need to upgrade the OE suspension anyway, but after 3yrs and 80k miles I have been very pleased with the truck in stock form.
:safari-rig:
Side Note: When I was looking full-size pickups I couldn't believe how hard it was to find one without a center console. I'd much rather have a 40/20/40 front seat in a truck with a fold-down center section (and the open front floorboard that comes with it) in a truck that I intended to equip to my wants and needs. Of course I ended up with an FJC that only comes with a center console, lol.

Good point on the interior plastics.... They do scratch easy. Meant to mention that already. I have already scratched up the rear compartment area from the use of one of my aluminum storage cases.

The center console is low though. My fiance is able to get to the back while driving fairly easy to attend the baby. Again, nice tall roof is helpful.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Nice looking setup. What rear bumper is that? Have you upgraded the springs? I agree with your point on the atrac as it is a transparent aid. It works great, though less seamless than that of the LR4 which has a GREAT system.

x2 on the spring inquiry. Front and Rear bumpers looks like Aluminess.

Good point on the interior plastics.... They do scratch easy. Meant to mention that already. I have already scratched up the rear compartment area from the use of one of my aluminum storage cases.

The center console is low though. My fiancé is able to get to the back while driving fairly easy to attend the baby. Again, nice tall roof is helpful.

Yeah, I think anyone who has used their FJC finds out really quick that the rear storage area surfaces get all marked up rather quickly, sorta like a truck bed without a bedliner. And I share your feelings on the narrow/short windscreen, the roofline, and the headroom. If they had raised the front and back of the roofline to make it a little flatter (in effect squaring up the top of the vehicle) Toyota would have kept the fabulous headroom while improving forward visibility and rear storage capacity. Even rear seat passengers who don't like the lack of outward visibility make comments on the generous headroom. But there's no such thing as the perfect vehicle, is there, lol. It's always gonna be a compromise between size, performance, luxury, utility, and obviously cost. I do think the FJC hits a sweet spot not many other vehicles can in stock form, the JKU being the obvious comparison despite their many small differences.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I would say yes, look for a factory locker. The A Track is actually in all the FJC's, whether they have the button or not. You can simply install the button and voila, have Atrac. FJC's with a rear locker likely won't have a higher asking price than those without so its worth finding one with since it is a free upgrade. Installing ARB's as you know aren't a cheap option. With Atrac and the rear locker the FJC is quite capable. Without, much less so. Where as my 80 series articulates well and keeps the rubber on the ground, the FJC lifts tires alot easier making obstacles tougher sooner without a traction aid. Not sure how tough of trails you plan on running, but the front locker would only help in the most extreme of circumstances. Hope that helps.

I have always had an IFS rig, so lifting a front tire is something I'm accustomed to.

While my days of thrashing over rockpiles are more or less behind me, it would not be out of the question to run, say, Golden Spike or the Rubicon. That would be the worst of it though. While a front locker would make the Golden Crack easier, it isn't probably worth the expense for the wheeling I do these days.

And I agree, if the rear locker doesn't carry much of a premium in the marketplace then it is a no-brainer.

brushogger

Explorer
The front and rear bumpers are both made by Aluminess. When I started setting it up, I wanted to keep the weight down as much as possible since I knew we would be heavily loaded most of the time. I was a little leery of going aluminum as I didn't know how well it would hold up to our constant loads and winching. I spoke with them and learned they produce the bumpers for the Sportsmobile vans. He said many of them are one ton vans that weigh over 10,000lbs loaded. He has never had a warranty claim form winching on any of them. The front (not including the winch) only added 38 lbs. The rear bumper with swingaways only weighs 74. I had one issue with the right swing arm interfering with the rear door handle. He, figured out the problem, immediately built me a new bumper, shipped it to me and paid for return shipping of the old one all on his dime. Great sevice from the seller and the bumper. The only issue with the swing arms is having to deal with two separate latches to open the rear door ( minor issue for me, a little more than minor for for my wife). The big plus is there is room in the box for 2 -5gal fuel cans and an ammo box that contains the recovery gear. I built a hinged locking bar to secure the cans and box that is easily removable. We also put a 5 gal Swiss Mil water bladder on top retained with a motorcycle tie down and bungie cords. This is a very secure and convenient location for water. I upgraded to the Ironman suspension with the constant load springs and foam cell shocks. I also installed Light Racing uca's at the recommendation of Mark at Metaltech. We're very pleased so far with the ride, and it clears the 285/70/17 Duratracs without a body mount chop. My wife said the ride makes her feel more secure off road than the stock suspension did.

IMG_0137.jpg

Last edited:

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Just returned from our outing in the San Juan's. The FJC did great. Really surprised at how well the Atrac did. We had plenty of wet weather and slick rocks to test it on. I will give a bit more of a recap on our impressions tomorrow. For now, here is a photo essay from the trip...

http://kristiansaile.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/touring-the-san-juans-of-colorado-with-a-newborn/

Wow....that's a great way to use your FJC & Get your new little one ready for adventure! We've always waited until 3 months before hitting the trail. Hats off ;)

Expedition Leader
... and the ATRAC is amazing. Ours is a 2012, and the ATRAC doesn't disable the locker. I originally planned to install an air locker in the front, but have since changed my mind. The ATRAC makes sharp, switchback type turns on steep hills much easier than a locked front end.

I agree that A-TRAC works really well most of the time. My only complaint with it is that a wheel(s) has to break loose and spin before it will engage. If you're going up something really steep for example, or any other obstacle where control and finesse are required, then it can be disconcerting and/or inconvenient for traction to break loose even briefly. I put an ARB air locker in my front diff and like having the options of open, A-TRAC, or locked. I don't use the front locker all that much, but on some kinds of obstacles (like tall rock ledges for example), it's like having an easy button.

brushogger

Explorer
I agree that A-TRAC works really well most of the time. My only complaint with it is that a wheel(s) has to break loose and spin before it will engage. If you're going up something really steep for example, or any other obstacle where control and finesse are required, then it can be disconcerting and/or inconvenient for traction to break loose even briefly. I put an ARB air locker in my front diff and like having the options of open, A-TRAC, or locked. I don't use the front locker all that much, but on some kinds of obstacles (like tall rock ledges for example), it's like having an easy button.

Not disagreeing at all. My FJ is the first vehicle I've had with a selectable locker. I'm amazed at the difference it makes. Doh!I never thought about the Atrac still being active with the front locker unlocked. I have read quite a few threads in the blue room saying to go easy with the front locker if you have stock axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Wow....that's a great way to use your FJC & Get your new little one ready for adventure! We've always waited until 3 months before hitting the trail. Hats off ;)
Thanks! We did some day outings to test the waters a bit to see how Kruz would do in such a bumpy environment. He really seemed to be fine, even at the high altitudes. For a first real trial run with the new vehicle AND the baby, it went really well. Even with the rain it turned out great. Thankfully having a RTT and changing room made it all easy with the little one. Sometimes the luxuries are in fact nice.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient

My applications of ATrac so far had me finding it suprisingly good steep obstacles, even in the wet. Where as using the rear diff lock would get me wheelspin, the Atrac would spin momentarily and when it seemed all hope was lost, it found traction and got us up and over. The transparency of the system on obstacles with sharp corners was even more apparent. On our trip last weekend in the San Juans, there are alot of steep switchback turns with steep ledges that were effortless with Atrac but caused a fair amount of wheel spin with the diff lock. Obviously diff locks work best in a straight line. I am debating if I am even going to deal with the hack on my truck. The climbing ability right now excedes what I need most of the time.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Ok, so I finally have a few moments to put some of my thoughts from the weekend into words. First off the packing went better than I expected. I managed to pack our food, water, cooler, stove, recovery gear, camping gear, tools, and clothing in the FJC, all behind the rear seats. With the back seats up I had the baby's car seat and the dog using the rest of the space. All gear was lashed down securely in the back and I had room to spare. I was a bit surprised. I did so by consolidating down the gear into more compact storage pieces. All of my usual overlanding kit hangs out in their respective storage till I need to go on a trip, then I simply just throw it all in the vehicle and roll. Its really been some time since I paired down and reorganized my stuff.

We brought everything we needed, even had the PETT toilette, the lower enclosure for the RTT, a couple of camping chairs, two hammocks, and a small table. We didn't skimp and were pretty much covered for any contigency. With a roof basket to get the RTT down a bit lower and some room for spare fuel, my highlift, and probably a Zarges case, I think the packing will be a breeze.

I learned that the stock springs are not up for the task of dealing with this kind of load, as spare as it was. I had considerable sag in the rear, bad enough to make my low beams obnoxious for oncoming drivers. With the RTT I found the handling to be affected, but more in a fore aft plane than side to side. Body motion side to side was controlled still, but under acceleration or braking the nose would dive and pitch alot. I think the cargo load plus the bumpers and winch make for a respectable amount of weight. Hopefully an OME heavy lift will address this along with some slight rubbing I am getting in the front when I have the wheels turned hard and am on a decline.

The first tank to Gunnison on pavement netted us 21mpg which was great. Subsequent tanks where we were spending the day in low range and aired down I was getting from 14-17mpg. Still not bad really compared to what I am used to in my 80 series.

I mentioned earlier my admiration for A Trac. We had alot of wet conditions on this trip and we took all the harder options along the way and were impressed. I would stop all forward momentum and really tax the system and every time it got me through. These FJC's really lift wheels easy but the ATrac steps in and keeps me moving. I found myself just leaving Atrac on in low range and not messing with the locker.

To me the hallmark of a great vehicle is that it needs the least to be good at everything. I am finding this to fit that bill. After 3 days of challenging terrain and weather, we simply aired up (love the Powerplant) and hit the highway back home. The ride is comfortable, quiet, and really enjoyable. I am hard pressed to think of another rig that combines the economy, power, offroad ability, and onroad comfort/ride as well. Sure there are alot of rigs that do pretty much all of those areas better than the FJC, but not sure many do ALL as well. So far, so good, I am enjoying it. Still taking things one at a time. This weekend we are going to travel from Crested Butte to Frisco, the scenic way. Will post up pics next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater