The Frankenstein Build: 1996 Tacoma Long Travel/Expo/Trail Rig

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
After the Lander shake down run. I felt like the truck was Okay. Still not DONE. but was wheeling just fine!

So i packed it back up for the next weekend and set off on the longest trip id done at this point. I set off to meet my good friends Mike and Ben once again this time in Idaho to run the Magruder Corridor and Lolo Motor way. Amazingly, Jess even came with me, the same girl that last time i had rolled the truck the last time she went on a trip with me.

It was a very long drive to Graingeville, ID. We left Sunday late afternoon and camped near Missoula MT the awoke early the next morning to try and make it on time. Highway 12 though in ID, as spectacular as it is, is VERY windy. Never have i gotten sick of corners till this highway haha so as per usual...i was late. But i pulled up and finally met up with Mike and Ben as well as Lisa from MT at the grocery store Mike had chosen.

It was a great moment. Just 3 months ago, Mike and Ben had seen first hand the disaster that was my truck. They were very happy to see the truck moving..even if it wasn't finished. They were just glad i was there.

After a bit of ******** chat we finally set off to hit the dirt. We took a slight detour and ran the Elk City Wagon Road the end right at the start of Magruder. it was pretty cool.

Kinda funny how tame everyones rig looks back then...even Frank haha

It was pretty and very different then Wyoming. So many trees! sadly, there was an obscene amount of fires in the area of all the trails so the haze was pretty bad. I think we counted 12 that we saw ourselves.

Then we started the magruder! Originally, we had no idea how rough these roads were going to be...they were so damn smooth. We made very good time on them.

IMG_4743 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

We hit our first detour called Burnt Knob Hill. An old look out point. We had hoped to camp there but two atvers had beat us there.

IMG_4798 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Me being dumb

IMG_4803 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr
_MG_3456.jpg

IMG_4851 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

But the old man's bones were aching so we had to find a camp spot and descended back down.

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
We continued on the next day. The weather was perfect this whole trip too i remember.

I pulled out the elk bugle to see if anything was out there..heard nothing back.

IMG_4939 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Someday something will talk back to me..keep it in the truck just in case :p

We eventually made it to the Salmon river

Couldnt resist taking a dip

There was a Y here, right was the Magruder, and left was a road called Paradise...we went left looking for a camp spot. And found Paradise.

IMG_4994 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

We ended up at a sorta camp ground that wasn't really a camp ground. Had a guy there living there though all summer. What a job that must be. He was a very interesting man and had some great storys. He enjoyed chatting with us and looking at our RTTs. This place was awesome.

_MG_3650.jpg

Lives up the name id say.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
We left that camp pretty slowly. It was just so awesome.

At the end of the road, we said good bye to Lisa and headed north to get on the Lolo Motorway.

While in town, i picked up a hitch hiker. As im sure you've noticed, Mikes Red truck has two dolls on the front. There were there in honor of a few friends that couldn't make it. So i got one for the other friend that didn't get to make it as well haha

He was canadian too so it was kinda funny.

We then hit the dirt. It was so awesome. It was different and yet the same as the magruder. I loved it.

We didn't get a whole lot of driving in and set up our camp on top of a mountain right off the road. It was a good site.

The next day though, we found another fire watch tower...apparently you can rent it out for a night and sleep in it. There was a couple moving in for the night there when we arrived and explained it was very hard to get it and is booked solid all summer very quickly. Pretty awesome though. 360º of view from inside it. Be awesome to stay there a night in a storm.

IMG_5126 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
We continued on to our last camp site together for the trip.

IMG_5086 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

Which sadly ended up at a campsite but had a lake.

This was the last night the three of us had before parting ways again.

IMG_5195 by Benjamin Springli, on Flickr

But my trip wasn't over. The next day i booked it to Bridger MT and met my dad and little brother for a trail south of there. If anyone saw the very very very 1st episode of XpeditonOverland back when it was actually good. This is that same trail.

We meet them in the middle of the dark. Pulled off somewhere and slept. The next morning we started off!

Look how cute the FRV was back then...ha!

It was awesome up here! The trial ends right before the lake in the shadow of Monument Peak. This is a far as you can drive. But you can hike anywhere. Its kinda funny, if you look on a map everywhere is wilderness area...except about 1' off the side of the road.

We then of course had to hike to the top!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein

Stopped at the cool old mine on the way down as we couldn't really camp up there and there was plenty of camping down on the river.

Then at camp my dad promptly broke my axe on his second swing by missing the long completely...haha Fiskar was super cool about it. Sent me a new one no questions asked.

On the way out the next morning we checked out the river. It has this odd feature that it disappears under ground for just a bit. In the run off season it over flows over the top though. Kinda cool.

And that was my first week long trip! With a barely competed rebuild truck! :D

Was super fun though.

More updates later!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Haha that's awesome. I've done Independence trail south of Big Timber a couple times. Never been all the way up though. Planning on getting up there and to the top of Monument Peak this summer. My fiancee worked at that very last church camp on the road for several summers. We really love that area. She's been to the top of the taller peak in the area. And that waterfall is fantastic.

I have this love affair with the Beartooths haha!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Haha that's awesome. I've done Independence trail south of Big Timber a couple times. Never been all the way up though. Planning on getting up there and to the top of Monument Peak this summer. My fiancee worked at that very last church camp on the road for several summers. We really love that area. She's been to the top of the taller peak in the area. And that waterfall is fantastic.

I have this love affair with the Beartooths haha!

How the hell have you never gone all the way?! It's pretty awesome. I like that trail. It's pretty easy really. But it's still fun and super pretty.

I think it's funny it ends 20 miles from goose lake as the crow flys. But there is no way to get anywhere further south then that road.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
How the hell have you never gone all the way?! It's pretty awesome. I like that trail. It's pretty easy really. But it's still fun and super pretty.

I think it's funny it ends 20 miles from goose lake as the crow flys. But there is no way to get anywhere further south then that road.

Haha it's always been too early when I've gone. Got stopped by snow. You're right, it is pretty easy. It sure is gorgeous though. It's on the list for this summer.

Yeah haha I've considered backpacking from Blue Lake to Goose, then down into Cooke. Would be a fun trip.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Haha it's always been too early when I've gone. Got stopped by snow. You're right, it is pretty easy. It sure is gorgeous though. It's on the list for this summer.

Yeah haha I've considered backpacking from Blue Lake to Goose, then down into Cooke. Would be a fun trip.

Ahhh that darn snow..it'll getcha. It is fun for sure. Very oretty. Hope there are no fires when you go. The first time I went was awesome. Second not quiet as cool.

My brother and I looked at doing that too actually haha looks fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues